soza

Tax Filing as Single or Married

25 posts in this topic

You can't e-file if your spouse doesn't have a SSN.

Mark & Ivy - CR-1 Journey

Arrived in Cebu - 04-8-09

Married - 04-20-09

Returned to US - 04-22-09

held up 6 months by mistakes made on our marriage contract by our municipality

and one small misspelling on her birth certificate.

CR-1

Finally mailed out I-130 packet to lock box - 01-19-10

NOA1 - Notice Date: 01-26-10 (arrived 02-12-10)

Email Notice from USCIS: Current Status: Approval notice sent. 04-07-10

NVC

Received NOA2 in the mail at 5pm.. Called NVC at 8pm and got our case number. 04-13-10

DS-3032 Accepted 04-19-10

AOS and IV Paid 04-20-10

Mailed out AOS package 04-28-10

Sent DS-230 package to NVC - 05-26-10

DS-230 Delivered to NVC 06-03-10

NVC Case completed 06-21-10.."Please wait 8 weeks.."

Received email from NVC 06-28-10, case forwarded to Manila - Interview Date scheduled for Aug 4th

EMBASSY

Passed the Medical tests at St. Lukes - 07-30-10

Embassy Interview - 08-04-10 Passed interview but was told to go to the NBI office to get a new NBI from when her middle name was misspelled.

Went back to the Embassy 08-05-10 and was approved. Tried to pick up the visa but she was told that she can't pick it up and it will be mailed to her home.

Lunico "Papa" Perino - 12/15/1960 - 12/17/2009

Yep true...I ended up filing head of household....I was divorced this year too and have a daughter that qualifies me. I will just file an ammendment when my wife gets her SSN.

For our Full timeline

event.png

Removal of conditions Journey

16 March 2012 Sent I-751 package from Aviano AB, Italy.

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

30 March 2012 Sent everything out again from Aviano AB, Italy.

10 April 2012 Check cashed

17 April 2012 Received NOA1 dated 6 April.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

You can file E-file if you spouse doesn't have a SSN and they do have an ITN. Got my refund check already. But thanks for playing :bonk:

Also if your spouse is not a resident alien you will not get any stimulus checks or rebates.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello Soza,

I am in the exact same boat as you, I got married in September 2009 and I filed married filing jointly. Even if you got married at 11:59p.m. On December 31st 2009 you can no longer file single according to the IRS. At first I went to H&R block and they told me to file single it sounded wrong to me so I did lots of research and found out that they are wrong (“IRS publication 519”). I actually filed a complaint with IRS about H&R block and had a major issue trying to get my filing fees refunded and ended up suing H&R block.

You have 3 options to file your return:

- Married filing separately – the easy option not much work and when they ask for wife’s SSN# you just write Non-resident alien “NRA” and you don’t need to do a W-7. You can get your refund faster and e-file.

- Married filing jointly – I recommend this since you will get more money back or if you owe you will owe less money or even get money back now. This option is nice since your wife doesn’t work because now your total income for the both of you will be just your income and if there was any deduction that you did not qualify because you made too much money now you can because you limit just doubled. For examples if you are single and make over 70K and you have student loan the interest it is not deductable, but with the MFJ option the limit 145K so now you can deduct it. Also thanks to the “make work pay tax credit” you are going to get $400 and another $400 for your wife this option.

This does require more work. You have to fill out a form W-7 and send you return and the W-7 form to the Austin, Texas address wait about 6 weeks for them to give your wife an ITIN number and then wait another 4 weeks for IRS to issue your refund and another 2 weeks for the check to come. You can’t e-file and you have to send in proof, an authentication copy by the U.S. embassy, of you wife’s passport. Personally I think this is also a good thing to have to use as proof at the interview.

- Head of Household – you can only do this if you have other dependent, kids, parents, brother, sister, ect…

Also on a personal note to everybody: Don’t use H&R block use their software or other programs. H&R block charged me $321 to file my return and in the end refuse to file my return because I wanted to go against their advice and file MFJ. I used TurboTax online $115 same amount of refund and I filed MFJ.

I am in the same situation,and will be taking your advice to file jointly. However, I will be filing for an extension (form 4868) for April 15th, and will be providing W-7 when I finally have everything ready.

Does my foreign spouse need to file a form 4868 as well? Or is that only for me to do at this moment?

It states: ITIN not needed for Forms 4868, 1040-ES, or 1040-ES (NR).

If you are filing an application for an extension of time to file using Form 4868, or making an estimated tax payment using Form 1040-ES or Form 1040-ES (NR), do not file Form W-7 with those forms. Enter “ITIN TO BE REQUESTED” wherever your SSN or ITIN is requested. An ITIN will be issued only after you file a tax return and meet all other requirements.

10/20/2008 We met in Portugal!

11/26/2008 Came to Canada

05/05/2009 Still learning visa process...considering CR-1 to the states or staying here in Canada.

from what i have read and talking to the IRS...yes you have to file an extension for your wife too... That is why i just decided to file and amend later.

I guess i could have paper filed the 4868 for my wife, but i wanted to e-file and of course turbotax wouldnt allow that without at least an ITIN.

Edited by Scott and Mhay

For our Full timeline

event.png

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

You can file E-file if you spouse doesn't have a SSN and they do have an ITN. Got my refund check already. But thanks for playing :bonk:

Also if your spouse is not a resident alien you will not get any stimulus checks or rebates.

Thanks for playing? Nobody is playing here tough guy.

There was a post that said something about e-filing without having a SSN. Now it is gone.

Maybe I should have elaborated more, but I was simply saying this late in the game, you can't e-file without a SSN. The form won't let you.

ITN is another story.

If I or someone is incorrect or missing some information, then just bring it up.

We are trying to help each other get the correct information. Not trying to look cool with smart #### replies.

Mark & Ivy - CR-1 Journey

Arrived in Cebu - 04-8-09

Married - 04-20-09

Returned to US - 04-22-09

held up 6 months by mistakes made on our marriage contract by our municipality

and one small misspelling on her birth certificate.

CR-1

Finally mailed out I-130 packet to lock box - 01-19-10

NOA1 - Notice Date: 01-26-10 (arrived 02-12-10)

Email Notice from USCIS: Current Status: Approval notice sent. 04-07-10

NVC

Received NOA2 in the mail at 5pm.. Called NVC at 8pm and got our case number. 04-13-10

DS-3032 Accepted 04-19-10

AOS and IV Paid 04-20-10

Mailed out AOS package 04-28-10

Sent DS-230 package to NVC - 05-26-10

DS-230 Delivered to NVC 06-03-10

NVC Case completed 06-21-10.."Please wait 8 weeks.."

Received email from NVC 06-28-10, case forwarded to Manila - Interview Date scheduled for Aug 4th

EMBASSY

Passed the Medical tests at St. Lukes - 07-30-10

Embassy Interview - 08-04-10 Passed interview but was told to go to the NBI office to get a new NBI from when her middle name was misspelled.

Went back to the Embassy 08-05-10 and was approved. Tried to pick up the visa but she was told that she can't pick it up and it will be mailed to her home.

Lunico "Papa" Perino - 12/15/1960 - 12/17/2009

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

from what i have read and talking to the IRS...yes you have to file an extension for your wife too... That is why i just decided to file and amend later.

I guess i could have paper filed the 4868 for my wife, but i wanted to e-file and of course turbotax wouldnt allow that without at least an ITIN.

This is a nightmare.

I want to file married jointly, however file an extension- but turboTax is forcing an EXTRA $400 "make work pay" credit, when i'm pretty sure she is ineligible for this. (she doesn't have an ITIN or SSN yet) I now have an incorrect amount that I need to pay the IRS.

Also I'm guessing for Form 4868 for my wife, she should just put $0 since all of her money is foreign earned income?

Edited by Cindo and Joe

10/20/2008 We met in Portugal!

11/26/2008 Came to Canada

05/05/2009 Still learning visa process...considering CR-1 to the states or staying here in Canada.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

Thanks for playing? Nobody is playing here tough guy.

There was a post that said something about e-filing without having a SSN. Now it is gone.

Maybe I should have elaborated more, but I was simply saying this late in the game, you can't e-file without a SSN. The form won't let you. ITN is another story.

If I or someone is incorrect or missing some information, then just bring it up.

We are trying to help each other get the correct information. Not trying to look cool with smart #### replies.

:oops:

B-) Who said I was a guy? I am hardly tough... and now you are saying I don't look cool?

B-) I spent a lot of money on these shades.

I was trying to :help: too, try not to take me so seriously

This is a nightmare.

I want to file married jointly, however file an extension- but turboTax is forcing an EXTRA $400 "make work pay" credit, when i'm pretty sure she is ineligible for this. (she doesn't have an ITIN or SSN yet) I now have an incorrect amount that I need to pay the IRS.

Also I'm guessing for Form 4868 for my wife, she should just put $0 since all of her money is foreign earned income?

If you want to file jointly, you have to report her foreign income. For me it works out good since my wife didnt work... It was getting late in the game and I just decided to file...turbotax said I should file head of household.

For our Full timeline

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Anybody heard of or used the 6013(g) exemption? I'm in the same boat as you all and since my husband's income last year was minimal, they suggested this.

Sorry, that should be 6013(g) election not exemption!

Road to Citizenship

04/23/2014 - N-400 Package Sent

04/25/2014 - N-400 Package Delivered

04/30/2014 - Received electronic notification

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.