Mark UK

Money, money, money

18 posts in this topic

Dear all,

We’re hoping to visit the UK for the first time in nearly four years this summer (finally!!!). However, I was wondering how to transfer money to pay for things such as hotels and car rental and such. We have US debit/credit cards but I’m loathe to use them very much over there as I’m sure they will take their chance to add all sorts of lovely fees and criminally poor exchange rates.

I have a UK bank account and credit card which I could transfer the money into from a currency exchange such as HIFX. My plan is to take a certain amount over in cash that should take care of some expenses, but things like hotel bills will need to be paid with a credit card. As such, I was planning to pay the credit cards off when I got back, that way I didn’t have to transfer too much money over there to my bank account and then have to pay to transfer it back again. I presume I would have to have warn my credit card company as I haven’t used the cards in some time.

How did anyone else handle money on their trips back to Blighty?

Mark

Kris and I just got back from the UK (loved it!) on our own visit. We paid for the bulk of small items with credit card. What he also did is take a good amount over in cash and hit the currency exchange building in his town. Was easy and fast. We were lucky enough to have family to stay with although we did rent a car which was paid for with a UK credit card.

Enjoy the trip. We can't wait to go back to visit and move eventually :)

Check with the bank who holds your debit card account and ask what their fees are for using the card overseas. Many times you will find the fee is less than the 'premium' you would pay for currency exchange across the pond.

Once abroad, if you are selling dollars, I'd suggest selling to the banks in town versus currency exchange houses. I've sold dollars both ways, and fared much better at a bank.

Third option - buy sterling before you go on xe.com. I don't think I need to give you the big lecture about carrying loads of cash. You're a grown-up. :P

NEVER buy sterling or euros in the airport. You'll get robbed blind.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

You can order money or pounds rather from your bank ...thus take cash. I use my credit card simply because I am to prone to losing things. Good luck.

You can stand me at the gates of hell, but I wont back down.
AOS Filed 02/01 however used wrong forms
refiled 2/22
NOA 3/1
BIO 3/18
Transfer 3/14
Touched 3/18
AP Approved 4/14(WASN'T UPDATED ON SIGHT OR TEXED TILL 4/18)
EAD Approved 4/14(WASN'T UPDATED ON SIGHT OR TEXED TILL 4/18)
GREEN CARD APPROVED WITH NO
INTERVIEW AND NO HAVING
TO TRANSCRIBE HIS SHOT RECORDS! 4/18!(WASN'T NOTIFIED TILL 4/19)

Applied for lifting of conditions 02/27/2013
NOA1 March 4
BIO April 2

RFE received 07/25

Returned RFE recieved 08/19

NOW WAITING WITH BAITED BREATH

APPROVED 9/9/2013

My credit union charges a 1% surcharge for foreign transactions and the current exchange rate...I guess it didn't seem so bad to me. Actually, I got some mail a while back about a class action suit against credit card companies for excessive exchange fees, so things may have changed since you checked last.

Our solution in the future is that Nik has just left his savings in Pounds in his old bank account. It's useful because he can do the 3rd class NHS contributions without worrying about exchange rates, and when we go visit we don't have to think too hard about this very subject.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Dear all,

We’re hoping to visit the UK for the first time in nearly four years this summer (finally!!!). However, I was wondering how to transfer money to pay for things such as hotels and car rental and such. We have US debit/credit cards but I’m loathe to use them very much over there as I’m sure they will take their chance to add all sorts of lovely fees and criminally poor exchange rates.

I have a UK bank account and credit card which I could transfer the money into from a currency exchange such as HIFX. My plan is to take a certain amount over in cash that should take care of some expenses, but things like hotel bills will need to be paid with a credit card. As such, I was planning to pay the credit cards off when I got back, that way I didn’t have to transfer too much money over there to my bank account and then have to pay to transfer it back again. I presume I would have to have warn my credit card company as I haven’t used the cards in some time.

How did anyone else handle money on their trips back to Blighty?

Mark

Here is what you should do my friend:

Book your hotel and car rental through a US company (such as expedia, orbitz, hotwire). This way, you will not only get excellent prices but also your credit card will just be charged in US$! hence completely eliminating the need for lovely credit card fees.

It is extremely unwise to use a US credit or debit card in any foreign country for the below reasons:

1) Crappy exchange rates

2) Foreign transaction fees which can be upto 4% of EACH transaction

3) High chance of identity theft and bogus charges if you use them at shady places as they know these cards are from US

For everyday expenses, I recommend getting a Travelex debit card (its available from all major US airports). You put a certain amount of money in it and bam your exchange rate is locked, there are no transaction fees and there is no chance of identity theft. Plus if there is any unused money left when you return, you can get your US dollars at the same rate as you used to purchase the UK pounds!

For everyday expenses, I recommend getting a Travelex debit card (its available from all major US airports). You put a certain amount of money in it and bam your exchange rate is locked, there are no transaction fees and there is no chance of identity theft. Plus if there is any unused money left when you return, you can get your US dollars at the same rate as you used to purchase the UK pounds!

Interesting.

Can you withdraw cash from it at ATM's in the UK?

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Wales
Timeline

Here's my experiences and suggestions. I've been to Wales 4 times in the last 15 months, and I recommend using your debit card (after verifying their international transaction fee). I read up a lot about this before my first trip on forums such as frommers.com and fodors.com and the majority recommended using ATMs for the best rate.

1. Debit card - I use a local bank (M & I bank) here in the U.S. where I got my Visa debit card issued. You get the best exchange rate (basically you get the rate on xe.com - the going exchange rate). It is the best rate I experienced during my trips. My debit card issuer charges a 1% tran fee. (So, this recent trip I got an exchange rate of right about 1.50 dollars to the GBP). When I used Lloyds banks ATMs (just because that's my fiance's bank over there and we were near them), I got the 1.5 rate from the ATM. I pulled out 200 GBPs for right about $300.00 and then got a $3.00 fee.

2. Credit card - next best choice. (Might be the first choice if you have a capital one credit card because they do not charge international transaction fees from what I've seen). They give you the current best exchange rate, but most will charge you a 3% fee.

3. Selling US dollars to get GBPs. When going to any walk-up counter, or even the bank and handing them a wad of US$ - you will pay a commission. I was confused because it would say "commission free" but the rate was $1.66+ So, I gave over $160 and got 93.xx GBP's. In the ATM...if I would have pulled out 100 GBPs with my credit card...I would have got the $1.50 rate...I would have paid just $150 + $1.50 and got 100 GBPs...I gave $8.50 more in US dollars and got 7 less pounds. I think the commission is about 5%.

Enjoy your trip!

K-1 Visa / I-129F

January 11, 2010 - I mailed K-1 Visa I-129F Petition Overnight Express Mail

February 25, 2010 - Notice date of NOA2 (read the e-mail notice on his birthday 2/26/2010)

May 12, 2010 - Interview - Approved!!!

May 25, 2010 - received Visa back in time to make May 26th Flight :)

June 9, 2010 - Married!!!

AOS:

November 1, 2010 - Sent AOS, EAD & AP to Chicago via Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation

November 03, 2010 - Delivered 9:57 am, CHICAGO, IL 60603

November 10, 2010 - Received 3 e-mail & text message NOA1s from USCIS

November 12, 2010 - Received 3 NOA1s hardcopy in mail

November 19, 2010 - Received Biometrics appointment letter in mail

December 3, 2010 - AOS - I-485 transferred to CSC

December 13, 2010 - Biometrics Appointment - Milwaukee, WI - 10:00 a.m.

January 10, 2011 - AOS Touch - I-485 - Still in Initial Review

January 19, 2011 - Complete Congresswoman inquiry paperwork and deliver it to Congresswoman's office

January 20, 2011 - Received e-mail & text message saying status updated : USCIS says AOS approved & card production ordered.

January 21, 2011 - Received multiple e-mails/texts regarding updated statuses on both AOS & EAD, some confusing!

January 26, 2011 - Received Legal Permanent Resident card in mail.

ROC:

January 2013 - Filed ROC & Received approval in June 2013

N-400 / Naturalization:

2020 - Started Naturalization ppwk prior to COVID pandemic, and when we couldn't get passport photos at local AAA office - set it aside

March 2021 - Finishing Naturalization ppwk and filing ASAP

October 4, 2022 - ASAP turned into putzing and putting off...and finally filing on 10/4/22.

11/25/22 - Received notice of N-400 Interview on 1/5/23

1/5/23 - Naturalization Interview

2/9/23 - Naturlization Oath Ceremony

I would add that depending on your bank, you may be eligible to withdraw pounds without an ATM fee. For example, I use Bank of America and they are partnered with Barclays, so I don't pay any fees that way...

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Interesting.

Can you withdraw cash from it at ATM's in the UK?

Absolutely and guess what there are no atm fees either.

The only catch which I forgot to mention in my earlier post is you have to put down atlest $1000.00 to qualify for the card. But hey its your money, you can take it out any time, and there no balance maintaining or monthly fee services.

xe.com is what i've been using for the past two years -- US bank account > UK bank account. I have exchanged thousands. they have pretty much the best retail spread you can get, though obviously still not as good as the interbank spread that institutional exchanges get..

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Just remember if you use your personal debit card, you MUST MUST MUST notify your bank or they will lock it down for fraud!

Also, I highly recommend taking some form of cash. I didn't realize how bad I wanted a soda and couldn't get one without any cash!

"You don't marry someone you can live with, you marry the person you can't live without."

Mailed K-1 on 2-6-10

USCIS received packet on 2-8-10

NOA 1: Received 2-16-10

NOA 2: Approved 4-29-10 (72 Days)

NVC Forwarded Petition to London- 5-6-10

NVC Letter Received: 5-7-1010

London Received Packet: 5-14-10

London Mailed Packet to Rob: 5-18-10

Packet 3 Received by Rob: 5-22-2010

Packet 3 paperwork mailed to Rob 6-12-10

Medical- July 8, 2010

Everything mailed to Embassy 7-19-10

Interview Date: 9-14-10- Approved pending non-machine washed replacement passport.

Entry to US- 10-6-10 POE- Newark

Wedding- 10-23-10

AOS

Mailed AOS paperwork to the Chicago lockbox 1-7-11

Delivery Notification 1-10-11

Text stating application was received 1-20-11

Check Cashed 1-21-11

NOA 1 received 1-22-11

Biometrics letter received 1-29--11

Biometrics appointment 2-24-11

Received notice- I-485 has been transferred to the California Service Center 2-9-11.

3-11-11 - EAD production ordered

3-19-11- EAD Received

3-31-2011- AOS approved without interview

Just remember if you use your personal debit card, you MUST MUST MUST notify your bank or they will lock it down for fraud!

Not necessarily true, but a good precaution. It has never happened to me since I relocated back to the US. However, I did tell both my banks when I set up the accounts that I travel frequently to Europe. I assume a notation was made because I have never had to notify either bank when travelling abroad since.

Also, I highly recommend taking some form of cash. I didn't realize how bad I wanted a soda and couldn't get one without any cash!

Okay, maybe I'm being thick, but isn't that what bringing a debit card is partly for -- getting cash? I never get any cash before I go abroad -- the rates in the US are usually atrocious and it is such a hassle to get the bank to order it.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.