chrislyse

Confusion about status between I-94 expiring and AOS pending...

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

I have confusion about status between I-94 expiring and AOS pending...what is your visa status at this point?

So far we can't seem to get an state issued ID card (not ready for drivers license quite yet). They won't issue the ID because they said the I94 is expiring within 30 days (the SSN office was also hassling us...even though we were waiting for 7 weeks for her card). He mentioned (btw i know it a suprise but the DMV people are still the rudest on the planet) something about the I797, we just got the I797C, but does that really mean anything? Who knows when we'll get the actual acceptance for her permanent residency, could takes months to years, do people really have to wait until then to get their ID/License?

I don't really understand the visa status when your I-94 expires and before you get the green card...??

(background, we are married and she arrived on a K1 visa).

I have confusion about status between I-94 expiring and AOS pending...what is your visa status at this point?

So far we can't seem to get an state issued ID card (not ready for drivers license quite yet). They won't issue the ID because they said the I94 is expiring within 30 days (the SSN office was also hassling us...even though we were waiting for 7 weeks for her card). He mentioned (btw i know it a suprise but the DMV people are still the rudest on the planet) something about the I797, we just got the I797C, but does that really mean anything? Who knows when we'll get the actual acceptance for her permanent residency, could takes months to years, do people really have to wait until then to get their ID/License?

I don't really understand the visa status when your I-94 expires and before you get the green card...??

(background, we are married and she arrived on a K1 visa).

If you have an AOS pending (IE, the NOA is in hand), your status is considered to be "applicant awaiting status change" or something similar to that. Your protected from ICE.

Until you get the EAD/GC, most government agencies will not give you any paperwork, since your status is "pending". For example, Ohio only granted a license till the expiration of the I-94, then we had to use the GC to renew it.

And that was only granted till the expiration of the GC.

They can only go by your current immigration documents, and if it is expired, or will be expired, they will most likely not allow you to do anything "official"

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Timeline

If you have an AOS pending (IE, the NOA is in hand), your status is considered to be "applicant awaiting status change" or something similar to that. Your protected from ICE.

Until you get the EAD/GC, most government agencies will not give you any paperwork, since your status is "pending". For example, Ohio only granted a license till the expiration of the I-94, then we had to use the GC to renew it.

And that was only granted till the expiration of the GC.

They can only go by your current immigration documents, and if it is expired, or will be expired, they will most likely not allow you to do anything "official"

Wow, thats insane. Thanks. Now i wonder how long until we get the GC? So for people that can drive, they have to use a foreign license or something until they get their Green card?

Edited by chrislyse

It is strange but there is a bit of a gap between documents. My husband just kept his paperwork close until he got his GC. He even traveled with an expired I-94 to Ohio but we made sure we brought all the documents regarding his visa process. Congrats on your K-1 and Good luck on the AOS.

K-1

I-129F Sent : 2008-10-10

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-10-15

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-03-01

Visa Received : 2009-03-20

US Entry : 2009-03-26

Marriage : 2009-05-23

AOS, EAD, AP

Date Filed : 2009-06-04

NOA Date : 2009-06-11

Bio. Appt. : 2009-06-23 (original date July 10th)

AOS Transfer: 2009-07-02

Touch: 2009-07-03

Touch: 2009-07-06

Touch: 2009-07-07

Touch: 2009-07-08

Touch: 2009-07-10 with email regarding pending status.

Touch: 2009-07-20

Touch: 2009-07-21

AP and EAD Approved: 2009-08-03

AP Touch: 2009-08-04

AP Touch: 2009-08-05

EAD second email and Touch 2009-08-06

EAD Touch: 2009-08-07

AOS Approved: 2009-08-10

ROC: petition filed 5-18-11

NOA1 received 5-27-11

Biometrics 7-11-11

Decision Date 1-9-12

Approval letter 1-12-12

Wow, thats insane. Thanks. Now i wonder how long until we get the GC? So for people that can drive, they have to use a foreign license or something until they get their Green card?

Passport can function as an ID for the time being. You can use a foreign drivers licence to drive in the US, but it varies somewhat by state/country.

keTiiDCjGVo

as stated, varies by state.

Ohio will allow you to use your foreign license, if your I-94 is valid. After 90 days on the K-1, it is not, so your back to square one.

We received our GC within 2 months of sending in the AOS, in fact, the EAD/AP came 2 days before the GC did, go figure.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

An immigration attorney told me that the interim status can be called "applicant for adjustment" or "adjustment applicant."

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

An immigration attorney told me that the interim status can be called "applicant for adjustment" or "adjustment applicant."

I've seen those two statements also - nothing firm in the actual USCIS instructions/rules/etc that this is a "status" - but it all applies equally I think.

Edited by Bobby+Umit

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
It is strange but there is a bit of a gap between documents. My husband just kept his paperwork close until he got his GC. He even traveled with an expired I-94 to Ohio but we made sure we brought all the documents regarding his visa process.
This is excellent advice that everyone should follow, si man. I also made sure that the wife kept her most recent papers with her at all times -- including our cover-letter (with photocopy of check) for AOS, before we got the receipt notice -- and a copy of our marriage certificate. "Puercos" (evil or ignorant law-enforcement officers or agents, of which there are sadly all too many) are less likely to want to mess with someone who's prepared, si man.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I would suggest you read your state's specific "fact sheet" and bring a copy with you (if necessary) I intend on obtaining a state id for my spouse... here is a copy of one for PA for example.... it tells you specifically what a K-1 needs:

http://www.dmv.state...ts/pub195nc.pdf

just my opinion....

pg. 11

Edited by MRStee

Timeline

Thanks for all the replies. I called the VA DMV and they said the 797C (in our case)...may work, aka give it a try. As we were practically tossed out of one DMV by a really rude guy we tried a different DMV. They were friendly and took our paperwork, the ID card should be in the mail, i'll let you know if we actually get it. They also said if my wife passes the written drivers test she can get a learners permit (i forget how long) until she comes back and takes the driving course test.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.