Obama 2012

Over 12,000 Illegal Immigrants In Texas Get In-State Tuition

9 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

http://cbs11tv.com/business/education/Illegal.Immigrants.Tuition.2.1562336.html

DALLAS (AP) ― More than 12,000 illegal immigrants, non-permanent residents or non-U.S. citizens paid in-state tuition or received other such financial aid at public colleges and universities across Texas during late 2009, the Dallas Morning News reported Monday.

The figures from the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board show about 1 percent of all Texas college students, in the fall semester, benefited from a 2001 law granting such in-state tuition.

The law says students who are not U.S. citizens and want to seek the assistance must have attended school in the state for at least three years before they graduate from a Texas high school. Students also must file an affidavit saying they plan to seek permanent residency.

During the fall semester, 12,138 students benefited from the law. Texas awarded about $33.6 million in state and institutional financial aid to those students between fall 2004 and summer 2008, according to the newspaper.

Gov. Rick Perry, who earlier this month won the GOP primary, supports the law aiding illegal immigrant students. Perry, in a recent debate, said the students are on the path to citizenship.

The Immigration Reform Coalition of Texas filed a challenge to the law in December.

"It's not like we're swimming in budget surpluses," said coalition attorney David Rogers, who maintains that taxpayers suffer because of the law. "It's the responsibility of the government of Mexico to educate Mexican citizens."

University of Houston law professor Michael A. Olivas said federal law allows states to draft their own policies. "It is a matter for states to determine," said Olivas. "In-state status is a state issue."

Former legislator Rick Noriega, who sponsored the in-state tuition law, said that educating the students is an economic development issue.

"This is about access to higher education," said Noriega, now the president of Avance, a nonprofit organization that educates Hispanic parents on preparing children for school.

"The alternative is to slam the door on any hopes and dreams. How are they going to perform in high school if they don't even have a chance at higher education?" he said.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: Other Timeline

Illegal immigrants are not eligible for in-state tuition. In order to be eligible, among other requirements, one has to be a USC -- and mark the application accordingly -- or a LPR or J1 visa holder -- and mark the application accordingly, and, in the latter case, provide proof of lawful permanent residence.

So if illegal immigrants have been able to get in-state tuition in the past, it would have been by false claim of citizenship which carries a lifetime ban which will never be erased, ever.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Illegal immigrants are not eligible for in-state tuition. In order to be eligible, among other requirements, one has to be a USC -- and mark the application accordingly -- or a LPR or J1 visa holder -- and mark the application accordingly, and, in the latter case, provide proof of lawful permanent residence.

So if illegal immigrants have been able to get in-state tuition in the past, it would have been by false claim of citizenship which carries a lifetime ban which will never be erased, ever.

From the article:

""The law says students who are not U.S. citizens and want to seek the assistance must have attended school in the state for at least three years before they graduate from a Texas high school. Students also must file an affidavit saying they plan to seek permanent residency.""

So yeah, it's jacked up and they don't even have to be a PR to get the assisstance. Just be here illegally attend high school, and then 'say' they'll get their PR status eventually. It's BS.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

They tried this and failed in Massachusetts. But they'll keep trying. With unemployment at 10% why is their such a drive to make it easier and easier for illegal immigrants to live and WORK in this country?

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

They tried this and failed in Massachusetts. But they'll keep trying. With unemployment at 10% why is their such a drive to make it easier and easier for illegal immigrants to live and WORK in this country?

Clearly it's not to "help people" because every dollar spent on one person is one less to spend on another.

The truth is, these people are "predictable voters" and a growing demographic.

It's also a difficult give-away to fight even if you don't agree with it. Politics is all about parading some sad case before the camera and making the responsible person look like the grinch.

Edited by Danno

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Austin student here -I had to show my GC and fill out an immigration status form to qualify for in state tuiton. I never saw or heard from the affidavit mentioned in the article that qualifies you for in state tuition if you are in the path to residency. The rules were very clear - you have to be a US Citizen or LPR to qualify for instate tuition. When I was under the K1, they were going to charge me as international student so we decided to wait until I got my GC.

Saludos,

Caros

***Justin And Caro***
Happily married and enjoying our life together!

That is the $12 trillion dollar question..

The reality is what stops them from acquiring an education here, amassing student debt, then pissing off to their country of birth.

Edited by Ali G.

"I believe in the power of the free market, but a free market was never meant to

be a free license to take whatever you can get, however you can get it." President Obama

Filed: Other Timeline

Again,

this is not the whole story. Anybody seeking financial aid or registering for college has to fill out an application. To the best of my knowledge, part of any college application is stating one's status, either as a citizen, LPR, or formal non-resident student. I absolutely doubt that an illegal immigrant can be eligible for in-state tuition unless he or she makes a false claim of US citizenship. And what the encompasses we all know.

Still, I agree with the O.P. on many levels. Illegal immigration is so very easy to get under control, it's ridiculous. Assume I were the President of the United States, and I wanted -- and that's the keyword here -- to bring illegal immigration to a stop, I would require proof of legal presence at any given time. Kid enrolling for Kindergarten? Show it. Grade school? Show it. Junior High? Show it. High School? Show it. Field trip? Show it. Driver license? Show it. Registering a car? Show it. Renting an apartment? Show it. Landlords who do not comply will be prosecuted for harboring a criminal. Since we at it: being illegal in this country would be a crime (at this time it's not). Want a cell phone? Show it. Water running? Show it. Electricity? Show it. Gas? Show it. Pulled over by a cop. Show it. Stopped while jaywalking? Show it. Court date? Show it!

I would require every peace officer to check status of a detained person. Can't show it? Go to jail until we know who they're dealing with. Book an inland flight? Show it. Greyhound bus? Show it. Train? Show it.

Somebody crossing the border illegally? Go to jail, get 10 with a whip, a tattoo with the arrest number on the wrist. I would get illegal immigration so fast under control, you won't believe it.

Why isn't that happening? For two reasons. One, politicians, with very few exceptions, are mainly concerned about votes and being re-elected. Secondly, they do not want to get rid of the illegal immigrants, as they need them.

It's really this simple.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Let me help out for those who never attended college.

First, you can be a student here if you are from a foreign country.

Most public universities don't have a very large endowment. Not many people are aware that most of the financial aid grants comes from the interest gained from these endowments. Since the economic problem of the past two year or so, most students drop out and work. This made the public school suffer from of enrollment which would lower operating budget. RI decided to grant out of state students with in-state tuition. I'm not surprised at these desperate attempt to solicit more enrollment by granting instate tuition to foreigners and out of state students.

Edited by Niels Bohr

mooninitessomeonesetusupp6.jpg