treehugger

Please tell me this isn't the dreaded AP!?!

18 posts in this topic

Hi guys!

I had my interview 22nd Feb at the USE in London. It lasted three minutes , I was told the visa was approved, and that I would get my passport back within a week. I received a pink slip, I paid for delivery. By 11th March still no passport, I call the embassy, they tell me that my application was suspended the very next day, 23rd Feb. They tell me to email the consular section for more information, which I do.

In the meantime, I call the DOS. The lady is very helpful, says that the interview was 'gooooooood' (her emphasis), that everything is fine, that's it's normal processing, and that I can call back anytime for more information, especially as they probably have more info than the embassy.

A few hours later I get an email back from the embassy saying:

Your application is subject to additional administrative processing, which is mandatory and cannot be waived.

Today (12th March) I call back the DOS, and this time I get a very unhelpful woman. She states over and over again that I should call the embassy, not them, then she realises that I spoke to her colleague the previous day, and says why are you calling again???? Try explaining that after I spoke to her I got that email, and the lady herself said I could call back whenever I wanted etc. The woman got very annoyed, and ended the conversation...although I did manage to get from her that the latest status on my case was updated on 22nd Feb and that it was pending. I call the embassy again, as the not-so-nice woman at the DOS suggested, and the poor man said I wish I could help, but I honestly have no information.

Sorry to ask a stupid question, but is this the dreaded AP?? Is it normal checks, as the DOS claim, or is my case being subjected to further scrutiny? And yes, I'm British from birth, and I live in the UK.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated - thanks :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
Hi guys!

I had my interview 22nd Feb at the USE in London. It lasted three minutes , I was told the visa was approved, and that I would get my passport back within a week. I received a pink slip, I paid for delivery. By 11th March still no passport, I call the embassy, they tell me that my application was suspended the very next day, 23rd Feb. They tell me to email the consular section for more information, which I do.

In the meantime, I call the DOS. The lady is very helpful, says that the interview was 'gooooooood' (her emphasis), that everything is fine, that's it's normal processing, and that I can call back anytime for more information, especially as they probably have more info than the embassy.

Your application is subject to additional administrative processing, which is mandatory and cannot be waived.

Today (12th March) I call back the DOS, and this time I get a very unhelpful woman. She states over and over again that I should call the embassy, not them, then she realises that I spoke to her colleague the previous day, and says why are you calling again???? Try explaining that after I spoke to her I got that email, and the lady herself said I could call back whenever I wanted etc. The woman got very annoyed, and ended the conversation...although I did manage to get from her that the latest status on my case was updated on 22nd Feb and that it was pending. I call the embassy again, as the not-so-nice woman at the DOS suggested, and the poor man said I wish I could help, but I honestly have no information.

Sorry to ask a stupid question, but is this the dreaded AP?? Is it normal checks, as the DOS claim, or is my case being subjected to further scrutiny? And yes, I'm British from birth, and I live in the UK.

well sir it is all good and their nothing to worry about it . actually it is rare to be an British and become subject for administration process but these days you never know any way it is a typical procedure and it matter of time before u get your visa good luck

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

It is very far from typical procedure for the London Embassy to place someone in AP. You may have been born in the UK but does your family originate from somewhere else. If the Embassy say you are in AP then take what they say as right.

My guess from everything I've learned on here is that they are running more detailed background checks than London normally do, but that those checks are ones that are done in many other Embassies. Hence my asking about your family background and them saying normal processing.

When calling DOS remember they are not meant to be dealing with queries about London, there is a special number in the UK for that. The fact they do help out is a bonus and a very useful one, so if you get someone less than helpful just ride with the flow.

While people who have no knowledge of London post with the best of intentions take their postings with a pinch of salt. Just because something happens in one Embassy doesn't mean it happens in all or any of the others, or that what London might do is done anywhere else.

Edited by Lansbury

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Filed: Timeline
Hi guys!

Hey sorry to hear about AP, this is normal in many cases. The bad part about AP is no time limit. AP can be done if a few days to many months... When you call DOS they can see everything, but they will not tell you. When I called DOS about AP, they always told me pending etc....Just keep your hope up and pray for quick AP. Goodluck

Timeline
Hey sorry to hear about AP, this is normal in many cases.

How many cases is AP normal in, in London, or a better worded question would be what percentage of London cases is AP normal in?

Edited by Lansbury

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-28 NOA

Thanks, Lansbury. I think this may be because I lived in a certain part of the world as a teenager. Ah well, there's nothing I can do but wait. My husband's contacting his congressman later today. We both know it won't achieve much, but at least we feel we're doing something. Yes, you're right, the DOS aren't obliged to help with queries, and I was very grateful to the first woman I spoke to, she was everything you'd expect from great American customer service! Her colleague the next day, however....lol

Thanks, IT_1, I hope everyone who's in AP is put out of their misery very soon!!

Timeline

Thanks, Lansbury. I think this may be because I lived in a certain part of the world as a teenager.

Then in that sense the additional checks are normal for someone with connections to certain parts of the world. Hopefully you will not be stuck in AP for too long.

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-28 NOA

Well, I don't know if I'd say there were connections as such - my parents were expats working abroad, and as I was a child I was still living with them. Thanks, I'll be really pleased when this is over...I've only known about being in AP a few days, I'm impressed at how others have coped being stuck for several months. I suppose one has no choice but to go on with their daily lives in the meantime. Thanks again :)

Filed: Timeline

How many cases is AP normal in, in London, or a better worded question would be what percentage of London cases is AP normal in?

I have no idea about percentage, but I have seen few posts about UK AP. But 1 thing for sure, there is no such thing which part of world you are, if they want AP on someone case they will do. But you can say in some partt of the world is more then others.

Timeline

I have no idea about percentage, but I have seen few posts about UK AP.

A few out of many thousands issued each year. AP in London is far from being normal.

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-28 NOA

A few out of many thousands issued each year. AP in London is far from being normal.

Aren't I the lucky one!!

Mind you, considering how many of my fellow applicants on the day seemed to be from all around the world, I'm surprised it's not more.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

brother i m under AP since jan 28 2010 they kept my passport and all original documetns even i had 2nd interview on feb 9 2010 and im still under AP no update yet still waiting to get my visa and my origianl documents and my marriage photos which they kept on 1st interview which was jan 28 2010.

thanks i m so worried....

event.png

event.png

Timeline

Still AP, Doesn’t metter in few or most. Will still call AP for the country. No one can tell and or have real number, how many cases go under AP in London.

You miss the point entirely, I am not saying it isn't AP, but I am challenging a statement made with gives the impression that AP is normal at the London Embassy. It is far from normal there by what I think most people would consider normal. By the way if you search the information on visas and AP and many other statistics are available in various US government reports.

Therefore if someone is placed in AP in London there is usually a specific reason rather than a generic all applicants get placed in AP. It also tends to make the resolution of AP quicker in London that other places, although that isn't something which should be taken as a given.

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-28 NOA

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.