yasar

NVC and I-134 Question - Please Help!

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hello everyone!

CSC approved NOA2 on March 3rd. Now, I am waiting to hear from NVC. I have a few questions in order to get ready for the next steps:

1-Can I check through the automated system if NVC received my case (I know the phone number)? If so, after how long?

I-134 Question:

1- In the instruction it says I should have a letter from the bank that should show the amount of money deposited for the past year. So, I went to the bank (Chase), and a banker told me they cannot issue such letter? What should I do? Is monthly statement good enough to be submitted with I-134 and employment verification letter?

Appreciate any answer and thank you all in advance.

Regards,

Yasar

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hello everyone!

CSC approved NOA2 on March 3rd. Now, I am waiting to hear from NVC. I have a few questions in order to get ready for the next steps:

1-Can I check through the automated system if NVC received my case (I know the phone number)? If so, after how long?

I-134 Question:

1- In the instruction it says I should have a letter from the bank that should show the amount of money deposited for the past year. So, I went to the bank (Chase), and a banker told me they cannot issue such letter? What should I do? Is monthly statement good enough to be submitted with I-134 and employment verification letter?

Appreciate any answer and thank you all in advance.

Regards,

Yasar

You'll need to speak to a human at NVC about any K visa case as they have not information on K cases in the automated system. Bank letters are always optional but if your income is sufficient, you can simply skip all asset related questions on the I-134.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
You'll need to speak to a human at NVC about any K visa case as they have not information on K cases in the automated system. Bank letters are always optional but if your income is sufficient, you can simply skip all asset related questions on the I-134.

Thanks for the prompt reply! I really appreciate it. I hope NVC receives my case soon.

Regards,

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Croatia
Timeline

Hi there -

I also have accounts at Chase and they told me the same. What they were able to provide me with were letters (more like an account overview statement) for my checking and savings acocunts that show the account number, type of account, date opened, balance, and average monthly balance. I asked the person helping me to sign above his name (which he did) because the print-out only provides the bank person's printed name and contact info.

I have seen in the forums that people include monthly bank statements, but the person at the bank, as well as my parents thought that might not be such a great idea, even though I have no financial issues, because then you're providing the gov/embassy/whomever with more info than necessary and if you do have a day or something where your funds are low, they could try to say something negative about that. So, I figured what I provided was more than sufficient.

In addition to the letters, I have the letter of confimring employment from my employer, the last four years of W-2's with tax return transcripts for the corresponding year, 8 months of pay stubs, end of the year statements (as of 12/31/09) for my 401k and R-IRA accounts, and a copy of my employer's life insurance policy showing the amount insured. I think that covers it. :)

Hope this helps. Good luck! :star:

11/20/09 - Mailed I-129F packet

11/23/09 - Check cashed! Date of NOA1

11/27/09 - Received hard copy of NOA1

12/01/09 - Touch!

02/19/10 - Touch!!!!

02/19/10 - NOA2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

02/24/10 - NVC Received

02/25/10 - Hard Copy NOA2!!! :D

02/25/10 - NVC mailed packet to Zagreb!!!

03/03/10 - Consulate in Zagreb received packet!!!

03/05/10 - Packet 3 received

03/08/10 - Ivan's Med Exam in Zagreb

03/24/10 - Mailed Packet 3

04/08/10 - INTERVIEW IN ZAGREB - APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!

04/09/10 - Received police certificate from Ireland; mailed to Zagreb

04/XX/10 - Visa Issued

05/03/10 - Welcome home, Ivan!!! POE (Houston)

06/26/10 - Wedding!!!!!

Timeline
Hi there -

I also have accounts at Chase and they told me the same. What they were able to provide me with were letters (more like an account overview statement) for my checking and savings acocunts that show the account number, type of account, date opened, balance, and average monthly balance. I asked the person helping me to sign above his name (which he did) because the print-out only provides the bank person's printed name and contact info.

I have seen in the forums that people include monthly bank statements, but the person at the bank, as well as my parents thought that might not be such a great idea, even though I have no financial issues, because then you're providing the gov/embassy/whomever with more info than necessary and if you do have a day or something where your funds are low, they could try to say something negative about that. So, I figured what I provided was more than sufficient.

In addition to the letters, I have the letter of confimring employment from my employer, the last four years of W-2's with tax return transcripts for the corresponding year, 8 months of pay stubs, end of the year statements (as of 12/31/09) for my 401k and R-IRA accounts, and a copy of my employer's life insurance policy showing the amount insured. I think that covers it. :)

Timeline
Thanks for the great and detailed information! I really appreciate it.

Regards,

Happy to help, my friend! Good luck! :star:

12/01/09 - Touch!

02/19/10 - Touch!!!!

02/24/10 - NVC Received

04/XX/10 - Visa Issued

06/26/10 - Wedding!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
Hi there -

If your concern with monthly bank statements is that you're providing too much information, then you're probably already doing that. Most consulates require only the most recently filed tax return with the I-134. W2's are only needed if you're providing copies of the tax return (e.g., 1040 and all applicable schedules). They aren't needed if you're providing transcripts from the IRS. There's nothing wrong with providing more than one year of tax information if you think it will help to show your income is consistently high enough to meet the requirements. It's just not necessarily required by most consulates.

Bank statements, or other proof of your bank account status, is usually only needed if you are self-employed, or if you have cash in a bank account that you intend to show as an asset (see below).

Your retirement accounts and insurance policies would be considered "assets". Unless your income is below the threshold the consulate requires (125% of the poverty guidelines, in many cases) then you don't need to provide any information about assets. What's more, assets are usually only considered if you can convert them to cash within 12 months without considerable hardship or financial loss. Those are the rules for the I-864, which many consulates also apply to the I-134. The penalties you'd pay for cashing out your retirement accounts would be considered a financial loss, and the fact that you'd have no retirement funds might be considered a hardship. As far as your employer's life insurance, unless it's a whole life policy or some other type that has a cash-out value, it wouldn't qualify as an asset. If it DOES have a cash-out value, then you'd need a statement showing the cash-out value and not the amount it would pay if you died (unless, of course, you're really old, and the cash-out value is equal to the death benefit). Showing that you have a policy with a death benefit is of little use for an affidavit of support, since your support obligation ends if you die.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline
If your concern with monthly bank statements is that you're providing too much information, then you're probably already doing that. Most consulates require only the most recently filed tax return with the I-134. W2's are only needed if you're providing copies of the tax return (e.g., 1040 and all applicable schedules). They aren't needed if you're providing transcripts from the IRS. There's nothing wrong with providing more than one year of tax information if you think it will help to show your income is consistently high enough to meet the requirements. It's just not necessarily required by most consulates.

Bank statements, or other proof of your bank account status, is usually only needed if you are self-employed, or if you have cash in a bank account that you intend to show as an asset (see below).

Your retirement accounts and insurance policies would be considered "assets". Unless your income is below the threshold the consulate requires (125% of the poverty guidelines, in many cases) then you don't need to provide any information about assets. What's more, assets are usually only considered if you can convert them to cash within 12 months without considerable hardship or financial loss. Those are the rules for the I-864, which many consulates also apply to the I-134. The penalties you'd pay for cashing out your retirement accounts would be considered a financial loss, and the fact that you'd have no retirement funds might be considered a hardship. As far as your employer's life insurance, unless it's a whole life policy or some other type that has a cash-out value, it wouldn't qualify as an asset. If it DOES have a cash-out value, then you'd need a statement showing the cash-out value and not the amount it would pay if you died (unless, of course, you're really old, and the cash-out value is equal to the death benefit). Showing that you have a policy with a death benefit is of little use for an affidavit of support, since your support obligation ends if you die.

Thanks for your input.

12/01/09 - Touch!

02/19/10 - Touch!!!!

02/24/10 - NVC Received

04/XX/10 - Visa Issued

06/26/10 - Wedding!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.