Ladylethal

European Trip Help

52 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hey everyone!

As some of you know my husband is joining the Air Force and leaves for Basic Training on April 20th. Since I'll be home alone for a few months my mom invited me to take a 2 week trip to Europe with her (I've never been, she's been 3 times).

We plan to leave on the first week of May and spend 14 days (12 since we account 2 for travel in and out). Our plan is to fly in to London and spend 3 days there, then we plan to go to Bruges, Amsterdam, possibly Brussels on our way back from Amsterdam into France, where we plan to visit the Loire Valley and then use the last days 3 days in Paris, where we'd fly back home.

We decided we want to do this solo, meaning, we're not buying a package excursion as mom has done that her 3 times there and decided for once she wants to see what she actually WANTS to see and spend her time in a manner that interests her most. So we'll be building our own itinerary, booking our own hotels and transportation. We're also trying to do that on a budget.

We have our plans for the cities and all that, but we're having trouble figuring out proper time allocations for the rest of the trip. Does anyone have any site ideas that would help us? Or have traveled around these places and would know how much time we need?

We were thinking after leaving London we'd sleep in Bruges, then in Amsterdam, then in Brussels on our way back to France, and then either Paris and choose some sort of tour to Loire Valley, or straight to one of the cities in the Loire and back to Paris later.

We're also thinking of renting a car and driving ourselves, just to leave London and then hand it in first day of Paris, as we wouldn't want a car in the city. Anyone know if there are rentals where we can pick the car up in a country and return it in another country? Or would we have to take a bus or train to Calais so we'd rent the car in France and return it in France?

Also anyone who's traveled through northern Europe think the overnight stays are spread out properly?

Any tips toward us starting to make some sense of our trip from London through Paris would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, we're trying to keep our hotel budget at around US$ 100 a night in a double room, so yeah, budget trip.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I were you, I wouldn't try to rent a car in the UK and take it to the continent - too much trouble and probably expensive even if it is doable, and it's not like you would really need a car in London, more of a hassle than anything. Renting a car for the Belgium/Holland part of the trip makes more sense to me.

I love all the places you have chosen to visit, although, so little time, so MUCH to see :thumbs:

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Timeline

Cleo, we thought of only renting on departure but also considered it'd be easier to rent in Calais, we though in our two weeks there we'd have the car for 7 days only, just from Calais through Bruges, Amsterdam and Brussels, and then either do the Loire by car and return it in Paris or return in Paris and rent a tour to the Loire.

Where mom and I are going nuts is figuring out our hotel stays, in terms of driving through Belgium and Holland and back down to France where we'd end up staying, so we can figure out hotel reservations and all.

What we know for sure is we're saving 3 days in London and at least 3 days in Paris. So it'd be one week driving around Belgium and Holland and the countryside of France.

11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics

*View Complete Timeline

It really depends how much time you want to spend driving. I've driven around all that area and it's pretty smooth to drive around with the 'freeway' system, and relatively fast, but it still does take time to accomplish. Regarding traffic, you should be ok as long as you avoid rush hours in cities, but that's pretty much common sense. I think I would probably go public transport unless I really, really wanted to spend more time off the beaten track. In all the cities you mention, public transport is everywhere and the city centres themselves are very pedestrian friendly. Maybe consider just hiring a car to drive around the Loire? That would be worth while, possibly essential if you have your heart set on seeing particular chateaux.

Oh, and try finding the bed and breakfasts instead of hotels, they are excellent, there are some really fab ones in the Loire.

I'm trying to remember what the French ones are called. Not the gites, those are self catering and normally weekly, but the other ones where you get to talk to local families, excellent :thumbs:

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
It really depends how much time you want to spend driving. I've driven around all that area and it's pretty smooth to drive around with the 'freeway' system, and relatively fast, but it still does take time to accomplish. Regarding traffic, you should be ok as long as you avoid rush hours in cities, but that's pretty much common sense. I think I would probably go public transport unless I really, really wanted to spend more time off the beaten track. In all the cities you mention, public transport is everywhere and the city centres themselves are very pedestrian friendly. Maybe consider just hiring a car to drive around the Loire? That would be worth while, possibly essential if you have your heart set on seeing particular chateaux.

Oh, and try finding the bed and breakfasts instead of hotels, they are excellent, there are some really fab ones in the Loire.

I'm trying to remember what the French ones are called. Not the gites, those are self catering and normally weekly, but the other ones where you get to talk to local families, excellent :thumbs:

Chambres chez l'habitant, gîtes, chambres d'hôtes = good deal, good food, more fun :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Not sure where you are use to driving, but this California driver would NEVER, EVER drive in Amsterdam! Hell, my husband is from Holland and I had to keep my eyes closed everytime we were there in his car...and he's a GOOD driver!!! SO many bicycles and the traffic is CRAZY. I HIGHLY recommend the public transportation there. There aren't many place you can't get to with it, and everything else is in walking distance. If I had to drive there, I would be so stressed out trying not to hit someone on a bike, or other cars, or finding street names, I wouldn't enjoy my time there. Besides, parking is not an easy task. It's expensive and you will have to walk awhile anywhere you go. There isn't much, if any parking on the streets unless you are on a bike, or in one of those mini cars.

-Blu-

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Amsterdam

02-27-09: I-129F Sent

03-10-09: I-129F NOA1

06-10-09: I-129F NOA2

06-17-09: Rec'vd by NVC

06-18-09: STUCK IN NVC AP

06-25-09: FINALLY petition on it's way to the embassy

06-29-09: DHL delivered our packet to the embassy in Amsterdam

07-01-09: Rec'd Packet 3!!!!

08-01-09: Rec'd Packet 4

08-25-09: Interview date...APPROVED!!!!

12/12/09: Fiancee arrival date WOOOT!

02/20/10: Married and SOOOO happy!

04/20/10: Sent off AOS (finally!)

05/03/10: Rec'd AOS NOA1

The parking issue is a good point in the city areas. It is available, but, public transport is so good, it just doesn't seem worth the hassle.

Chambres chez l'habitant, gîtes, chambres d'hôtes = good deal, good food, more fun :)

:thumbs::thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Use www.EuroStar.com (from London you could plan destinations to visit via major train routes etc.)

or for quick cheap flights you can use Ryannair/Easy Jet from the UK to Europe. (I assume they are both still in business anyway.)

Hope you have fun planning and adventuring, there are certainly some great places to see/visit.

Jo & Michael

K1

29th Jun 03 - Applied for I-129f

12th Jan 05 - Interview at Embassy

AOS

20th Apr 05 - Mailed AOS and paperwork to Chicago.

27th Oct 05 - Received Green Card in Mail (2 yr Conditional)

I-751

24th Jul 07 - Mailed I-751 to TSC

27th Jul 07 - I-751 Received at TSC (Transferred to CSC)

17th Aug 07 - Check Cleared

20th Aug 07 - NOA received (2 NOA's both with dif. receipt #'s for the same thing hmmm..)

30th Aug 07 - ACS Biometrics letters received

21st Sep 07 - Biometrics appointment at Charlotte

1st Nov 07 - Case status online reads "Card production ordered"

3rd Nov 07 - Greencard received in mail

Timeline

I like your idea of renting a car just to go around the Loire, that is indeed the place where going where I want and spending the time I want would be most important for me.

Either way we would not try using the car in the cities, our idea was seeing the car rental would come out cheaper than the train, as I hear the buses although cheap would take up a lot of our already short time.

I'm looking at B&Bs for sure. I'd be even one of those that'd be just fine using the trains at night to save on hotel stays but mom is already over 60 and she does need a bed, with a bathroom ensuite, even if it's very simple.

Edited by Ladylethal

11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics

*View Complete Timeline

Timeline

Yeah, I was noticing that. The actual rental (insurance included) would be cheaper but adding gas prices to it might become not worth it.

11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics

*View Complete Timeline

I've rented a car in Germany and dropped it off in Amsterdam. I booked online but got a discount in person when I used a car they wanted to get to Amsterdam (Mercedes diesel wagon).

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Yeah, I was noticing that. The actual rental (insurance included) would be cheaper but adding gas prices to it might become not worth it.

Unless there is a significant $ advantage, I would look at it in terms of what method of transportation would enable me to get the most out of my trip. Looking at your itinerary I'd say translates as means getting from city to city as fast as possible and spending as much time in the city doing as many of the things you want to do as possible, and then in the Loire being able to access everything you want to. I'd say the Loire part would be the one place where having a car would be of significant advantage. The chateaux (I am assuming that's one of the things you want to see) are in the middle of rural areas, not sitting in towns. I expect there are coaches that do a 'tour' of the chateaux but that means handing over to someone else the ones you get to visit and the time you get to spend in them. Mind you, I'd not bank on going to see too many in one day regardless.