Ladylethal

European Trip Help

52 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Yes, I was trying to talk mom into doing a leave Paris, drive a round, sleep somewhere in the Loire (like Tours) drive around more castles and then go back to sleep in Paris, so that'd give us a little more time to view more castles.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

That one is an absolute MUST see. :thumbs:

11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics

*View Complete Timeline

One of the most underrated places is Belgium. It's actually pretty fabulous. Brussels is one of the nicest cities you'll ever visit and you will feel incredibly safe walking around it. I also rate Brugges, it's very picturesque and easy to get around. Belgium food is good, the portions generous, but they are meat orientated (well fish too).

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Timeline

Yeah, Visiting Bruges is mom's priority, she visited once and says she must take me at any cost. Since Brussels is really close we're definitely going there too, either on our way up to Amsterdam or on our way back to France.

11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics

*View Complete Timeline

You are going to have a fabulous trip :thumbs: Look into the Chambre d'Hote idea, really because you will feel more pampered for your $.

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

I don't know any good cheap hotels in London though I wish I did. My bro and son stayed in some joint near Paddington at Christmas because of the weather before the flight to LAX. It wasn't cheap or cheerful from what they told me :(

Do you know the kind of things you want to see in London? Art galleries? Museums? Are you going to take in a show?

I too recommend the Eurostar--central London to central Paris in about three hours (if I'm remembering correctly), and it's a nice experience. I imagine the car rental thing would be something of a headache. If you want to rent a car for the continent portion of the trip, do it once you get there. Another consideration is the left-hand-drive/right-hand-drive thing. I imagine you can rent a left-hand-drive car in the UK (for a fee, no doubt), but if not, you'd be looking at driving on the left in a right-hand-drive car, which may be disorienting. I know Brits do it all the time when they take their cars over to Europe, but I always found it a little confusing. It's enough of a project to adjust to European driving generally!

Anyhoo, it sounds like a great trip!

K-1

March 7, 2005: I-129F NOA1

September 20, 2005: K-1 Interview in London. Visa received shortly thereafter.

AOS

December 30, 2005: I-485 received by USCIS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Received 10-year green card February 28, 2008

Your Humble Advice Columnist, Joyce

Come check out the most happenin' thread on VJ: Dear Joyce

Click here to see me visiting with my homebodies.

[The grooviest signature you've ever seen is under construction!]

Unless it snows, then the trains get stuck in the tunnel, which is rather reminiscent of Rev Awdrys' anthropomorphic trains ;)

I too recommend the Eurostar--central London to central Paris in about three hours (if I'm remembering correctly), and it's a nice experience. I imagine the car rental thing would be something of a headache. If you want to rent a car for the continent portion of the trip, do it once you get there. Another consideration is the left-hand-drive/right-hand-drive thing. I imagine you can rent a left-hand-drive car in the UK (for a fee, no doubt), but if not, you'd be looking at driving on the left in a right-hand-drive car, which may be disorienting. I know Brits do it all the time when they take their cars over to Europe, but I always found it a little confusing. It's enough of a project to adjust to European driving generally!

Anyhoo, it sounds like a great trip!

Actually, I may have mixed up left and right there...but youknowwhatimean. :)

K-1

AOS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Timeline

I'm looking at the Eurostar now as opposed to a car rental, it does seem easier/safer, except I need to figure out what type of pass we'd need, as we're not just going London to Paris.

Cleo, I'm looking at hotels in Paddington actually, lots of B&Bs and two star hotels and it's close to a couple of stations to get around easily, I also hear it's more residential and less noisy than other areas, and a lot cheaper than the nicer central zones.

Our plans for London are the usual suspects of sightseeing places (Big Ben, Parliament, Tower of London, St. Pauls, Kensington, Wesminster Abbey, Temple Church, etc. as well as the change of guard at Buckingham. We plan to do a tour of Windsor and Madame Tusseau. We don't really plan to do the London Museums except maybe the Tate gallery (since we're on a budget we're hand picking which places we'll actually pay and go in). We're more into history than art museums. Ah yes, we definitely like the markets so Covent Garden is a must. Depending on budget and the lines we might go on the London Eye.

We'd like to visit Canterbury as well and I was trying to find a way to do that on our way to France, but I'm have technical issues as far as taking a bus there and back, time spent for it, etc. So far the Eurorail is not giving options of going to Canterbury and following on to Bruges. I'd have to go there, return to London, and then validate our pass to Bruges, Brussels, Amsterdam and back to Paris.

11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics

*View Complete Timeline

Correct re the area around Paddington, it is residential and it's relatively quiet as London goes. Think about Hampton Court as well, that's very nice, as is Kew Gardens. Definitely take a walk/boat trip along the Thames around the Houses of parliament (Which is where the London Eye is located), you get a lot of history in a short space of time. I'm a big fan of Tate Modern (located in the old Battersea Power Station) Even if you don't really want to go in and look at the art, the building itself is historic (as well as the stuff of album covers ;) ) and it's a fabulous re-use of old space. The pump room is for temporary displays, but the space itself is just fantastic.

Our plans for London are the usual suspects of sightseeing places (Big Ben, Parliament, Tower of London, St. Pauls, Kensington, Wesminster Abbey, Temple Church, etc. as well as the change of guard at Buckingham. We plan to do a tour of Windsor and Madame Tusseau. We don't really plan to do the London Museums except maybe the Tate gallery (since we're on a budget we're hand picking which places we'll actually pay and go in). We're more into history than art museums. Ah yes, we definitely like the markets so Covent Garden is a must. Depending on budget and the lines we might go on the London Eye.

Many of the best museums in London are free, including the Tate. I highly recommend the British Museum (also free).

K-1

AOS

The museums are good, and what is more most of them are housed in historic buildings. The Imperial War Museum is most impressive, as is the Natural History Museum, complete with dinasuars.

The Tate, Tate Britain, National Gallery, British Museum, Victoria & Albert Museum and many others are completely FREE, though you will pay to go to special exhibits.

I would personally drop Madam Tussuad's in favor of going to one of them.

90day.jpg