Gyspy

America/Australia March Posting

157 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

OK guys good news, i have my interview for this Tuesday.

Booked my flight and am spending couple of days with my son whilst I'm up there.

As of now my daughter still hasn't had her baby (due the 5th) but we are off to the hospital this afternoon.

She will be assessed as to whether to induce her, or wait until tomorrow and pop her waters.

Hoping to be able to book my flight for the 6th October. Been so long, can't wait to see Chris again.

Just want to hold him :)

Thanks for the link empyre will check it out after i post this.

Anyway grats and good luck to all.

Timeline

Hi Gypsy

Good luck with your interview on Tuesday. Your being interviewed the day I leave for the States.

Let us know how you go I hope you can leave on the 6th Oct as planned.

Hope all goes well with Grandchild too Kathy

Timeline

Thank you Kathy

And yay for you, in your babe's arms very soon.

Well good news: Cohen Edward was born at 9.52 pm on the 11-09-2010 at a weight of 8lb 2ozs

after a 1 hour 22 min labour. 1 hour labour, 22 minutes of pushing when i got there :)

(i went home for some dinner and sleep, got a phone call and when i got there was told she

waited for me to get there to push)

Mother, Father and Son all doing very well.

Looks like he would sleep through a bomb, as his brother was there making loooots of noise, and

not a peep out of him the whole time. :)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Good luck with your interview Gyspy I'm sure you'll fly through it :) And congratulations on the birth of your grandson - may he always be blessed :)

Have a great flight Kathy - I'm sure you cant wait to get back to the States.

I now have visa and passport back (yay) and 47 sleeps to go until I have back to the US (double yay).

AOS from K1 Visa

01.20.2011 Posted in AOS, EAD and AP documentation

01.25.2011 Signed for in Chicago

01.31.2011 NOA1s x 3 produced

02.08.2011 NOA1s x 3 hard copies received

02.22.2011 Transferred to CSC

02.28.2011 Biometrics done Fort Worth, Tx

03.18.2011 EAD/AP approved for production

03.24.2011 2 year conditional Green Card approved for production

03.28.2011 EAD/AP card received in the mail

03.29.2011 Welcome to the United States of America letter received in the mail

03.30.2011 Green Card received in the mail.

Removal of Conditions

01.19.2013 Posted I-751 and supporting documentation

01.26.2013 Package delivered to VSC

01.28.2013 NOA1 produced

01.29.2013 Check for filing fee and biometrics cashed

02.02.2013 NOA1 received

02.07.2013 Notice of Biometrics appointment received

02.27.2013 Biometrics done

06.14.2013 10 year unconditional Green Card approved for production

06.19.2013 Congratulations letter received in the mail

06.21.2013 10 year unconditional Green Card received in the mail

Naturalization

07.03.2016 Posted N-400 and supporting documentation

Timeline

Ok, Flew to Sydney Monday night, got taxi to sons place, had exciting reunion (haven't seen him for a year, and never met his partner)

Next morning up early, appointment was for 9am Sydney time. My son had to be home at 8.15 for someone to fix his blinds so we left early.

Walked down to central station, caught the train into Martin Place. Walked down to the MLC building, sussed out where i had to go, said goodbye

to my son and then sat down for coffee.At 8.30 i made my way to the 10th floor to security/reception. After surrendering everything but my paperwork,

sat down for around 2 mins before being called up to enter the lift. Once reaching the 57th floor, went to a very high security reception (reminded me

of a jail reception) where they checked my passport.

I was then admitted into the "processing room" (bit like the old style car rego place but behind glass panels). I promptly sat down and was advised by the

young lady next to me that i should take a ticket. Doh!, didn't even see it when i walked in. Even returned the favor when a gentleman walked in and sat

down without taking one.

Finally called up to a booth,where i was asked for passport, payment receipt and express satchel, then was asked to be seated again.

Called up a second time, asked me to finish a question i didn't finish.It was the question where you answer yes or no to certain people living in america.

I just checked the yes for fiance, obviously i was suppose to say no to the rest :) The lady asked me when i would be travelling and i said hopefully in a couple

of weeks. She finalized everything and told me that everything looks ok and that another officer would look at it just in case she had missed something.

Please take a seat and wait for name to be called.

My name was then finally called, and i approached another window, where she asked me some questions, meanwhile typing away on her screen.

The questions were:

How did you meet.

Have you been to America.

What does he do.

Who is Gary (his dad)

You have two children.

He has a child, does she live with him.

think that was about it.

She rifled thru the papers a few times. Stopping on one particular one, rubbing her thumb over the official verification stamp.

I said to her, If there is a problem with that i have all the originals. She said no that's OK and moved on PHEW

She typed some more then handed me a piece of paper and said here is some information for you before entering the US and your tracking number.

I thought what, looked at the piece of paper which stated in bold letters you have been approved . OMG. she could have told me verbally, but i was

on such a high, thought who cares i got it ;)

So i flew home Wednesday night , and after work on Thursday went up to the Flight Center and booked my tickets

I leave at 6.10 on the 6th October. YAY

Also saved myself some money by researching the cheapest flights then letting the lady at Flight Center know, and they beat the price.

So i got it for half price and all organised, without any hidden costs. YAY

Now to just organize my things to go over.

As i only have a few boxes i am looking at using Seven Seas Worldwide www.sevenseasworldwide.com

It is only going to cost me around 800-1000 depending on the amount of boxes.

Will let you know when i get there whether it was worth it.

OK good luck to all, see you on the flip side (or at least the other side of the world :) )

BTW received my Visa two days later.

Edited by Gyspy

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Wow. congrats Gyspy! I'm out of here two days after you.

I didn't think to go into Flight centre. I was too excited and just booked my tickets online. It wasn't too bad though.

The countdown it on to the new world. 17 Days!

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Well 3 glorious days with my hunney.

Thought i would check up on you all.

How is everyone going?

Decided to see about getting a bank account and maybe my drivers license, but it

seems you just HAVE to have a SSN.

So searched the net about getting one and it seems under certain circumstances you

can obtain one. But it was recommended to wait 10 days so you are definitely in the

system. If anyone has any other information regarding this it would be appreciated.

Well that seems to be it. if anyone else has any think to say, go for it.

Grats and goodluck to all.

You can get your SSN as a K1....BUT in regards drivers licenses...check with state requirements. I had to wait to get my drivers license until I had my GC here in Ohio. Bank account it depends on the bank & if they will allow you to be added as per their system. We waited until we were married to have my added to bank accounts & credit cards.

Sadly I would say be prepared for a world of being in limbo as such until you have your GC...and then it is a whole new ball game.

BWUs-1.jpg

Our Time Line:

01/31/2009 - Met Online

03/02/2009 - Reservations Made For My Flight To NH

06/11/2009 - Leave For Face To Face Meeting in NH

06/20/2009 - Last Kiss or Touch for 4 Months

07/21/2009 - Flights Booked For Eric To Come Down Under

10/17/2009 - Eric Arrives In Sydney

10/17/2009 - Eric Proposes -- YAY!

10/22/2009 - Engagement Photo Shoot In Sydney Harbour

11/01/2009 - Eric Flies Back To USA To Begin K1 Process.

12/03/2009 - I 129F FILED

12/07/2009 - NOA1

12/10/2009 - Touched

12/12/2009 - NOA1 Hard Copy Received

03/10/2010 - TOUCHED

03/10/2010 - APPROVED!!!!!

03/17/2010 - NVC Sends Petition to Sydney

03/22/2010 - Sydney Receives Petition

03/23/2010 - Packet 3 Received

03/23/2010 - Packet 3 Returned To Consulate

03/29/2010 - Packet 4 Received

04/06/2010 - Interview

04/06/2010 - APPROVED!!!!

04/08/2010 - Visa In Hand.

04/10/2010 - FLIGHT TO USA!!!

04/19/2010 - SSN received in mail.

06/05/2010 - MARRIED!!!

09/23/2010 - GC Approved!!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hello all!

Day three for me too. I love being here!

Entry into LA was smooth - the only word mentioned to me was to confirm I know I had to marry in 90 Days and good luck with it all. :-)

Can't say the same for my flight. 24hr stomach bug for 24 hours of travel does not equal a good time. But all had past by the time I arrived. No plane delays and no luggage lost.

Wedding plans underway and mostly sorted - It feels great doing it all over a weekend when most take months. Not so much stress.

Wedding booked for 27th of Nov down in Florida. :-)

Next week I will work on my SS number, bank account and license -Lets give them a chance to really know I'm here.

Today I'm working on wedding vows, I want to find something suitalbe for our lives. Any ideas on sources?

Timeline

Hi Guys

I have been here 4 weeks this Tuesday coming.....I have tried to get a SS number but here in Tennessee they say I cannot get one because I don't have a work visa. Bill tried to add me to his bank acct and of course they wouldn't do that till I get a SS number. We spent a day going from place to place and I at the end of the day not getting anywhere decided that here in the States until i marry I am a no body. (NOT A GREAT FEELING) ..

The only good thing was seeing the bank managers face when Bill said I want to withdraw a large amount of money from my acct seeing you will not add Kathy and that is her money that she has transfered I want it in cash. T

I have been missing home and my kids and grand kids but i know in time it will get easier. We have been renovating the house and planning our wedding for the 27th Nov. We are having a wedding at home and catering ourselves. My girlfriend from OZ is coming for the wedding it will be great to have someone here from home.

I hope everyone is doing well and let us know when your getting married love Kathy

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Thx all for the info still waiting on NOA2 filed May 28th... this will be my 3rd trip to Sydney in 6 months... I just want to move to the next process so I can bring Paul home!

So discouraged!

Completed:

• Green card: May 10, 2011
  • Sent: October 1, 2015
  • Cashd: October 8, 2015
  • NOA: October 6,2015
  • Fprints: 10/30/15
  • In Line: 11/05/2015
  • Int Ltr: 12/17/2015
    Interview: 01/25/2016
  • Oath: 04/14/2016
  • Field Office: Denver

Timeline

OMG looks like the 27th Nov is going to be a busy Aussie/Ammerican Wedding day.

That is the day we have set.

Seing we have both beeen married before, we thought it would be fun to do a theme wedding.

With the help of my sister-in-law we have started organising a renaissence themed wedding.

A friend of theirs has recently become an ordained minister, so he is preforming the wedding.

Possibly dressed as Friar Tuck lol.

We were going to make a wedding dress, but spotted a site that has ren. type dresses.

Holy Clothing http://www.holyclothing.com/store/index.php

So we have both picked dresses from there. We are going to dress Chris up too.

Vicki (sister-in-law/bridesmaid) does a lot of local theatre work so is using things from there

for him.

We are having the wedding at the Chaplin Nature Reserve. Hopefully outside but if its too cold we

have the use of the reception room

And for our wedding feast.... we are all going to..... All you can eat Chinese buffet, lol.

WE decided that we really dont want a formal wedding, we want to have fun and enjoy ourselves

without going into debt. We are asking that guest just pay for their meals, no present.

Anyway, thats the plan. Will let you all know later how it goes, good luck and grats on all the

other wedding happening, i will have a drink for you both too.

Ok onto SSN's.

To open a bank account i only needed my passport/visa, so that is done.

Also opened a walmart visa debt card.Its a prepaid card that you can reload, we chose the

Walmart MoneyCard Student Edition, which gives you two cards.

We put it in chris's name with me being the secondary card holder so we didnt need ssn

for me. So that maybe an option for those that would like to have a temporary card instead of

cash.

Waiting on a reply to my email about driving. Read that i can drive for 6 months on Aussie license, but

that is whilst i am a non citizen. it also states that if you become a resident of Kansas you must obtain

a Kansas license within 90 days. So will have to wait and see. Driving tho seems simple enough, keep right,

keep right, keep right is my new mantra :). The laws are also seem identical to aussie ones, with the exception

of sides (turn right on red, not left) I intend to get one asap anyway, or at least after i get married.

They asked for ssn for marriage license, but in the end i didn't need it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Hi Guys

I have been here 4 weeks this Tuesday coming.....I have tried to get a SS number but here in Tennessee they say I cannot get one because I don't have a work visa. Bill tried to add me to his bank acct and of course they wouldn't do that till I get a SS number. We spent a day going from place to place and I at the end of the day not getting anywhere decided that here in the States until i marry I am a no body. (NOT A GREAT FEELING) ..

The only good thing was seeing the bank managers face when Bill said I want to withdraw a large amount of money from my acct seeing you will not add Kathy and that is her money that she has transfered I want it in cash. T

I have been missing home and my kids and grand kids but i know in time it will get easier. We have been renovating the house and planning our wedding for the 27th Nov. We are having a wedding at home and catering ourselves. My girlfriend from OZ is coming for the wedding it will be great to have someone here from home.

I hope everyone is doing well and let us know when your getting married love Kathy

Re the SSN... are you applying in your visa name or married name? Visa name is always easiest.

Have you looked at this guide here: http://www.visajourney.com/content/ssn some people just have no idea what they're talking about so if the person at the desk denies you, ask to speak to their supervisor because it says in THEIR rules that you're supposed to get one (and there are links to their rules for you to print to take with you). Keep fighting it because as you've seen, it makes life a LOT easier :S

Waiting on a reply to my email about driving. Read that i can drive for 6 months on Aussie license, but

that is whilst i am a non citizen. it also states that if you become a resident of Kansas you must obtain

a Kansas license within 90 days. So will have to wait and see. Driving tho seems simple enough, keep right,

keep right, keep right is my new mantra :). The laws are also seem identical to aussie ones, with the exception

of sides (turn right on red, not left) I intend to get one asap anyway, or at least after i get married.

They asked for ssn for marriage license, but in the end i didn't need it.

re: driving

Be careful here. There was a thread about a Canadian driving on his Canadian licence in California and calfornia law states if you've been a resident of CA for 10 days then you need a CA licence..

moral of the story, until you get that GC you are still a visitor. Once you become an LPR (i.e. resident :P) then your actual resident clock starts ticking :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.