AFQuaid

7 weeks for a pair of glasses?

38 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I don't know anything about the UK system but in Canada we have the whole free healthcare thing but vision and dental are not covered. You need to get private health insurance for that. Maybe that's the case in the UK??

Very similar system. Vision is only covered under certain circumstances. There are NHS dentists but as anyone will tell you, when you go to the dentist here in the UK everything is itemised, £20 for an x-ray, £25 for an injection, £10 for this and £15 for that, then you have to see the hygenist once the dentist has finished with you, another £30 for that. Unless you have perfect teeth, a visit to the dentist can be very costly, even at NHS prices. Why do you think we Brits have such lousy teeth as a nation?

:(

edited to add this afterthought........

......if England was devoid of people and you just imported a nation of US citizens as the UK public, then there would be civil war inside a month because of the health care. :lol:

:P After seven weeks and a load of bull #######, an American would have b*tched so much the glasses would be free! Actually had a gal friend who did this very thing. She had a stigmatism, and the office she went to kept putting off why her glasses were not ready. She finally got them and the things had a big scratch on them, she took them back griping up a storm, and ended up with a free pair.

bar37.gif

Image14.jpg

bar37.gif

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

My mom had to do the same thing. She only had to get 1 glass but she has the same problem as the OP. They're bi-focal though.

She never spends money on herself so now that she had the chance she go a fancy Channel glass and it cost about U$300. :star:

Oh and it only took them 5 days to make it. :thumbs:

OUR COMPLETE TIMELINE

Latest steps:

10/26/2006- Consulate receives case (seriously, one month to receive the case?? BS!), and packet 3 that I sent even before they had received the case.

01/02/2007- Interview!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got a 221(g)

01/23/2007- Second Interview. VISA granted!!!

01/29/2007- VISA arrived.... no envelope though. I'm gonna contact them and see what happened this time!

01/31/2007- I'll have to send them one last financial support evidence.

02/01/2007- Evidence sent

02/02/2007- Evidence received by Consulate

02/06/2007- Consulate sends envelope!

02/07/2007- Envelope received!!!

02/10/2007- Flew to the USA!!!!!!

04/17/2007- Wedding day!!!

--- Wish us luck!!! ---

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Seven weeks for glasses and then they didn't even give you what you need? Ack!

Mama needs super-strong lenses and it takes them about two weeks to make her glasses... I can usually pick mine up next day.

Karen - Melbourne, Australia/John - Florida, USA

- Proposal (20 August 2000) to marriage (19 December 2004) - 4 years, 3 months, 25 days (1,578 days)

STAGE 1 - Applying for K1 (15 September 2003) to K1 Approval (13 July 2004) - 9 months, 29 days (303 days)

STAGE 2A - Arriving in US (4 Nov 2004) to AOS Application (16 April 2005) - 5 months, 13 days (164 days)

STAGE 2B - Applying for AOS to GC Approval - 9 months, 4 days (279 days)

STAGE 3 - Lifting Conditions. Filing (19 Dec 2007) to Approval (December 11 2008)

STAGE 4 - CITIZENSHIP (filing under 5-year rule - residency start date on green card Jan 11th, 2006)

*N400 filed December 15, 2011

*Interview March 12, 2012

*Oath Ceremony March 23, 2012.

ALL DONE!!!!!!!!

I don't know, I still like the idea of being able to see a doctor without having to pay an arm and a leg on the bills afterward. But moving on... :unsure:

Have you thought about the laser corrective procedure? You should ask someone whether you'd qualify for it.

I wish I had looked into it before moving to the US.

I don't know, I still like the idea of being able to see a doctor without having to pay an arm and a leg on the bills afterward. But moving on... :unsure:

Depends on the insurance, I suppose. I pay a copay ($20 for a regular doctor visit) and never see another bill.

I also like seeing a doctor when I'm actually sick - instead of the next available appointment being two weeks later.

Don't get me wrong, I totally wish NHS were wonderful. I'd love to move to the UK one day. But based on what I've seen so far with NHS, I don't know anymore. :unsure:

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

Depends on the insurance, I suppose. I pay a copay ($20 for a regular doctor visit) and never see another bill.

I also like seeing a doctor when I'm actually sick - instead of the next available appointment being two weeks later.

Don't get me wrong, I totally wish NHS were wonderful. I'd love to move to the UK one day. But based on what I've seen so far with NHS, I don't know anymore. :unsure:

I hear ya Tracy... I totally agree that things here are not perfect here by any stretch, but I'm not all that confident in NHS either. My sister-in-law had an illness that kept her out of work and in pain for 8-9 months and she couldn't get the necessary tests done because she was on a waiting list. In addition, my father-in-law bought private insurance years ago and is glad he has it, especially since he's been battling health problems for a few years now. I'm not so sure he would have been quite so confident in NHS. To be honest it DOES scare me because our goal IS to move back there some time in the future. With a pre-existing condition, I'm concerned about getting what I need, especially as I won't be a citizen and private insurance would be extremely high price I'm guessing because of my condition... :wacko:

Edited by Frances

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

In the UK can't you just go to the emergency room if you need it? And be covered by NHS?

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

In the UK can't you just go to the emergency room if you need it? And be covered by NHS?

Yes, whether you're a citizen or not. They won't turn anyone away from the ER. That is why it takes so long when you do go there :(

I don't care what anyone says about the NHS. I've had very bad experiences, and very good experiences. I would not hesitate to move back and use their services (and will be in the next few years). I've had nothing but horrible experiences over here despite having excellent health insurance. Quacks over here leave a lot to be desired... :unsure: It all depends on where you live both in the UK and the US IMHO.

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!

Timeline

Yes, whether you're a citizen or not. They won't turn anyone away from the ER. That is why it takes so long when you do go there :(

I don't care what anyone says about the NHS. I've had very bad experiences, and very good experiences. I would not hesitate to move back and use their services (and will be in the next few years). I've had nothing but horrible experiences over here despite having excellent health insurance. Quacks over here leave a lot to be desired... :unsure: It all depends on where you live both in the UK and the US IMHO.

I guess there is comfort in the devil you know, as opposed to the one you don't.... ya know? LOL

Edited by Frances

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED

Here an update on the glasses issue.

They phoned back this morning and said somebody would be out on the 9th August with the reading pair. I was absolutely fuming and couldn't keep my cool at this point, I told her tensely that I requested to have them delivered BEFORE that date because I'll be in London! And guess what? She'll get back to me.....

ARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for the discussion on the NHS, my opinion is I absolutely hate them. They are fine for somebody who is healthy despite the occasional bug but for somebody with a long standing condition the treatment is disgusting. For example:

When I was 10 years, I developed Scoliosis (curve in the spine) which is a symptom of my muscle weaking condition. Which had to be pointed out by a Junior doctor even though the consultant thought my back was fine but the Junior doc had em x-ray and guess what a JUNIOR doctor was right and had more knowledge. Then they see me 6 months later and tell me it's progressed to the point bracing isn't an option and put me on a waiting list. I was on that waiting list for 4 years! Till that surgery finally came around and with it marked "urgent" on my file as I was deteroriating rapidly to the point I couldn't lie down and had breathing problems. Due to the wait I was close to being too thin to have the surgery. But luckily they did it despite the high risk. I spent 3 days in ICU, a week in High dependancy and 2 weeks on the regular ward. I was then bedridden for a year due to incorrect pain management and lack of funding for a new wheelchair that could enable me to change my position. It took they contacting a wheelchair company in the US which somebody kindly flew over with a demo and low and behold I could sit up again! The Muscular Dystrophy Association had to fund the electric wheelchair for me because the NHS would not pay for the wheelchairs recline function which I needed in order to stay out of bed. Totally rediculas. It wasn't till 1 year and a half later that they sorted both wheelchair and pain management and my family and friends threatening to contact the head of NHS about this.

So as you can imagine they aint in my good books at all. I'm quite looking forward to going private when I get to the US :)

Love hurts

When you live an ocean away

When you change your sleep schedule to catch a few more moments

When you really need to be held and you have to imagine whilst your partner describes it

When you constantly refresh the USCIS website to see if you're getting any closer

Love Loves

When it repays you with the love of your life

When God finally answered your biggest prayer

When you can live life again in the real world but still have that eternal connection

When you wake up for to the beginning of the rest of your life with the person you fought so hard for

When you love somebody that much

You'll do anything

Timeline

good lord, that's AWFUL! :(

as for your glasses....GRRRRRRRRRR :angry:

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED

Filed: Timeline

I also have a ongoing disability and I can tell you that yes the service level in the UK is ####### but at leasts its free.... Medical insurance is very expensive here in the states and many dont cover pre-existing conditions.... so a Total knee replacement here in the States will cost me $48,000 and will last about 15 years so that gives me time to save up for the next one.... ok so yes you may have to wait years in the UK but at least it is free... here is you cant pay you dont get it done.....

Kezzie

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

wow.. insurance thing give me a headache.. i never have insurance until i'm herei n the US.. now i have to learn all about it and still confuse.. wish i'm still in Thailand where health care is still cheap (getting much more expensive though.. if in private hospital)

I hope you get the glass soon! for that mush cost you deserve it! (F)

K-1 = 4 months

AOS = 5 months

I-751 = almost one year

I Love My Life With You

"A society is judged by how it treats its animals and elderly"

Filed: Timeline

That sucks about your glasses. I have extremely horrible vision as well and I pay about $300-$400 per pair of contact lenses. Luckily one pair will last me two years if I take care of them. It's too bad you already paid them for your glasses, now you have nothing to threaten them with.

As for the whole universal/free health care debate, I'm on the fence. I used to be hardcore pro-private health care but it's sooooo expensive these days. I want lots of babies and I do NOT want to be paying $5000+ to give birth every time! But at the same time, I still think it's unfair to MAKE people pay for everyone else's health care.

24vs7qp.jpg

21ch82r.gif

"In our attempt to make everybody happy, we make nobody happy. And we lose elections." - Democratic activist Janice Griffin

So as you can imagine they aint in my good books at all. I'm quite looking forward to going private when I get to the US :)

Just because you go 'private' here does not mean the care or service will be any better. In some cases it can be a lot worse. Just ask any British nurse in the US who has worked in both sectors. The stories from here aint that pretty either.

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!