grooveman

Where are they processing the K-3's for Canadians?

19 posts in this topic

Hi all, new to the forum. My apologies if this has been covered somewhere else recently.

My question is concerning the interview and medical for the K3. My wife is Canadian and we just sent the last packet to the Dept of State, so I think we are close to the point where we will have to travel to the consulate to complete the rest of the process. What I have heard from some is that we will have to travel to both Vancouver and Montreal in order to complete the process to get the K3 Visa, yet someone else told me they got the medical part done in Calgary.

Is there anyone that has recently completed a K3 in Canada who can shed some light on this for me? We are only a few hours away from Calgary, it would be nice if we could at least get part of it done there.

Many thanks!

Edited by grooveman

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hi all, new to the forum. My apologies if this has been covered somewhere else recently.

My question is concerning the interview and medical for the K3. My wife is Canadian and we just sent the last packet to the Dept of State, so I think we are close to the point where we will have to travel to the consulate to complete the rest of the process. What I have heard from some is that we will have to travel to both Vancouver and Montreal in order to complete the process to get the K3 Visa, yet someone else told me they got the medical part done in Calgary.

Is there anyone that has recently completed a K3 in Canada who can shed some light on this for me? We are only a few hours away from Calgary, it would be nice if we could at least get part of it done there.

Many thanks!

If you sent paperwork to NVC, it would be for a CR1 or IR1, not a the obsolete K3 visa. All CR1 and IR1 interviews for Canada are in Montreal. Whether the medical can be done in Calgary, I couldn't say. It certainly can be done in Montreal.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

pardon - what were the contents of this last packet to the Department of State?

IMO - you've gots a timing issue here - as

IF the K-3 approval was BEFORE the 1st of February, you MIGHT have some chance for the K-3 to actually be sent through.

Otherwise, the K-3 will be administratively dropped at NVC office, never to go on to Canada, and the I-130 petition will be used - those are done ONLY in Montreal.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

pardon - what were the contents of this last packet to the Department of State?

IMO - you've gots a timing issue here - as

IF the K-3 approval was BEFORE the 1st of February, you MIGHT have some chance for the K-3 to actually be sent through.

Otherwise, the K-3 will be administratively dropped at NVC office, never to go on to Canada, and the I-130 petition will be used - those are done ONLY in Montreal.

We filed the I-130 over a year ago. We are doing it ourselves so there were some delays along the way getting them what they wanted. The last packet with the affadavit of support, marriage cert and police record check was mailed back to them in Jan. Havent heard back yet.

So we should be able to do everything in Montreal then? I don't know why some have told me they had to go to both Vancouver and Montreal..

Timeline
We filed the I-130 over a year ago. We are doing it ourselves so there were some delays along the way getting them what they wanted. The last packet with the affadavit of support, marriage cert and police record check was mailed back to them in Jan. Havent heard back yet.

So we should be able to do everything in Montreal then? I don't know why some have told me they had to go to both Vancouver and Montreal..

Probably because, like you, they confused the K3 with the CR1. Both are spouse visas but if you sent an affidavit of support and marriage certificate to NVC, that would be for the CR1, not the K3. Do you know the status of your I-129F petition?

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Probably because, like you, they confused the K3 with the CR1. Both are spouse visas but if you sent an affidavit of support and marriage certificate to NVC, that would be for the CR1, not the K3. Do you know the status of your I-129F petition?

Not sure, I just looked through all my paperwork and all I see references the I-130 only which was approved 09/12/08

Isn't the I-129 for the K-1 visa?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

No, the I-129 is a non immigrant work visa petition. The I-129F is for either the K-1 if not married or the K-3 if married.

If you are going for the Cr-1, which it looks like by your posts, then you will interview in Montreal.

At one point there was US immigration doctor in Calgary but now there are only 4 - 1 in Vancouver, 1 in Toronto and 2 in Montreal.

Good luck.

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline

OK.

smells like an I-130 petition for CR-1/IR-1 visa-type, then.

NOT A K-3.

What's going on with your K-3 ?

re: CaseStatus - CALL NVC, get a human . Inquire Case Status.

well, don't do it today. NVC is closed do to weather, today.

If you did file a K-3 - you should have 2 casefile numbers.

Check yer 797-C formletters - should be 2 letters, 2 approval notices, each with different casefile number.

One for K-3, one for I-130 .

Then, when you call NVC, give them the casefile numbers - and INQUIRE about the NVC Casefile # (different thing, be sure to ask for it).

THEN - with the NVC casefile numbers, inquire for case status for both the K-3 and the I-130.

as to last packet - eeeek - i'm sorry - did you miss something?

Affadavit of support - that's the I-864

Marriage Cert and Police Records Check - thats part of the original document requirements SET for the DS-230

Usually, people will delineate stuff for I-864 and DS-230 - it's different sets of documents and forms, tied to different fees.

What's up with the DS-230 ? when did you send it in, (not a date, but where in the process?)

Anything up about payment, as well? usually one pays twice, during NVC processing - have you sent off any monies?

I'll post some links in a new post here.

Good Luck ! (or something )

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Thanks for all the info, the main concern I had was having to travel to both Vancouver and Montreal but it looks like we won't have to do that. I didn't even know the K-3 was no more (and I even work for the same gov't agency, lol) anyway, I'll call them Monday and see what I can find out..

Edited by grooveman

Timeline
Thanks for all the info, the main concern I had was having to travel to both Vancouver and Montreal but it looks like we won't have to do that. I didn't even know the K-3 was no more (and I even work for the same gov't agency, lol) anyway, I'll call them Monday and see what I can find out..

What government agency is that? The new policy that kills the K3 is from NVC, part of State. USCIS is the left hand that probably has no idea what the right hand is doing. What are you expecting to find out that you haven't already been given access to?

Google Who is Pushbrk?

What government agency is that? The new policy that kills the K3 is from NVC, part of State. USCIS is the left hand that probably has no idea what the right hand is doing. What are you expecting to find out that you haven't already been given access to?

Yeah you're right about the left hand not knowing what the right is doing.. I was mainly just wondering where we would have to go for the final processing. I guess I will hear something back soon enough.

Timeline
Yeah you're right about the left hand not knowing what the right is doing.. I was mainly just wondering where we would have to go for the final processing. I guess I will hear something back soon enough.

You can be 100% certain the answer is Montreal. This ain't our first rodeo. :thumbs:

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline

Hey GrooveMan - that petition will be adjudicated in Montreal.

Good Luck !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

:thumbs:

Montreal - beautiful city. Take a few days there to enjoy it!

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.