Celtic Dryad

New At This

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Quick question - what is the financial obligation of a sponsor or a co-sponsor? is there are short table of easy to understand info about this somewhere on the site? thanks in advance!

th_MarcandKelley.jpg

Our Journey

2007-03-07 Met online (Second Life)

2009-02-21 Beginning of courtship

2010-02-21 First anniversary!

2010-05-20 Entry to the USA for first face-to-face visit (yay!)

2010-10-15 Anticipated I-129F filing date

2010-12-10 Anticipated second face-to-face visit (fingers crossed!)

2011-06-04 Anticipated wedding date (flexible)

event.png

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Quick question - what is the financial obligation of a sponsor or a co-sponsor? is there are short table of easy to understand info about this somewhere on the site? thanks in advance!

I don't think so, but read the actual I-134 used to get the visa and the I-864 used when adjusting status. In short, you are the primary sponsor and the other is similar to a cosigner, in that only if you fail to meet any obligations, do they come after the cosigner.

Bear in mind that affidavit of support comes after petition approval. They are not filed with the petition.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
I don't think so, but read the actual I-134 used to get the visa and the I-864 used when adjusting status. In short, you are the primary sponsor and the other is similar to a cosigner, in that only if you fail to meet any obligations, do they come after the cosigner.

Bear in mind that affidavit of support comes after petition approval. They are not filed with the petition.

LOL! Good to know (I have no idea what I'm doing - we're literally just getting started. actually, we're not even getting started yet; just asking questions and learning about the process)... under what grounds might they refuse a petition?

th_MarcandKelley.jpg

Our Journey

event.png

Timeline

by the way, am I the only one who gets tummy aches reading all of these K-1 threads because I am certain I will forget something important or not get approved?? :wacko:

Edited by Celtic Dryad

th_MarcandKelley.jpg

Our Journey

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
by the way, am I the only one who gets tummy aches reading all of these K-1 threads because I am certain I will forget something important or not get approved?? :wacko:

Nope. It happens to all of us! :blush:

Start with the guides (link is at the top of every page). If you follow the instructions in the K1 visa guide, it's unlikely you'll forget anything.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1guide

As far as your previous question, petitions are not often denied. More commonly, people make mistakes or don't include required documents, and USCIS sends an RFE (Request For Evidence) for the corrected or additional documents. If you're an eligible US citizen, you provide everything required, and respond to any RFE's in a timely manner, it's virtually certain that your petition will be approved. Less certain is the visa application stage at the foreign consulate.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

nope, you're not alone....I think we've all developed ulcers from the stress of the process. LOL

First step is to determine which Visa status to apply for...are you married or engaged?

Here is where we started: http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/visa_1750.html

I read every available bit of information I could get my hands on here at the Visa website, then came to VJ for issues I found confusing...or when I just needed to vent from the anxiety of it all.

Good luck and try to enjoy the journey...the days that I used our time apart to be productive were so much better than the days I gave into the indigestion.

07-24-09 : MARRIED!!!

08-17-09 : I-130 Sent

08-24-09 : I-130 NOA1

09-24-09 : I-130 Approved

10-06-09 : NVC Received

10-17-09 : We Received DS-3032

10-19-09 : Returned Completed DS-3032

11-04-09 : Received IV Bill

11-05-09 : Paid IV Bill online

11-05-09 : Received Instruction Packet

11-21-09 : Paid I-864 fee online

11-19-09 : Received I-864 Package

11-20-09 : FedEx del. DS-230

11-23-09 : RFE on I-864

11-23-09 : Letter of Explanation sent covering dependent issue for RFE on I-864

11-25-09 : Letter Received by NVC

11-30-09 : Return Comp. I-864 signed for by J. Desmond

12-07-09 : Called NVC and they do not show receipt of DS-230 even thought it "may be in the building"

12-09-09 : RFE DS-230-Called NVC and found out we have an RFE on the DS-230, line 30....

12-10-09 : Overnighted RFE requested documents to NVC

12-28-09 : Flew to Lahore...couldn't stand being parted this long...two weeks with the hubby!!

01-05-10 : LOGIN FAILED!!

01-11-10 : Interview scheduled for Feb 4th!!! (doing the happy dance)

02-04-10 : APPROVED...but placed in AP

06-02-10 : STILL WAITING FOR VISA...will this ever be finished and we can finally be together?

07-09-10 : Visa Received!!!

07-17-10 : Arrived in the US safely via Chicago :-)

Timeline
Nope. It happens to all of us! :blush:

Start with the guides (link is at the top of every page). If you follow the instructions in the K1 visa guide, it's unlikely you'll forget anything.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1guide

As far as your previous question, petitions are not often denied. More commonly, people make mistakes or don't include required documents, and USCIS sends an RFE (Request For Evidence) for the corrected or additional documents. If you're an eligible US citizen, you provide everything required, and respond to any RFE's in a timely manner, it's virtually certain that your petition will be approved. Less certain is the visa application stage at the foreign consulate.

Yep, I love those guides; they're so helpful! I just get a little overwhelmed when I read "be prepared to ask for this well in advance" or anything with the phrase "financial documents" LOL! By the way, confession: when I read, "Does this áo dài make me look fat?" I laughed out loud!

th_MarcandKelley.jpg

Our Journey

event.png

Timeline
nope, you're not alone....I think we've all developed ulcers from the stress of the process. LOL

First step is to determine which Visa status to apply for...are you married or engaged?

Here is where we started: http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/visa_1750.html

I read every available bit of information I could get my hands on here at the Visa website, then came to VJ for issues I found confusing...or when I just needed to vent from the anxiety of it all.

Good luck and try to enjoy the journey...the days that I used our time apart to be productive were so much better than the days I gave into the indigestion.

hahaha! I so believe it! We'll be applying for the K1 when it's time. We've been friends online for nearly three years and a couple for more than a year now but we still have to have our first face-to-face visit so we're not making any assumptions til that happens. We have a strong suspicion that this is "it" though so we're examining the steps we'll need to take. In the meantime, we're doing exactly what you suggested: enjoying the journey! :)

Edited by Celtic Dryad

th_MarcandKelley.jpg

Our Journey

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
hahaha! I so believe it! We'll be applying for the K1 when it's time. We've been friends online for nearly three years and a couple for more than a year now but we still have to have our first face-to-face visit so we're not making any assumptions til that happens. We have a strong suspicion that this is "it" though so we're examining the steps we'll need to take. In the meantime, we're doing exactly what you suggested: enjoying the journey! :)

Congratulations on finding the love of your life and I hope your face-to-face time is amazing and wonderful.

One thing that I found when I first started our journey for the Visa, was a post from Darnell that said (and I'm paraphrasing here) to use your waiting time or down time to explore the next step, research, print forms prior to the NVC (National Visa Center) requesting them from you and have the next packet of information ready for to send out as soon as you get the next notice.

This was soooo helpful to my husband and I and really helped us move fairly quickly through the process. The only RFE (returned form for more information or missing documents) was on our Affadavit of Support because my dependents on the form didn't match the dependents on my prior year tax returns. Although I included my divorce decree (which I assumed would explain the changes), the processing agent didn't take the time to read through the entire file and sent a request for a letter of explanation why they didn't match up. Frustrating...but things like this can happen even if you're 100% prepared.

It sounds like you're already a person who researches and preps ahead of time, so you should have very few issues. Sounds like you're looking at a 129F for fiance to start things off...unless you decide to elope during your first visit LOL. :thumbs:

What the heck is a áo dài???? sounds like it would make anyone look fat LMAO

Cheers!

07-24-09 : MARRIED!!!

08-17-09 : I-130 Sent

08-24-09 : I-130 NOA1

09-24-09 : I-130 Approved

10-06-09 : NVC Received

10-17-09 : We Received DS-3032

10-19-09 : Returned Completed DS-3032

11-04-09 : Received IV Bill

11-05-09 : Paid IV Bill online

11-05-09 : Received Instruction Packet

11-21-09 : Paid I-864 fee online

11-19-09 : Received I-864 Package

11-20-09 : FedEx del. DS-230

11-23-09 : RFE on I-864

11-23-09 : Letter of Explanation sent covering dependent issue for RFE on I-864

11-25-09 : Letter Received by NVC

11-30-09 : Return Comp. I-864 signed for by J. Desmond

12-07-09 : Called NVC and they do not show receipt of DS-230 even thought it "may be in the building"

12-09-09 : RFE DS-230-Called NVC and found out we have an RFE on the DS-230, line 30....

12-10-09 : Overnighted RFE requested documents to NVC

12-28-09 : Flew to Lahore...couldn't stand being parted this long...two weeks with the hubby!!

01-05-10 : LOGIN FAILED!!

01-11-10 : Interview scheduled for Feb 4th!!! (doing the happy dance)

02-04-10 : APPROVED...but placed in AP

06-02-10 : STILL WAITING FOR VISA...will this ever be finished and we can finally be together?

07-09-10 : Visa Received!!!

07-17-10 : Arrived in the US safely via Chicago :-)

Timeline

LOL! An áo dài is the outfit in JimVaPhuong's avatar picture - and no one looks fat in that photo :D

Well I've looked at the I-864 and I-864p for income requirements and I definitely fall over the 125% income requirement, which is great! But the thing that worries me is that, prior to last October, I was unemployed for a couple of years (the recession hit me *hard* from the start and bouncing back was rough). Until that time, I was literally couch surfing with friends and had no income so I filed no taxes. How on earth do I fix that, I wonder?

Edited by Celtic Dryad

th_MarcandKelley.jpg

Our Journey

event.png

You wont need that info until the interview. At that time you will file the I134. Your current income is the most relavant, the more past history you have is a bonus. Some have made it with minimal and others have required more - its pretty much up to the CO what they want to see.

The I864 is for AOS time. We are almost there so I'll be working on that one soon.

I dont think anything would make Jim look fat haha. I had the pleasure of meeting him in person as our fiancees interviewed the same day in Ho Chi Minh City. It was awesome (aside from all the consular stuff - that is always nerve wracking). Also, Jim does his homework and I respect his opinions tremendously!

6/15/2009 Filed I-129F

12/15/2009 Interview (HCMC, VN)

1/16/2010 POE Detroit

3/31/2010 MARRIED !!!

11/20/2010 Filed I-485

12/23/2010 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

12/31/2010 I-485 Transfered to CSC

2/4/2011 Green Card received

1/7/2013 Mailed I-751 package

1/14/2013 I-751 NOA (VSC)

2/07/2013 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.