9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey everyone,

We filed out adjustment of status a couple of days ago and are waiting like everyone else. We noticed my wife's passport expires in June. We cant travel, because we do not have advance parole, but what should we do. Wait for Green Card in hand to renew it or can we renew it now ?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hey everyone,

We filed out adjustment of status a couple of days ago and are waiting like everyone else. We noticed my wife's passport expires in June. We cant travel, because we do not have advance parole, but what should we do. Wait for Green Card in hand to renew it or can we renew it now ?

passport renewal and receipt of a greencard are not related... If you are in need to renew a passport you can renew it via the procedure established by the Canadian Embassy/Consulate to the USA nearest you.

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Moldova
Timeline

u dont need the GC to renew your passport..you can do this anytime...

GOD is Good,GOD is Great,GOD is Awesome!

*K1*(process time 7months & 13days)*

12.11.2007 -Filed I-129F

07.24.2008 -VISA interview. APPROVED!!!

*AOS*(process time 7months & 5days)*

11.26.2008 -Filed AOS,EAD,AP

02.09.2009- AP Received

03.20.2009-EAD Received

07.09.2009-2Year Green Card Received

*ROC*(process time 3months & 18days)*

04.04.2011-Filed ROC(I-751)

07.28.2011-10 Year GC Received

*NATURALIZATION*(process time 4months & 27days)*

04/02/2014- Filed N-400

07/08/14-Interview (Recommended for Approval)

08/29/2014-Oath Ceremony

as1cCDkFg000010OXNsenwxNjA0emx8V2UgaGF2Z

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
u dont need the GC to renew your passport..you can do this anytime...

I am german citizen and yes when I renewd my passport I needed the GC ,

but since your canadian ,I know you can renew it on line ( am not sure if you need the GC )

but since you just aplied for AOS (after you went for your biometrics ) why not waite a month or 2 and see if you get the GC in mail ,

129f for K1 visa filed in march 07 check my timeline for full info

03 March 2008 , received welcome letter and 2 year GC yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh

22 NOV 2009 to lift condition GC expires 22 Feb 2010

24 Nov 09 send in I 751 ( ROC , in VT )

25 Nov 09 Your item was delivered at 12:10 PM in SAINT ALBANS, VT 05479 to INS .

30 Nov 09 Check Cashed

21 Dec 09 biometric

On March 9, 2010, we ordered production of your new card.

12 March 2010 received approval letter in mail

16 March 2010 10 year Green Card received in mail exp date March 09 / 2020

April 14/2017 send N400 

04/25/17 credit card charged 

04/25/17 e mail NOA send 

05/01/17 hard copy of NOA dated 04/25 received in mail

05/06/17 biometric hard copy in mail 

05/19/17 Biometric appointment in Hartford CT 

07/17/17 Inline for Interview 

07/24/17 Interview letter in mail 

08/24/17 Interview in Springfield MA ... Yes Aproved

09/14/17 Oath Ceremony .... done I am a US citizen

09/22/17 Applied for Passport ( per reg mail ) 

10/04/17 got passport in mail  

10/13/17 got certificate in mail  , updated status with social security office 

AM DONE YEAHHHHHHHHHHH 

Timeline
I am german citizen and yes when I renewd my passport I needed the GC ,

but since your canadian ,I know you can renew it on line ( am not sure if you need the GC )

but since you just aplied for AOS (after you went for your biometrics ) why not waite a month or 2 and see if you get the GC in mail ,

It actually can't be applied for completely online, you can fill out the forms but it needs to all be sent in with originals of her birth certificate and then a copy of the marriage certificate and ID in her new name (if she is changing her name). The ID has to be picture ID so it has to be like a state drivers license etc...or her green card. You can apply before you get it though as long as you meet the rest of the requirements, a Greencard is not needed to apply.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Timeline

They will keep her old passport though and that contains all her K-1 Visa stuff/i-94 card and entry stamps... Will that be a problem if they send an RFE or something like that ?

Hey everyone,

Does your wife have her passport in her maiden name, and then took your name in marriage?

I have wondered if such a situation gives the woman difficulties with customs checkpoints during international travel.

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Timeline
They will keep her old passport though and that contains all her K-1 Visa stuff/i-94 card and entry stamps... Will that be a problem if they send an RFE or something like that ?

You dont have to send the old passport to them to get a new one.

Does your wife have her passport in her maiden name, and then took your name in marriage?

I have wondered if such a situation gives the woman difficulties with customs checkpoints during international travel.

A lot of Canadians seem to be ok with their marriage certificate showing they just havent changed their names yet.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Timeline

She did take my name, but im pretty sure all you do is take your marriage certificate with you to prove the name change.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.