Vann

No Joint Bank Account--Is that OK?

42 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello, everyone! This forum has always been very helpful for me so I hope you guys can help me out.

My wife and I are going to be mailing our packet to remove the conditions on her residence very soon and I was wondering about proof. We have a joint tax return photocopy, joint life insurance and joint health insurance...but we don't yet have a joint bank account. Should those three items I DO have be enough evidence? I certainly think it should be but I wanted your opinions. Thanks!

December 5, 2005: We met online and our lives changed--instant connection, became best friends

May 15, 2006: She is put on temporary hold from her job and asks me if I could hold on for her in the event she didn't get the job back. I said "yes, of course" and she finally proclaimed her love to me and admitted she'd loved me since February.

September 25, 2006: I land in Manila airport and rush into my baby's arms for the first time. We were both surprised to realise we were NOT nervous.

September 25, 2006: Our first kiss :P

September 27, 2006: I proposed to her in person and she accepted! :)

December 20, 2006: Mailed I-129 K1 petition to Texas service Center

January 15, 2007: Petition returned to me rejected :/ (placed wrong amount on check--duh!)

Febrary 10, 2007: Resubmitted the petition adding updated info pages and a CORRECT check

February 26, 2007: NOA1

May 28, 2007: I land in Manila on our anniversary and we feel whole and complete yet again :)

June 20, 2007: NOA2 which said it would take six months for an interview (Dunno why it said that)

August 4, 2007: My baby receives Packet 4 unexpectedly out of nowhere--the frantic cramming begins

August 23, 2007: Frantically prepared documents FedExed

August 30, 2007: My baby has a long two days at St. Lukes but checks out fine! :)

September 6, 2007: Interview date: after 8 agonising hours--APPROVED!!! :D

September 6, 2007: Plans for her arrival in January 2008 for our wedding are established! :)

January 28, 2008: Marriage

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

bills in both names?

lease in both names?

house deed in both names?

car titles in both names?

IMO - this evidence is also about 'the co-mingling of finances'. To not have a joint bank account, IMO, is a great fail.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
bills in both names?

lease in both names?

house deed in both names?

car titles in both names?

IMO - this evidence is also about 'the co-mingling of finances'. To not have a joint bank account, IMO, is a great fail.

A great fail even though we are joint tax filing, life insurance and health insurance? Those are all pretty major financial co-minglings, I would think, right? :unsure:

We live with my parents so we have no lease or house deed.

December 5, 2005: We met online and our lives changed--instant connection, became best friends

May 15, 2006: She is put on temporary hold from her job and asks me if I could hold on for her in the event she didn't get the job back. I said "yes, of course" and she finally proclaimed her love to me and admitted she'd loved me since February.

September 25, 2006: I land in Manila airport and rush into my baby's arms for the first time. We were both surprised to realise we were NOT nervous.

September 25, 2006: Our first kiss :P

September 27, 2006: I proposed to her in person and she accepted! :)

December 20, 2006: Mailed I-129 K1 petition to Texas service Center

January 15, 2007: Petition returned to me rejected :/ (placed wrong amount on check--duh!)

Febrary 10, 2007: Resubmitted the petition adding updated info pages and a CORRECT check

February 26, 2007: NOA1

May 28, 2007: I land in Manila on our anniversary and we feel whole and complete yet again :)

June 20, 2007: NOA2 which said it would take six months for an interview (Dunno why it said that)

August 4, 2007: My baby receives Packet 4 unexpectedly out of nowhere--the frantic cramming begins

August 23, 2007: Frantically prepared documents FedExed

August 30, 2007: My baby has a long two days at St. Lukes but checks out fine! :)

September 6, 2007: Interview date: after 8 agonising hours--APPROVED!!! :D

September 6, 2007: Plans for her arrival in January 2008 for our wedding are established! :)

January 28, 2008: Marriage

Timeline

live with parents -

bills that are 'doable' -

1. dish network

2. cell phones

3. Vonage VOIP

4. Internet Access Provider

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
live with parents -

bills that are 'doable' -

1. dish network

2. cell phones

3. Vonage VOIP

4. Internet Access Provider

Joint Bank accounts are very important

make sure you send official tax transcripts from the IRS , this can be obtained for free

Is there a reason why you don't have a joint account?

I know someone who never had a bank account until about 2 years ago, and he's in his early 40s. Just never needed it and resented the fees and charges.

Timeline Summary:

K-1/K-2 NOA1 - POE: 9 February - 9 July 2010

Married: 17 July 2010

AOS mailed - Interview : 22 November 2010 - 10 March 2011

ROC mailed - approved: 14 February - 18 June 2013

Citizenship mailed - ceremony: 9 February - 7 June 2017

VJ K-2 AOS Guide

USCIS considers co-mingling of assets to be powerful proof of a legitimate marriage.

This is well known and one of the most basic tenants of family immigration.

Given that, why do people who are on this journey NOT enter into the single most basic "transaction" of a married couple - opening a joint checking account?

It isn't like you have to put all your money together. Open a joint account and pay the household bills out of it. Husband and wife can still maintain their own separate accounts.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

We didn't have a joint checking account when we applied for ROC. Pretty much the only joint financial items we had were a joint credit card, joint car and renter's insurance and our tax returns which we filed jointly. I think I also enclosed copies of our Costco cards, and of course there was the lease on our house, but we had no life insurance, no wills, no joint health insurance, no joint car titles, not even any bills with both our names on them. We enclosed plenty of proof that we had been living at the same address though.

Not having a joint bank account is not a killer if you have plenty of other proof of co-mingling. It was our choice to have separate accounts at the time and we were confident that everything else we had showed that our marriage was genuine. We have since decided to open a joint account for convenience, but USCIS had no bearing on that as it was opened well after we were approved. Not everyone's circumstances will fit the so-called norm. Ours didn't and we decided we weren't going to get bent out of shape.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Does our application for RoC (I-751) lack sufficient PROOF??? :ot2:

Well, I must be in the same fix as some other member as we have "NO JOINT FINANCIAL CO-MINGLING OF FUND"!

1. Proof of marriage was simple: Marriage (license/ certified certificate), family photos, joint trips, & joint tax returns.

2. My business (corporation) and personal checking is separate as I pay all the bills.

3. My wife has checking/debt card where she sends most funds back to Philippines and occasional purchase.

sent copies of the Green Card, both of our Insurance Card to imply joint insurance, and Driver's learner permit

4. No lease, car titles only in my name as wife does not have driver's license, Nothing in both names!

5. My professional business did provide Health insurance for wife as I made her part time employee: tax deduction

6. I have life insurance on wife as we have two small children of 4 month and 20 months age. No life insurance on me: BAD

Both of us signed the application for RoC (I-751):

7. No affidavits as wife did not want to bother any of her friends. This made me wonder/ suspicious reasons.

Occasionally, wife was unhappy in our marriage & threatened to leave with children to flee to Philippines: this is a martial dispute. Would this concern immigration? impossible to discover this.

There is no perfect marriage and I am a crocodile to live with at time but I love my wife and children.

Too funny as only application and tax returns were co-mingled signatures. :rolleyes:

NOW: I understand why no touch/ reply to our I-751 recieved on October 29, 2009: three months and 22 days.

I would bet money that we will get an interview and possible RFE. :crying:

Removal of Conditions (I-751) Timeline to Permanent Resident

10/22//09- Mailed Petition Via USPS Certified Mail

10/29/09- NOA received: 21:23 AM on November 29, 2009 in LAGUNA NIGUEL, CA 92677.

11/12/09- Check Cashed

11/13/09- Received Appointment Letter for Biometrics

12/09/09- Biometrics in St Louis, MO

Waiting???? No card, nothing on USCIS as progress of petition for Change of Status

Edited by DocMay from Missouri

Is there a reason why you don't have a joint account?

I know someone who never had a bank account until about 2 years ago, and he's in his early 40s. Just never needed it and resented the fees and charges.

???

Banks now days offer free checking,savings and no fees, credit unions been doing it for a long time! Someones been in a cave for a long time!

'PAU' both wife and daughter in the U.S. 08/25/2009

Daughter's' CRBA Manila Embassy 08/07/2008 dual citizenship

http://crbausembassy....wordpress.com/

Timeline
Joint Bank accounts are very important
Sure ! I agree !!!

Timeline
Does our application for RoC (I-751) lack sufficient PROOF??? :ot2:

Well, I must be in the same fix as some other member as we have "NO JOINT FINANCIAL CO-MINGLING OF FUND"!

What decision process did you engage with, to decide to NOT show proof of co-mingled finances?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.