Moon9393

cant buy car without greencard??

16 posts in this topic

My friend applied for AOS,she has EAD and a good job but when she went to buy a car they turned her down cause she is not yet a permanent resident or a citizen. Isnt that weird? So why foreign students are allowed to buy cars in the U.S?? I dont understand! Any similar experiences?

Dont understand that I bought a new car before I even had my EAD.... was your friend applying for credit to buy the car??

Kezzie

yeah I believe she wanted to finance the car and they told her she couldnt do it cause she is not a PR or a citizen. :unsure:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

What about if someone co-sign it for you??? Would they accept it?

Carol

coracao.gif

CAROL & MARC

MY HONEY'S PROFILE

Remove Conditions

08-28-08 - Mailed I-751

08-30-08 - Delivered

09-01-08 - Touched

09-03-08 - Check cleared

09-06-08 - NOA1 in the mail (dated 08/29???)

10-09-08 - Biometrics (Touched)

12-16-08 - Email "Card production ordered"

12-24-08 - Santa came and brought my present (Greencard in the mail!)

kitazura.gifkpuppy1.gif

BICHON FRISE LOVER!!!

Filed: Timeline

So am I being a bit stupid here.... if her husband could not afford to pay for the car he had, to the point it was repossessed.... how in gods name do they intend on paying for a new one???? mybe the finance company did them a good turn.... they should sort out their finance problems first before taking on more..... IMO

Kezzie

So am I being a bit stupid here.... if her husband could not afford to pay for the car he had, to the point it was repossessed.... how in gods name do they intend on paying for a new one???? mybe the finance company did them a good turn.... they should sort out their finance problems first before taking on more..... IMO

Kezzie

He had a repo two years ago and he wasnt even married back then but its still killing his credit. She wants to get a car now cause she has her EAD and she now has a very good job. Plus she is been here in the states as a student for 4years and she managed to build a very good credit. But i guess that didnt help!

Filed: Timeline

Carol

I already have the greencard and the car thank god,I was talking about my friend! Her husband cant co-sign cause he just had his car repossessed :D

I thought you said he had just had his car repossessed.........

Kezzie

Carol

I already have the greencard and the car thank god,I was talking about my friend! Her husband cant co-sign cause he just had his car repossessed :D

I thought you said he had just had his car repossessed.........

Kezzie

yeah sorry its not what i meant my english is still not that good! I wanted to say he had a repo but it wasnt too recent. But that had nothin to do with her not being able to buy a car in her name just cause she doesnt have a greencard yet. But I guess thats the way it is and she will have to wait few more months

Thanks for the advice anyway

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Nothing to do with Cars, she wants to borrow money, does she belong to a Credit Union?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Has nothing to do with owning a car, but rather getting credit. If she doesn't have EAD yet seems she hasn't been here that long, possibly the company she is applying for credit through wants a longer credit history. When we purchased our car, because he did not have a ssn or any form of citizenship, they simply put me as the first owner and him second. Of course we payed cash, no financing involved. Another thing, if she has been applying for other credit recently, this can also be a reason for denial of a loan. Did she get an explanation other than the fact she doesn't have a green card? I had a girlfriend (us citizen) who had immaculate credit but was turned down by one bank because she had payed off a very recent loan to fast! :huh: Also when I worked for a dealer, I saw people turned down simply because they were over extending themselves with their credit, despite paying their loans on time. Just somethings she might want to think about, perhaps try a different credit company as well.

bar37.gif

Image14.jpg

bar37.gif

I have colleague who just moved here from other countries they are able to buy cars with a B1 which is a business Visa. The problem your friend has have to do with the CREDIT REPORT. Since there's no EAD therefore I assume he/she is new and don't have a credit history. As such your friend will need a Co-signer for the financing, but if someone is going to be a Co-signer they have to make sure your friend has a good job and able to pay back the loan.

Gone but not Forgotten!

As a said earlier she has EAD and she has a very good credit ,she been here in the US for the past 4years as a student and then she got married and applied for AOS. She actually even signed the paperwork and took the car home,the morning after the finance company called her and told her to take it back cause they said "she is not a citizen" (I believe they meant she is not a permanent resident ). That sounded so weird to me.... :huh:

I don't know abotu buying a car without greencard...but I can say we just bopught a new house and Paul's name is as co-buyer and we are still awaiting aos interview and ead!

Stacy (USA) & Paul (UK)

AOS Timeline

03/18/06 Our Wedding Day!

05/22/06 Sent off AOS/EAD package!

08/17/06 Rec'd EAD in the post!

11/08/06 Applied for AP via E-file.

12/26/06 Rec'd AP in post.

02/08/07 AOS interview - pending FBI name check.

06/30/07 Sent off EAD *renewal*!

09/04/07 Rec'd EAD in post.

11/07/07 Applied for AP *renewal* via E-file!

11/30/07 Rec'd AP in post.

04/11/08 Rec'd 10 YEAR GREENCARD!!!!!! :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.