beatlesrebel

2010 United Kingdom AOS Thread

339 posts in this topic

Holy cow!!! Phill and I had our legal ceremony on Monday, so now it's paperwork time. Hopefully we can get it sent off before they change the AOS fees!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! So happy for you!!! :dance::dance::dance::dance:

Ooookay, so I've been gathering stuff together so we can sit down and get our AOS paperwork filled out this week. Yeah, I have quite a few questions that I'm not finding the answers to! I don't want to post a bunch of questions on the forum and get yelled at. lol I hate this.... :crying:

Let us know what you find out so we can equally not be yelled at for asking :innocent:

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Ooookay, so I've been gathering stuff together so we can sit down and get our AOS paperwork filled out this week. Yeah, I have quite a few questions that I'm not finding the answers to! I don't want to post a bunch of questions on the forum and get yelled at. lol I hate this.... :crying:

What??? Just post right here!! This is the perfect thread to post any questions!! As long as one of you is british :innocent:

Our VisaJourney started July 2009 when I mailed the 129-F

Fiance here February 2010, married 10 days later

GC received in the mail 10-Jun-2010

Able to apply to remove conditions 12-Feb-2012

BABY GIRL BORN JULY 2011!!!

What??? Just post right here!! This is the perfect thread to post any questions!! As long as one of you is british :innocent:

lol Okay, here goes! My husband is the one from the UK, but I haven't gotten a chance to change my name on anything yet since we've been married. Do I need to do that before we fill out the forms, or will it even matter? Usually they want the woman's maiden name anyway I think. We haven't gotten his SSN yet because after reading on their website, they say that they will not accept photocopies of anything and we want to get the AOS stuff sent off ASAP (he'll be here two months in a few weeks and we don't want to wait longer than that). He doesn't NEED his SSN right now does he? From what I've read he doesn't. Can we wait until later on to get his SSN?

Also, on his DS-3025 from the medical, the doc checked the box that says "Vaccination history is incomplete, but he may use a blanket waiver because most of the shots weren't medically appropriate." She did check off that most of the vaccines were not appropriate because of his age. Thing is, he never received a waiver or anything, does that matter? I just don't want to send that in and they think that he didn't get all his shots because he actually had MORE than he needed.

I know I have other questions, which I'll have to ask later because they escape me at the moment! Thanks for your willingness to listen! I searched for about two hours last night around the website and just didn't find what I needed.

Timeline

I haven't gotten a chance to change my name on anything yet since we've been married. Do I need to do that before we fill out the forms, or will it even matter?

No, I haven't changed mine yet and plan to do it after the vow ceremony.

He doesn't NEED his SSN right now does he? From what I've read he doesn't. Can we wait until later on to get his SSN?

I don't think it's required, but it's really nice to have it. Both Dave and I went to the SSA office and got his. The guy at the counter went off his I-94 and 2 weeks later they mailed one that said,, "Not valid for work without blahblah approval." (EDIT: If you want to get a social security card soon to put him on benefits or bank accounts,) you MUST do this before the I94 expires.

When his greencard arrives, he will go down to SSa again and request a normal SS Card. Then with a normal card and a driver's license no employer will ever have to see his greencard. I think it helps put employer's minds at ease if they don't see the expiration date on the green card.

I just don't want to send that in and they think that he didn't get all his shots because he actually had MORE than he needed.

If you feel confident with that, then send it in. If you want piece of mind, call around to the civil surgeons and find the cheapest that will fill in and sign the vaccination part of the I693. My Dave got two more shots at the health department, then took all of his records to the CS> This form only cost us about $25.

I know I have other questions, which I'll have to ask later because they escape me at the moment! Thanks for your willingness to listen! I searched for about two hours last night around the website and just didn't find what I needed.

I hope I helped by providing our experiences! If I'm wrong on anything, feel free to set me straight.

Edited by Jewel-8

I hope I helped by providing our experiences! If I'm wrong on anything, feel free to set me straight.

Thank you SO much! That has helped tremendously! When you went to the SSA office, did they keep any of his travel documents or were you able to keep them? I was afraid they'd keep the originals until they sent the temp card which has had me nervous.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi,

you sound very excited, and all in a tizzy. I think I can help you with some, but the really genius of this stuff is NichNick, she is the fount of all things uscis.

1. the only thing that matters as to name change is your marriage licence, did you opt to change it when you signed that? if you did, you fill out the i-485 form with your married name. Also changing your drivers license etc only requires you to bring your certified marriage licence.

2. With regards to his SSN, I would say get it now, it only took mine 3 days to arrive from the time i went in and ordered it. its not that much of a bother really. yeah you can wait a bit longer, but towards the end of the i-94 they will not allow you to order an ssn until his legals status changes ( ie perm resident,) I read this somewhere, so you can check this information on these forums.

3. If the vaccinations are not age appropriate, dont worry USCIS knows this. I had my interview on Monday, she said " I see you havent had all your vaccinations, but dont worry they werent necessary" Uscis know thier shiznazz. Just double check that on the uscis website, not all civil surgeons know thier stuff over here. Get the waiver if you can

4. Keep an eye on the time, if his medical is more than a year old (from the fiance visa) he cant use it he has to get a new one.

and i'm done

hope you get it all sent off...

mrsM

Edited by MissusM09
4650093_bodyshot_300x400_1285472169089.gif

Timeline

Thank you SO much! That has helped tremendously! When you went to the SSA office, did they keep any of his travel documents or were you able to keep them? I was afraid they'd keep the originals until they sent the temp card which has had me nervous.

They didn't keep anything. In fact, there were not pens there so we didn't even get the app filled out. The guy didn't care and entered all of his info off the passport. He couldn't understand what Dave said his mother's maiden name was, so I had to translate for him.

Hi,

you sound very excited, and all in a tizzy. I think I can help you with some, but the really genius of this stuff is NichNick, she is the fount of all things uscis.

1. the only thing that matters as to name change is your marriage licence, did you opt to change it when you signed that? if you did, you fill out the i-485 form with your married name. Also changing your drivers license etc only requires you to bring your certified marriage licence.

The marriage license form we had didn't have an option to change your name.

2. With regards to his SSN, I would say get it now, it only took mine 3 days to arrive from the time i went in and ordered it. its not that much of a bother really. yeah you can wait a bit longer, but towards the end of the i-94 they will not allow you to order an ssn until his legals status changes ( ie perm resident,) I read this somewhere, so you can check this information on these forums.

Gotcha! We'll probably go in the first of the week next week and get it done.

3. If the vaccinations are not age appropriate, dont worry USCIS knows this. I had my interview on Monday, she said " I see you havent had all your vaccinations, but dont worry they werent necessary" Uscis know thier shiznazz. Just double check that on the uscis website, not all civil surgeons know thier stuff over here. Get the waiver if you can

Great, thanks for sharing your experience!

4. Keep an eye on the time, if his medical is more than a year old (from the fiance visa) he cant use it he has to get a new one.

Right. Luckily we're still good on that one!

and i'm done

hope you get it all sent off...

mrsM

Thank you and thank you for your advice! Really appreciate it!

They didn't keep anything. In fact, there were not pens there so we didn't even get the app filled out. The guy didn't care and entered all of his info off the passport. He couldn't understand what Dave said his mother's maiden name was, so I had to translate for him.

lol! Wow! Sounds like it's pretty easy then, that's good! Thanks for all your advice today, I really appreciate it!

Hi---Heard my name mentioned LOL. I clicked on the wrong UK thread as I normally check the other one. By the way, please don't be afraid to post any questions in that one because there's alot of experience and nice people over there and nobody yells at anybody. Beatlesrebel--there is a list for AOS on page 6 of that UK 2009 thread that might help you organize. The only thing not on the list is that form where they will let you know your applications were received.

SSN for AOS--don't need it at all. It provides no advantage to the AOS process. Put NONE in the blank. But do go get one before your 76th day, or he'll have to wait.

USCs name change isn't that important. Put whatever you like. If all your banking and tax records are in your maiden name, then it's probably less confusing to use the maiden name for the affidavit of support,etc. If the UK immigrant is female, then fill out all forms with your new married name. Think of AOS as a new process and not a continuation of the visa. If the new American version of you is going to be Mary Ann Marriedname, then use that.

I think if your husband had 2 MMRs and a Tdap recorded on his immunization sheet,and had VH by the varicella then he is good to go. That's what my husband had on his form. (maybe one MMR would do it) Nobody gives you a waiver to mail in. It's automatic. It's the dude looking at your application who knows the appropriate age limits and he "waives" any need for the other shots. We didn't do an I-693 and got no RFEs, but people seem to be afraid to try that now. My thoughts are still the same--a short delay in AOS isn't huge because you're married and together. It's not like you are planning flights and weddings and are crazy missing each other. Do what you feel better about and what won't cost too much or take too long.

If I can help with anything else, look for me in the other UK AOS thread. I've been a little scarce as we are in the UK right now, but I get online a bit.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi---Heard my name mentioned LOL. I clicked on the wrong UK thread as I normally check the other one. By the way, please don't be afraid to post any questions in that one because there's alot of experience and nice people over there and nobody yells at anybody. Beatlesrebel--there is a list for AOS on page 6 of that UK 2009 thread that might help you organize. The only thing not on the list is that form where they will let you know your applications were received.

SSN for AOS--don't need it at all. It provides no advantage to the AOS process. Put NONE in the blank. But do go get one before your 76th day, or he'll have to wait.

USCs name change isn't that important. Put whatever you like. If all your banking and tax records are in your maiden name, then it's probably less confusing to use the maiden name for the affidavit of support,etc. If the UK immigrant is female, then fill out all forms with your new married name. Think of AOS as a new process and not a continuation of the visa. If the new American version of you is going to be Mary Ann Marriedname, then use that.

I think if your husband had 2 MMRs and a Tdap recorded on his immunization sheet,and had VH by the varicella then he is good to go. That's what my husband had on his form. (maybe one MMR would do it) Nobody gives you a waiver to mail in. It's automatic. It's the dude looking at your application who knows the appropriate age limits and he "waives" any need for the other shots. We didn't do an I-693 and got no RFEs, but people seem to be afraid to try that now. My thoughts are still the same--a short delay in AOS isn't huge because you're married and together. It's not like you are planning flights and weddings and are crazy missing each other. Do what you feel better about and what won't cost too much or take too long.

If I can help with anything else, look for me in the other UK AOS thread. I've been a little scarce as we are in the UK right now, but I get online a bit.

Seeee... ####### do i know.. NIchNick's advice is solid. follow her...

4650093_bodyshot_300x400_1285472169089.gif

Nich-Nick should be a mod. I'm eternally grateful for her help in getting John to his K-1 interview. (F)

Edited by John and Camie

THE JOHN (UK) AND CAMIE (US) SHOW

K-1

[*]I-129F Sent : 2009-02-19 [*]I-129F NOA1: 2009-02-23 [*]I-129F NOA2: 2009-03-23 [*]John's Medical: 2009-05-11 [*]John's INTERVIEW - APPROVED!!: 2009-06-08 [*]VISA ARRIVES!!: 2009-06-12 [*]Camie Goes to England : 2009-06-18 [*]Our POE : 2009-06-24 [*]Got married and went to Jack-in-the-Box : 2009-07-07

AOS

[*]AOS Package Sent: 2010-02-13 [*]AOS Package Delivered (per USPS): 2010-02-15 [*]USCIS Email Confirmation (WOO HOO!!): 2010-02-23 [*]AOS Fee Check Cashed: 2010-02-23 [*]USCIS Status Check Available Online: 2010-02-24 [*]I-485 NOA1 Received and touch : 2010-02-26 [*]I-765 NOA1 Received and touch : 2010-02-26 [*]Biometrics: 2010-03-18 (letter received 2010-03-08) [*]EAD CARD RECEIVED: 2010-05-06 [*]INTERVIEW: 2010-05-21 - APPROVED [*]RECEIVED GREEN CARD: 2010-06-17 - Lakers FTW, then off to Disneyland to celebrate!

ROC

[*]I-751 Package Sent: 2012-05-18 [*]I-751 Package Delivered (per USPS): 2012-05-19 [*]CSC Fee Check Cashed: 2012-06-06
[*]I-751 NOA1: 2012-06-07 (dated 2012-05-21)
[*]Biometrics: 2012-07-16 (letter received 2012-06-25) [*]RFE: 2013-01-18 (responded on 2013-04-08)
[*]I-751 APPROVED: 2013-04-25 (dated 2013-04-19)

[*]10-Year GC Received: 2013-06-17

Christopher Midian Chance - 7lbs., 5oz., born 11-19-14 :wub:

Thank you, I will definitely check that out!

Sounds great. We'll go get it done next week.

Okay good, since I haven't changed my name yet, I'll just use my maiden name.

The doctor at the medical told him he had been given shots (at his local GP) that he didn't even need! lol So I knew he had them all, I just got a bit confused with what she marked. We should be good to go then. We've decided not to see a civil surgeon and have the I-693 filled out. It might be a risk, but we figure if we get an RFE we'll deal with it when it comes. It'll be interesting to see if we get one or not...

Thank you SO much for taking the time to stop in here and share your advice. I really appreciate it. I'll look up the other thread and see what's happening there as well. :) Thanks again!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.