beatlesrebel

2010 United Kingdom AOS Thread

339 posts in this topic

When did you go to the SSO (in terms of after POE and marriage)? I went within the first two weeks of POE and was given a SSN just fine, because I was still "in-status" (my I-94 hadn't expired). But after I was married and applied for AOS, I went back to change my name and was told that they couldn't issue me anything because my I-94 had expired and I had no legal status until I had my GC. I asked if she meant my EAD (since they just need something that says you're legal here currently and are allowed to work) and she didn't know what I was talking about. So I went back once I had my GC to get everything worked out. I would suggest going back and asking for a supervisor (assuming you're still within your 90 days of the I-94).

Phill still has over a month left before his I-94 expires. Maybe that's within the "too late" timeframe. I don't know. I would assume he would still be able to get a SSN now.

As for the I-864, I think your mum fills out the 'A' form and then on your form (the I-864) you add in her income under the household. Someone confirm that, though - it's been a while since I looked at that.

I did some researching around the boards last night and never did get a definite answer. It seemed as though my mom would fill out an I-864 as well and mark that she's the only co-sponsor. I really would like to get a confirmation on that though since there doesn't seem to be a definite answer! Thanks for your advice!

When did you go to the SSO (in terms of after POE and marriage)? I went within the first two weeks of POE and was given a SSN just fine, because I was still "in-status" (my I-94 hadn't expired). But after I was married and applied for AOS, I went back to change my name and was told that they couldn't issue me anything because my I-94 had expired and I had no legal status until I had my GC.

That's how I understood it to be, but I've definitely seen it mentioned that it's better to do it 2 weeks before the I-94 expires so they have time to process stuff. That was in relation to changing your name if you're changing it though.

Hi everyone, hope you're all doing well. I went to the Social Security Office in Iselin, NJ this morning and it was the most pleasant and easiest part of the process so far! We waited only for a few minutes and were called to the window. I just gave the lady my passport and completed application and told her I was a K1 holder. She promptly entered my information into the system and told me I'd have my card within 2 weeks! No problem at all!!! After reading your experiences I was ready to hand them the policy for K1's but it wasnt needed at all. Another step done! I'm so sorry to hear about your experience Beatlesrebel, you should definitely go back and speak to a supervisor!

Only 10 days to go for our wedding too. Everything is more or less in place for that now! I'm so excited! We even got our marrigage licence issued to us this week too. Its all happening now. :D :D :D

Good luck to everyone else!!! :)

Edited by RUSSandRACHEL

Hi everyone, hope you're all doing well. I went to the Social Security Office in Iselin, NJ this morning and it was the most pleasant and easiest part of the process so far! We waited only for a few minutes and were called to the window. I just gave the lady my passport and completed application and told her I was a K1 holder. She promptly entered my information into the system and told me I'd have my card within 2 weeks! No problem at all!!! After reading your experiences I was ready to hand them the policy for K1's but it wasnt needed at all. Another step done! I'm so sorry to hear about your experience Beatlesrebel, you should definitely go back and speak to a supervisor!

Only 10 days to go for our wedding too. Everything is more or less in place for that now! I'm so excited! We even got our marrigage licence issued to us this week too. Its all happening now. :D :D :D

Good luck to everyone else!!! :)

Woohoo! Congrats on the upcoming wedding and congrats on a speedy/easy Social Security experience! Think we'll try again on Monday. Oh one question--on the application form for the SSN question #5, what did you mark? Legal alien allowed to work or not allowed to work??

Howdy

I-864 stuff if you don't qualify on your own

The spouse fills out I-864 as the main sponsor.

A ) If co-sponsor lives in your same house (like your mom) then you add her income on your I-864. There's a place for other household member's income. So you come up with a total household income (yours + moms). Then mom will fill out an I-864A which is basically granting permission to use her income toward the support of the immigrant. Be sure and include proofs of mom's income and proof that mom is legal in the US as a citizen or GC holder.

B ) If co-sponsor does not live in the same house as you, then co-sponsor fills in an I-864. You do not add their income to your form as they are not a member of your household (even if they are a relative....it's about living under the same roof to be a household member.) They do not do an I-864A because they don't have to give permission for you to list their income on your form (because you're not listing it on your form.) Be sure and include proofs of co-sponsor's income and proof that he/she is legal in the US as a citizen or GC holder.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Howdy

I-864 stuff if you don't qualify on your own

The spouse fills out I-864 as the main sponsor.

A ) If co-sponsor lives in your same house (like your mom) then you add her income on your I-864. There's a place for other household member's income. So you come up with a total household income (yours + moms). Then mom will fill out an I-864A which is basically granting permission to use her income toward the support of the immigrant. Be sure and include proofs of mom's income and proof that mom is legal in the US as a citizen or GC holder.

B ) If co-sponsor does not live in the same house as you, then co-sponsor fills in an I-864. You do not add their income to your form as they are not a member of your household (even if they are a relative....it's about living under the same roof to be a household member.) They do not do an I-864A because they don't have to give permission for you to list their income on your form (because you're not listing it on your form.) Be sure and include proofs of co-sponsor's income and proof that he/she is legal in the US as a citizen or GC holder.

Thank you, Nich! After searching and searching I finally stumbled upon the answer a couple of hours ago, but feel more confident that it's the right answer now! I was going to post another question, so I'll just include it here--will the USCIS accept a photocopy of our certified marriage certificate, or do I have to go in and order one from the state?

Thank you, Nich! After searching and searching I finally stumbled upon the answer a couple of hours ago, but feel more confident that it's the right answer now! I was going to post another question, so I'll just include it here--will the USCIS accept a photocopy of our certified marriage certificate, or do I have to go in and order one from the state?

Yes, I'm sure photocopies of everything (but your official "I-xxx" forms) are acceptable. I sent in certified because I asked for an extra copy when we took the license to the county to be registered. You see a lot of questions on this, but the more I have read since we filed, I know people also send in photocopies with no problem. If you look at the instructions to the form I-485 (page 4, item 12B) it tells K1's to attach a copy of your marriage certificate.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Woohoo! Congrats on the upcoming wedding and congrats on a speedy/easy Social Security experience! Think we'll try again on Monday. Oh one question--on the application form for the SSN question #5, what did you mark? Legal alien allowed to work or not allowed to work??

Hi!!! Thanks! We're really excited for the wedding too. I marked 'not allowed to work'. The lady didnt say anything about being able to or not, but I know we can't anyway. Im sure if you go back and speak to a supervisor it'll be fine. Tell them you 'need' to apply for a social security number, not that you'd just 'like to'... That might help. Its your right. I can't believe they were so rude to you!!

Oh and I was just going to request another copy of our marriage certificate to send for AOS. I wasn't sure whether a copy would suffice either.

Edited by RUSSandRACHEL

K1 is Legal alien allowed to work.

If you would read that RM 00203.500 thing they suggest to print out and try to understand it, then maybe you can better explain it to the SS worker you get on your next visit and have some ammunition to argue with.

B. Policy - Evidence of Employment Authorization

Required evidence for employment authorization is either a Form I-94, Arrival/Departure Record, showing a class of admission that indicates the person can work without specific DHS authorization (RM 00203.500C.1.) or an employment authorization document (
EAD
) (Form I-766 or I-688B).

That says your I-94 is evidence of being authorized to work, based on your admission class.

1. General - Evidence of Employment Authorization

Employment authorization for nonimmigrants can be determined by:

the alien's class of admission code as shown on the I-94 (the non-immigrant classifications shown on the I-94 with employment authorization inherent in status are listed in RM 00203.500C.1.); or

That says look at the section RM 00203.500C.1 and see if your classification (K1) is on the list. So click on the link in the document and you get

C. Policy - Employment Authorization by Class of Admission

The following policy applies to employment authorization by class of admission:

1. Aliens Work Authorized Without Specific DHS Authorization

The following sections list nonimmigrants, by alien class of admission codes,
who are authorized to work in the U.S.
without specific authorization from DHS. The person’s I-94 will not have the DHS employment authorization stamp and the alien will generally not have an
EAD

(then a long chart follows)

Scroll down the chart and you will find K1 - Fiance of a US citizen. Notice K3 is not on the list. They are on the next list, if you keep scrolling. That list heading is 2. Aliens Who Require an EAD from DHS Authorizing Employment

So can you work? No, but it's that document that says you are authorized to work based on being a K1, which is how I answered your question about what to put on the SS application form.

(It will make sense if you study the document a little)

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

I read through that thoroughly too, but Nich-nick, you're not allowed to work anyway and when we've married, changed my surname and recieved my EAD, I'll just go back to order my new card and the new one won't say 'not authorised to work' on it anymore anyway. So it doesnt really make much difference. I understood that theres no way that you're permitted to work after POE until you recieve EAD. Isn't that right?

I read through that thoroughly too, but Nich-nick, you're not allowed to work anyway and when we've married, changed my surname and recieved my EAD, I'll just go back to order my new card and the new one won't say 'not authorised to work' on it anymore anyway. So it doesnt really make much difference. I understood that theres no way that you're permitted to work after POE until you recieve EAD. Isn't that right?

Correct, you can not work before EAD. The post was more for Beatlesrebel who wants to try again for the SSN. They want one just to get the number, not to start working immediately. That document is what allows SS office to give you a SSN. According to it, a K1 is on the list of "authorized to work." So I was just saying what is the correct answer to put on the SS form in answer to the question a few posts back. A K1 is "authorized to work" for the purpose of filling out the SSN application. Apply in the name exactly like it is written on the I-94 for best results of them finding you in the database.

And yes, after you have all the things Rachel mentioned, then go back and get the name changed and the wording removed from the card.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Yes, I'm sure photocopies of everything (but your official "I-xxx" forms) are acceptable. I sent in certified because I asked for an extra copy when we took the license to the county to be registered. You see a lot of questions on this, but the more I have read since we filed, I know people also send in photocopies with no problem. If you look at the instructions to the form I-485 (page 4, item 12B) it tells K1's to attach a copy of your marriage certificate.

Thanks Nich! That's what I thought, but so many places need certified copies anymore that I was a bit concerned about it. I made a colored photocopy so you can see the colored stamp and signature. The only thing you can't see is the raised stamp.

K1 is Legal alien allowed to work.

Wow thanks!! Apparently in the past week or so, the link that was provided to print out this information (on the "how to get a SSN guide") has been updated because when I printed it out the other day, it was just a one page memo. This makes much more sense and has much more information!

we are married!!!!!! and slightly drunk

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.