beatlesrebel

2010 United Kingdom AOS Thread

339 posts in this topic

Hi everybody! We got my husband's green card in the mail on Friday, so I guess the visa journey is over for now ... although I'm already thinking about ROC, hehe.

On Thursday morning I woke up for a glass of water and fainted in our kitchen :wacko: But my husband still can't drive yet, so I ended up driving us over to the hospital :wacko: I think he really wants to learn to drive now!! haha Fortunately I am doing OK. And actually, the residual effects of motivating him to learn to drive are really cool :hehe:

Our naturalization timeline
1/12/2015 - Application sent to Phoenix service center by USPS priority mail

1/14/2015 - Package received in Phoenix

1/16/2015 - NOA date (hard copy received 1/22)

1/20/2015 - Check cashed

2/09/2015 - Biometrics

2/11/2015 - In line for interview

3/28/2015 - Hard copy interview notice received

4/29/2015 - Interview at Chicago field office - Approved!!!

5/22/2015 - Oath ceremony - Now a US citizen!!!!!!

Thank you, VisaJourney!!!!!

"Contrary to what the cynics say, distance is not for the fearful, it is for the bold. It's for those who are willing to spend a lot of time alone in exchange for a little time with the one they love... It's for those knowing a good thing when they see it, even if they don't see it nearly enough..."- Anonymous

an1cHsK0g000610MTNsc3wxMDAwOTk4c2F8V2Uga

Hi everybody! We got my husband's green card in the mail on Friday, so I guess the visa journey is over for now ... although I'm already thinking about ROC, hehe.

On Thursday morning I woke up for a glass of water and fainted in our kitchen :wacko: But my husband still can't drive yet, so I ended up driving us over to the hospital :wacko: I think he really wants to learn to drive now!! haha Fortunately I am doing OK. And actually, the residual effects of motivating him to learn to drive are really cool :hehe:

Congrats on the green card! WOOT!! Hope you are doing okay! That's scary, but at least your hubby was there to help you out!

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

Hope everyone is doing well. Haven't heard from anyone on this list in awhile and thought I would check in. Phill finally found a job at the end of March. He moved here April 14th of last year, so he was almost out of work for a year! He's working at the local Walmart temporarily helping with their remodel...he's been told that he has a high chance of being kept on there, which is great! Has everyone else here found work? I'm curious to know something. Phill's work card expires this year, whereas his resident card expires next year. I guess I thought the work card would last two years as well. I guess we need to find the info on how to renew it, so he can continue working before his resident card is up.

The green card supersedes the work permit. He no longer needs the work permit now that he has the green card. You just need to renew the GC when the time comes.

Thanks for the info!! I had done some searching of the forums the other night and was happy to read we won't have to renew the work permit!

Hi everyone! I thought it was about time that we checked in too. How is everyone doing?

I have to say that it has been really hard for me here. I've found settling in really difficult and become really homesick in the last few months... I guess it's because we're nearing a year since I moved out here to NJ. We've also been through a really terrible time lately too. Russ was laid off from his job in January by his so called 'friend' who he'd known for 20 years! We spent the last 3 months searching for a job like mad and struggling to pay for bills and food. Then finally he found a new job last week and started on Sunday! He's going to be working for Five Below as a store manager at a new store thats opening up in 4 weeks and hes doing training now leading up to the opening.

In the meantime, I got myself out there and found a part time job in a local salon doing manicures, pedicures and facials. Its hardly the Hyatt spa that I worked at back home but its fine for the moment. I'm looking into taking the skin care licence now. Hopefully, as I was a beauty therapist for 8 years, I won't have to go back into studying again. The one thing that has been going really well though is my new business. Since I had my employment authorization, I've been making and selling jewellery and hair accessories (mostly for bridal and special occasion wear) and its really going from strength to strength! Its a lot of work though and I do it every single day... running my website and blog but I LOVE it!

I haven't learnt to drive here yet. Russ' car isn't up to it really. Its in desperate need to a fix up first. The roads here scare me senseless but I know its something I have to master if I'm to gain more independence.

So... Whats everyone else up to? I hope you're all settling in well!

Edited by RUSSandRACHEL

• 2 weeks later...

Phill finally found a job at the end of March. He moved here April 14th of last year, so he was almost out of work for a year! He's working at the local Walmart temporarily helping with their remodel...he's been told that he has a high chance of being kept on there, which is great! Has everyone else here found work?

Congratulations to your husband! I'm sure it's a weight off both of your shoulders. I think overcoming the hurdle of getting a job will be one of the hardest for my husband, and maybe for most people in our situation. It's only been four months or so since he has received his green card, though, so I guess it's still too early to despair.

Hi everyone! I thought it was about time that we checked in too. How is everyone doing?

I have to say that it has been really hard for me here. I've found settling in really difficult and become really homesick in the last few months... I guess it's because we're nearing a year since I moved out here to NJ. We've also been through a really terrible time lately too. Russ was laid off from his job in January by his so called 'friend' who he'd known for 20 years! We spent the last 3 months searching for a job like mad and struggling to pay for bills and food. Then finally he found a new job last week and started on Sunday! He's going to be working for Five Below as a store manager at a new store thats opening up in 4 weeks and hes doing training now leading up to the opening.

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear that it has been difficult for you both. It sounds like things are looking up now, though. I hope the quality of your life together continues to go up, up, and up while you both work and such!! My husband is learning to drive now, but he's a little nervous about driving over here as well. But actually, he never drove in England, so he's mostly just nervous about driving in general! But I'm teaching him, and it seems his nerves are calming down with every practice trip we take. You'll get more confidence with practice ... once the car is up to it!

So yeah. For us, no job, no driver's license yet, but we did get ......... my husband's first unsolicited credit card offer in the mail! I guess that means he has some kind of credit history here now, which makes me super happy. I added him as an authorized user on one of my credit cards, but I wasn't sure if it was actually doing anything. I guess it is. Yay yay :)

1/20/2015 - Check cashed

2/09/2015 - Biometrics

"Contrary to what the cynics say, distance is not for the fearful, it is for the bold. It's for those who are willing to spend a lot of time alone in exchange for a little time with the one they love... It's for those knowing a good thing when they see it, even if they don't see it nearly enough..."- Anonymous

I understand where you're coming from. I've been having a really hard time the last few weeks in particular with homesickness. The royal wedding had me howling for 24 hours! Me and the hubby are struggling in general. I am now working but I don't have guaranteed hours, and until I am full-time we can't move out of the room we are sharing in my in-laws. I am very grateful for the rent-free roof over our heads, but this salty-tongued liberal Brit is feeling a bit suppressed in her uber-conservative in-laws' household! Hopefully the boy will be getting a promotion soon though which will give us a chance to move out and finally start living like a married couple...

Guess what I'm trying to say is, you are not alone!

So yeah. For us, no job, no driver's license yet, but we did get ......... my husband's first unsolicited credit card offer in the mail! I guess that means he has some kind of credit history here now, which makes me super happy. I added him as an authorized user on one of my credit cards, but I wasn't sure if it was actually doing anything. I guess it is. Yay yay :)

I got one of those today!! Very exciting. People actually want to give me credit :)

Jess
Forewarned is forearmed

See my Timeline for previous USCIS applications

Lifting Conditions
2/20/2013: Filed
2/25/2013: NOA1

7/5/2013: RFE

8/23/2013: Approved

8/31/2013: GC received

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just boiling over with good news and have to share! My husband got two job interviews in the past week! One is at the local video store, but one is in his field (graphic design) at a company that has videogame breaks and free beer in the fridge for employees. We're obviously crossing our fingers for the second one :lol:

1/20/2015 - Check cashed

2/09/2015 - Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.