1,001 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Thanks, Andi, for the reassurance. I need it. I kept going back and forth, but when it came down to these pre-school days of my daughter, I just kept thinking "these are irreplaceable and I'll never get them back once they're gone". She's now 15 months. I guess we'll try to get there by the time she's 4 or so. And who knows, we might me going back with her little baby brother or sister, too :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi La gringa !

I agree with you... instructions of packet 3 are sooo confusing !

about your questions:

1) They say not to send any documents.. I think you just send: Checklist signed, I-864 & DS230..and all documents should be available at the time of the interview

4) I dont think you need Carta de Antecedentes no Penales.. Mexico is in the list of countries of "not available police certificate"..look in page 9 of the packet 3 instructions. It says " Do not attempt to obtain Police Certificate of any of the following countries.."

7) In my personal opinion I dont Think the "march" at 18 counts as military service

All other questions about I-864 I cant answer.. because this time I just apply for my son and I didnt need to file I-864 for him. But hope someone respond the questions.. because I will need to file one for my husband .

Good Luck !

I will call today to Cd Juarez Consulate to see if they already have an appointment date for my son.. or if I need to send any additional documentation. I sent packet 3 on August 3rd..so I think its time to call.

Thank you, Marisol, for your respone.

In the checklist, there are two things, #3 police certificates which are not available, and #4 Prison records (antecedentes penales). It says you need them only if you have been convicted of a crime. My husband hasn't, but I think we'll get one anyway since he has gotten one before and isn't a real big fuss (just a little fuss!).

Marisol, did you write anything about domicile?

I hope someone can answer my other questions... please??

Timeline

Mmmmm... I just called CDJ Consulate... 5 minutes for nothing ... they told me they dont have any information yet about my son's case... and told me to wait 6 weeks from the date I sent packet 3 (it was Aug 3) to call again.

I remember that they told Lia792 the same thing... So I dont have any choice but wait..or hope the letter of appoinment comes first (but I dont think so..I havent received any letter in my Mexico Address.. not even the approval of I-130 from Monterrey).. I got the I-130 approval by e mail and the packet 3 letter from CDJ in my address in USA.

Timeline

Hi everyone,

So after alot of soul searching (and crying), hubby and I have decided to postpone our visa journey. We lose our $355 USD from the I-130 petition and of course, I will have to do all of the paperwork all over again. But we've decided that staying here until our daughter (now 15 months) is ready for school is our best bet. We have a successful coffee shop, I have the TRUE luxury of not working and raising our daughter, and it just seems to be more appealing than going to the US where neither of us have a job lined up, paying triple in rent, and putting our daughter in expensive daycare. Anybody have thoughts on this?

Jaremedios-

I agree with your decision to stay in Mexico as long as you are in a place that is safe. I prefer living in Cozumel than the US but my daughter is going to high school this year so we decided it would be best for her to go in the US rather than in Cozumel. My husband has his own barber shop (also very successful) so he isn't in a hurry to come to the US, he is really just doing it so we can be together while my daughter goes to high school. Once she is in college, we will probably move back to Cozumel unless we are "raking in the dough" in the US. I am a certified bilingual teacher so I had no trouble finding a job in Texas, but my husband's English is limited and he can't be a barber in TX since he doesn't have any licensing there so we aren't sure what he will do, but I'm sure we will find something since he isn't one to just sit around and do nothing.

So feel proud of your decision and lucky that you have that choice. Was there a particular reason why you were thinking about moving to the states?

Timeline

Thank you, Marisol, for your respone.

In the checklist, there are two things, #3 police certificates which are not available, and #4 Prison records (antecedentes penales). It says you need them only if you have been convicted of a crime. My husband hasn't, but I think we'll get one anyway since he has gotten one before and isn't a real big fuss (just a little fuss!).

Marisol, did you write anything about domicile?

I hope someone can answer my other questions... please??

Are you talking about domicile in the US? I just put my mom's US address since that is where we will stay until we find a home to buy.

Hi Andi,

I saw Marisol answered some of your ?s so sorry if some are already taken care of...here's what I would suggest:

1-no copies

2-rewrite NEVER EMPLOYED/UNEMPLOYED

3-send documents as though you are reestablishing or that you have maintained (I sent driver's license, credit card statements,etc and that was enough)

4- CDJ has confirmed over the phone that neither are necessary for packet 3. sounds like no one was asked for them at interviews

5-left blank

6- i would come up with rough dates

7- doesnt count

All the best!

ariana

Hi, everyone! I'm preparing packet 3 to send to CDJ and have some questions I hope you can help me answer.

1. The instructions on packet 3 are so confusing. It says not to send anything from the checklist but then it says you need to submit a copy of each document with the visa application. So should I send them or not?

2. In my I-864, question 22, I put d. Unemployed and wrote "Never employed. See attachment", but on question 25, where they ask about tax returns, do I leave it blank, or write the attachment note again? The attachment is a letter explaining why I didn't file taxes.

3. Speaking of letters, I have to send one along with the I-864 about how I meet domicile requirements, right? How do I know if I do meet the requirements or should I just write it as if I'm reestablishing domicile? How picky is CDJ about this?

4. Has anybody who has gone to the interview been asked for the Carta de No Antecedentes Penales? Also on the checklist they ask for military records. My husband has his cartilla, is this what they want?

5. In I-864, on part 9 (Information on Preparer), did anyone fill that out? I am preparing the affidavit for my joint sponsor, but am not sure if I should fill it out or if it's only in case a lawyer does it, since it says Firm name and all that. I'm leaning towards leaving it blank.

6. In my husband's DS-230, question 35 asks about previous visits to the US. He has entered many times, like once a month for the last 9 years and many times a year before that since he was a child. Some people suggest writing "multiple entries since [date]" but he can't remember the year he first started crossing. Any ideas? Can I write "Multiple entries since childhood"?

7. Also on DS-230, question 34 asks about military service. You know how all men (and now women!) have to "march" when they turn 18, does this count as military service? I'm thinking no.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this. I appreciate your help!

Andi

Filed 130 in person in Mexico City June 2010

130 approved next day

No case number until July 21

Sent Packet 3 July 21

Packet 3 approval date Aug 4

Oct. 4 Interview- Approved!

Timeline

Hi Andi,

I saw Marisol answered some of your ?s so sorry if some are already taken care of...here's what I would suggest:

1-no copies

2-rewrite NEVER EMPLOYED/UNEMPLOYED

3-send documents as though you are reestablishing or that you have maintained (I sent driver's license, credit card statements,etc and that was enough)

4- CDJ has confirmed over the phone that neither are necessary for packet 3. sounds like no one was asked for them at interviews

5-left blank

6- i would come up with rough dates

7- doesnt count

All the best!

ariana

Ariana: What part of the process are you at?

Timeline

Ok, so here's my take on the questions (or how I would have done it if I were continuing the process)

1. Where does it say to "submit a copy of each document with the visa application"? I don't see it, but I do see "Do NOT send them to the consular office". So I would say no. Just send: the signed checklist, DS-230 Part I, I-864 and supporting financial forms and supporting documents for domicile (I had ready driver's license, lease with my parents, credit card statements, bank statements, emails with daycares).

2. I am also unemployed but since 2008. I left 25 blank and put an attachment form of why I didn't file taxes (my income before 2008 was too low to reach the minimum and after 2008, I had no income to file). I think on this thread Jilly and Danny mentioned a form that you can file for when your income is too low. I, however, didn't file it. Hopefully that's not a problem. I would definitely inclue an explanation of why you didn't file taxes (it mentions to do so in the instructions). I didn't think it was necessary to explain why you were never employed, though.

3. I wrote a letter to say that I lived abroad for 8 years but I maintained my domicile in US (my parent's) and attached evidence (see #1 above).

4. I don't think it's difficult to get the Carta de no Antecedentes so I would just in case. I don't think the "cartilla" is necessary.

5. I would leave Part 9 blank. I think it's for lawyers. Just make sure your joint sponsor is aware of how you filled it out in case asked.

6. I would fill it out to the best of his memory. I don't think they will nit pick but on the other hand, seeing "multiple entries" sounds vague and suspicious.

7. No, it doesn't count as military service.

Hope this helps!

Thank you, everyone, for your helpful replies!

Jaremedios, the letter I wrote is not about why I wasn't employed, but about why I didn't file taxes. Also, in Packet 3, right after #10, it says "Only one copy of each document, except photographs, must be submitted with the visa application." That's why I was confused, but everything I've read says not to send any docs.

I think I'm going to write a letter like you said about how I lived abroad. I have a State ID, credit card and bank account statements and I'll make up a lease with my mom. I'll see what else I can think of to include.

About the dates of entry to the US, I'm going to have to guess the dates he crossed. But how far should I go back? 1 year, 5, 32? That's what I did for my daughter's CRBA. It was like 13 sheets of dates. :wacko:

Ok, now I have a new question. I'll be in the US this weekend getting my joint sponsor's signature, so I wonder if I can send it from over there? I suppose I can, has anybody done that? I would send it to the El Paso address mentioned in packet 3.

Thanks again for all the help!

Andi

Timeline

Oh how I remember the CRBA entries. I made a copy of that so I never have to try to remember all those entries and departures again (if I have another child here). I would say start from the first entry he remembers and then work your way forward. I'm almost positive your joint sponsor can send the forms separately from you, but do you want to take the chance of it getting lost? In my opinion, it would be best to keep all your paperwork together.

Timeline

I meant that I want to send the whole package from the US.

I still don't know if I'll get everything else done by this weekend anyway!

I suggest you to send the whole package from here (mexico).. to the address in Cd Juarez..just do it by DHL or Redpack, etc.. so you can track when they receive it. Never trust mexican regular mail!

I paid $240.82 pesos when I sent my packet 3.. from Cd Victoria, tamps to Cd Juarez. It was delivered next day.

Good Luck !

PS..I didnt understand why you were talking about a letter of reestablish domicile in USA.. but now I know.. Its part of the I-864...I dint send any of that because for my son I sent I-864 W.. and they dont ask for that. But I will need one for my husband... hopefully I Will be in USA when I start my husband process. (sad but necessary !)

Timeline

Lets review at what point of the process are we Mexico DCFs who has been posting here:

Lia792 -- already approved !

Claireg -- already approved!

Jaremedios --- I-130 approved but in hold right?

La Gringa -- Almost ready to send packet 3 to CDJ

Me (Marisol) --- Already sent packet 3..waiting for Interview Date

ArianaK--- ??

Czmjacq --- Waiting for letter of new appoinment

Jilly&Danny--- Interview August 31

Are we all??

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.