1,001 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!

For those of you that have gone through the I-130 petition in DF I am wondering if you had to have an appt to turn in the paperwork.

The last few days I have been calling the Embassy and have e-mailed and have not been able to get in touch with anybody! The operator just kept transfering me over and over and nothing.

Is it safe to just show up there with the paperwork? Its a 2hr drive from Guanajuato, and quite a bit in toll$$ so I dont want to go all the way there and not be able to turn them in.

Is an appointment necessary?

Thanks in advance for any input/recommendations!

Hi everyone. The letter arrived at my US address (just THINKING about calling the 1900 line makes things happen it seems;-)

We have an interview, Oct.4 (same as you guys Richie!) guess I am going to make my La Quinta reservations and book a flight right now! Jilly I'm so grateful for all your on the ground reports. I am forgetting how you pay for the medical, credit card? And most people are able to pick up the next day at DHL right?

Esperanza, there is no appointment. But the earlier the better! You will wait downstairs in a general waiting area and then will go turn your documents in upstairs (don't let them make you through anything out at the XRAY, ask to leave your bag in paqueteria if you have stuff).

Filed 130 in person in Mexico City June 2010

130 approved next day

No case number until July 21

Sent Packet 3 July 21

Packet 3 approval date Aug 4

Oct. 4 Interview- Approved!

Thanks Arianak! Good to know...having lived in DF I know I can't circulate before 11 since I have plates from MN so maybe we will have to go the night before. Was there a lot of people? Thanks again and good luck to you at your appt!

Hi everyone. The letter arrived at my US address (just THINKING about calling the 1900 line makes things happen it seems;-)

We have an interview, Oct.4 (same as you guys Richie!) guess I am going to make my La Quinta reservations and book a flight right now! Jilly I'm so grateful for all your on the ground reports. I am forgetting how you pay for the medical, credit card? And most people are able to pick up the next day at DHL right?

Esperanza, there is no appointment. But the earlier the better! You will wait downstairs in a general waiting area and then will go turn your documents in upstairs (don't let them make you through anything out at the XRAY, ask to leave your bag in paqueteria if you have stuff).

Thanks Arianak! Good to know...having lived in DF I know I can't circulate before 11 since I have plates from MN so maybe we will have to go the night before. Was there a lot of people? Thanks again and good luck to you at your appt!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hello everyone!

For those of you that have gone through the I-130 petition in DF I am wondering if you had to have an appt to turn in the paperwork.

The last few days I have been calling the Embassy and have e-mailed and have not been able to get in touch with anybody! The operator just kept transfering me over and over and nothing.

Is it safe to just show up there with the paperwork? Its a 2hr drive from Guanajuato, and quite a bit in toll$$ so I dont want to go all the way there and not be able to turn them in.

Is an appointment necessary?

Thanks in advance for any input/recommendations!

We went through DF. The USCIS office is only open to the public Mondays and Thursdays fom 9-1, so make sue you go on one of those days. Also, even during those 8 hours a week, they hardly ever answered their phone when we were trying too. However, you don't need an appointment; you can go straight in. When we went there was no wait. There were like two other people in the office. (we went on a monday morning).

Timeline

Funny how that happens!! And too why does it seem like so many appointments are on Mondays -- the worst day of the week!!

Timeline

Hey all!! Thanks for the good luck. It worked, he was approved!!

Our appointment was at 1:15, and they don't let you in more than 30 minutes before your appointment time, so don't even bother going sooner than that. I tried to go in with him, but they wouldn't let me go. So in answer to...someone's question, they WILL NOT let the US Citizen in with the applicant!! I'd read of some people who went in and some people who were not let in in the past, but they were very clearly not letting anyone else but applicants in. At the other end of the consulate building there is a closed waiting room with air conditioning, chairs, and televisions where I waited. When I got there, it said for people applying to be residents the wait would be 3-5 hours. My husband took 4 hours exactly.

This is his account of the experience: He went in and had to go through airport like security. Then he was given a number and sent to the waiting area where he sat watching the screens. He was first called to turn in documents. He was asked for his birth certificate, our marriage certificate, his sealed medical report, passport, photos, and Tourist visa. He said there he was asked who was filing for him and if it was his first marriage and if we had any children. Then he was told to sit back down and watch the screens again for his number.

The next time his number came up he was sent to make the payment. He said everyone was charged 404 dollars and he paid with a debit card. He was sent back to his chair to watch again for his number.

The third time he was sent to get his fingerprints scanned. They took all 10 fingers. And again, to the waiting area.

He said what followed was by far the longest wait, but he doesn't know how long because he didn't take a watch and none of the screens had clocks on them. He was finally called for the interview, which lasted about 5 minutes. They asked:

Full name.

(Raise hand and swear to tell the truth)

What is your wife's name?

Have you ever been in the States illegally?

Is it your first marriage?

Do you have any children?

How did you meet your wife?

Have you ever been to jail?

Have you ever been in trouble with the police?

Who is (name of our co sponsor)?

Do you have an F1 visa? (we don't know what that is)...A student visa? (yes, from before)

Where are you going to live?

What do you do?

Then he was told he was approved and to go to DHL to pay (110 pesos). And that was it. He got a tracking number but we were told it won't say anything until 10:00 am tomorrow. They also said that most of the time the Visas are ready to be picked up the following day. Hopefully there won't be any delays.

Timeline

Jilly and Danny

Thanks so much for all the detailed information -- you are a great source and we really appreciate it!!

Sooo how did his interview go??

Well ignore the post above... I apparently was writing at the same time you were... so here is my new post/

WOW- some more GREAT information!!

We all appreciate you taking the time to let us know all the details...it really helps to know what to expect.

Sounds like your husband has a great memory!!

Do you allow you to take a book or magazine in to read while you are waiting? Or are you supposed to just look at the screens the whole time so you don't miss seeing your number pop up?

You will probably be on your way back home as soon as you pick up the VISA but once you have time, please let us know about what time it was ready.... I keep hearing 2pm as the most common response.

Thanks again and CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Timeline

Well ignore the post above... I apparently was writing at the same time you were... so here is my new post/

WOW- some more GREAT information!!

We all appreciate you taking the time to let us know all the details...it really helps to know what to expect.

Sounds like your husband has a great memory!!

Do you allow you to take a book or magazine in to read while you are waiting? Or are you supposed to just look at the screens the whole time so you don't miss seeing your number pop up?

You will probably be on your way back home as soon as you pick up the VISA but once you have time, please let us know about what time it was ready.... I keep hearing 2pm as the most common response.

Thanks again and CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Yeah they let you take anything in that isn't on their prohibited list. We took books, but when they told me I couldn't go in my husband told me he didn't want to take his book, but they were ok with him having it. They also said he could have taken his watch, which I told him would be best to leave at home. But he said there were NO clocks inside so I'd suggest taking a watch.

I'm happy to help out with as many details as we can provide! I know (first hand) how anxious it makes you feel not knowing what's going to happen or how its going to work. If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

CONGRATULATIONS !!! Im so happy for you guys !! :dance:

Thanks so much for all the detailed information !.. you are so nice to share everthing with us !

:D

Yeah they let you take anything in that isn't on their prohibited list. We took books, but when they told me I couldn't go in my husband told me he didn't want to take his book, but they were ok with him having it. They also said he could have taken his watch, which I told him would be best to leave at home. But he said there were NO clocks inside so I'd suggest taking a watch.

I'm happy to help out with as many details as we can provide! I know (first hand) how anxious it makes you feel not knowing what's going to happen or how its going to work. If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Timeline

I'm soooooo happy for both of you! Congratulations on the end of your visa journey! May both of you enjoy the rest of your US Journey ahead!

Your account of what happened was great. Glad you were posting in the moment. I know afterwards it's like a blur.

Just 2 questions for future reference:

1. Did you get your husband's birth certificate translated to English before?

2. Did he get his photos taken in CDJ or did you find a place in your city that would do them correctly?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Arianak: im so glad you received the letter !.. so It wasnt true about what they said before (2 or 3 month of waiting!).

I hope I receive the letter soon too.

Good Luck ! and keep us posted ;)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.