twofromtunja

change immigrant visa to tourist visa

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline

Has anyone ever applied for their parents to come on an immigrant visa and then request to change it to a tourist visa once they arrive in the U.S.A.? My USC wife's parents were denied (once, so far) for a tourist visa, but we want them to be able to visit us here. We know that we could bring them on an immigrant visa, but they're not sure they want to actually immigrate.

Thoughts?

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Has anyone ever applied for their parents to come on an immigrant visa and then request to change it to a tourist visa once they arrive in the U.S.A.? My USC wife's parents were denied (once, so far) for a tourist visa, but we want them to be able to visit us here. We know that we could bring them on an immigrant visa, but they're not sure they want to actually immigrate.

Thoughts?

Goodness what a question. I suppose it is feasible but think of the stress and cost of applying.

At the Embassy they may ask if they are going to live in the USA permanently and then at the POE. How would they answer?

They may well ask for proof of health insurance, where they are going to live etc etc.

I may be wrong but it is possible but at some stage they would have to answer some very difficult questions.

Hope that helps, I am sure others will comment!

Richard

IR-5 FOR BOTH PARENTS

04/23/09 : I-130 Sent

04/30/09 : I-130 NOA1 Received

08/10/09 : I-130 Approved

08/14/09 : I-130 NOA2 Received

08/17/09 : NVC Case Numbers issued

08/17/09 : Called NVC and registered email addresses against Case Number

08/20/09 : Received DS-3032 & I-864 Bill

08/20/09 : Paid I-864 Bill

08/21/09 : Returned Completed DS-3032 Forms (by email)

08/23/09 : Receive I-864 Package

08/24/09 : Return Completed I-864

08/26/09 : I-864 Acknowledged at NVC

09/03/09 : Receive IV Bill

09/03/09 : Paid IV Bill

09/03/09 : DS-3032 Accepted

09/04/09 : IV Bill shown as PAID

09/04/09 : Returned Completed DS-230 package

09/08/09 : DS-230 Received NVC

09/17/09 : RFE (Military Record of Service & German Police Check)

10/02/09 : RFE Documents sent by DHL to NVC

10/07/09 : Documents arrive at NVC

10/16/09 : Case Complete NVC

10/26/09 : Received email notification of case complete

10/29/09 : Notification of interview date by email

10/30/09 : Medicals Booked

11/17/09 : Medical in London (Richard)

11/19/09 : Medical in London (My wife)

12/01/09 : Interview in London

12/01/09 : Required documents faxed to embassy

12/09/09 : Required documents faxed again to embassy

12/09/09 : Hard copies of documents mailed to embassy

12/17/09 : Visa received by courier

12/18/09 : US ENTRY ORLANDO!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Thoughts?

I only know of one person who was able to pull this off and I'm not sure if it's doable or if they just had a special case. The story goes as this, he's a naturalized US citizen and his mother came to the US on an immigrant visa. She was here for almost a year, went back to Colombia for a few months and then came back for another few months. She really did not like it here one bit so he went to the US embassy in Bogotá with her to explain their case and they gave her a US tourist visa without any issues, meaning she's no longer a permanent resident. Now, that's the story I got from them a few years back so I don't know exactly what they had to do, if anything.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

We are thinking of doing the same trip as my MIL can't get a tourist visa from PI.

Doesn't cost that much. About 1K for the process and medical.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Timeline
I only know of one person who was able to pull this off and I'm not sure if it's doable or if they just had a special case. The story goes as this, he's a naturalized US citizen and his mother came to the US on an immigrant visa. She was here for almost a year, went back to Colombia for a few months and then came back for another few months. She really did not like it here one bit so he went to the US embassy in Bogotá with her to explain their case and they gave her a US tourist visa without any issues, meaning she's no longer a permanent resident. Now, that's the story I got from them a few years back so I don't know exactly what they had to do, if anything.

Diana

I've heard of this happening, but I haven't heard any specifics. I'm thinking that if the CO won't give a tourist visa because they are afraid that someone might overstay and really intends to immigrate, why wouldn't they say, "oh, you don't want to immigrate but would like to visit? - ok". Seems too simple, which is why I'm wary that there's a problem.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

If they've been denied a tourist visa and you intend to go the immigrant visa route without them actually being PRs, you do realize they are going to lose that GC quite quickly too?

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Timeline
If they've been denied a tourist visa and you intend to go the immigrant visa route without them actually being PRs, you do realize they are going to lose that GC quite quickly too?

They don't want a green card - they want a tourist visa. Yes, I realize that they'll lose the PR status, but they don't want it - they only want to visit. Hence, the idea of changing to a tourist visa.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
They don't want a green card - they want a tourist visa. Yes, I realize that they'll lose the PR status, but they don't want it - they only want to visit. Hence, the idea of changing to a tourist visa.

You can not change to a Tourist Visa.

You could immigrate, relinquish your status, apply to immigrate again as many times as you want to.

As a immigrant then you have other issues, medical insurance and taxes being the obvious one. You will not get travel insurance if you are immigrating.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.