visaveteran

Tourist visa for wife's son

13 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I hate to interrupt the important issues of asking if one loves his fiancee, giving 11 versus 12 flowers, or living in the Ukraine versus Vermont...but my wife's son wants to visit us in June on a tourist visa. Looking for info, links, advice on how to proceed. My wife's son just got out of the Russian Army (he's 19), does not have a job and lives in my wife's flat.

Thanks.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I hate to interrupt the important issues of asking if one loves his fiancee, giving 11 versus 12 flowers, or living in the Ukraine versus Vermont...but my wife's son wants to visit us in June on a tourist visa. Looking for info, links, advice on how to proceed. My wife's son just got out of the Russian Army (he's 19), does not have a job and lives in my wife's flat.

Thanks.

it is a $131 investment and some time... you will never know until you try

YMMV

Since he's 19 and unemployed, wants to come in the summer, etc., why not have him get a work visa?

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Work visas are employer based. So not that easy to get one.

You can write a well worded letter of invitation but he must qualify for the visa on his own. That is, he must demonstrate overwhelming ties that would compel him to return to his country after his visit.

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

They issue those summer work visa thingies through universities over there all the time. Have him get one of those. I have no idea what they're called, only that it usually costs about $500 for the "penalty" and it's good for like six months or something. They even have services set up on most campuses to get them done.

Last summer, many of the workers at the local baseball games were attractive young Ukrainian girls. They came here on the same deal.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

That's a J-1 student work and travel visa, Slim. And they must be a university student to get one. My step-daughter tried to get one a few years ago and was denied based on the fact that her mother was here and married to a USC, so may not be so easy. She did get a 2 year tourist visa last year.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

The story I've heard with those is they pay a service company $500 and it's pretty much a given they'll get the visa. As always though, beware of visa scams, especially on that end. With the ease of tourist visas recently, that may be the best bet.

Русский форум член.

Timeline
The story I've heard with those is they pay a service company $500 and it's pretty much a given they'll get the visa. As always though, beware of visa scams, especially on that end. With the ease of tourist visas recently, that may be the best bet.

Yes, my step daughter used a service company out of Moscow. You pay a fee which includes the companies processing charge, insurance while you are in the US, and airfare to the US. The student still has to go to an interview at the embassy and still must qualify in the eyes of the embassy. Those that get denied get a refund of most of the money they put up.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

Timeline
She did get a 2 year tourist visa last year.

So you request a two-year visa on the form? How much does that cost? Is there a restriction on how often she can visit during the two year period?

Also, how important is an invitation letter? And do I need to show I have the funds to support the tourist while in the USA?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
So you request a two-year visa on the form? How much does that cost? Is there a restriction on how often she can visit during the two year period?

Also, how important is an invitation letter? And do I need to show I have the funds to support the tourist while in the USA?

The visa processing fee is currently $131 for a tourist visa. Your stepson applies for a visa... the CO decides single/multi entry and term based on individual facts and circumstances.

If they issue a single entry visa it is one time use. If it is multi entry then they can use more than once during the validity term

FWIW, the State Department says the "invitation" letter is not so important and that the CO must decide based on the individual qualifications of the applicant and not based on a promise made by a US citizen.

YMMV

Timeline
The visa processing fee is currently $131 for a tourist visa. Your stepson applies for a visa... the CO decides single/multi entry and term based on individual facts and circumstances.

If they issue a single entry visa it is one time use. If it is multi entry then they can use more than once during the validity term

FWIW, the State Department says the "invitation" letter is not so important and that the CO must decide based on the individual qualifications of the applicant and not based on a promise made by a US citizen.

Good informatio0n...thanks! I have heard from some Russians that Pony Express handles applications and charges a lot of money. Is this true? How much does the process cost in total? About how long from start of filing to final decision by consulate?

Timeline

In our case she did not initially request the two year visa but was given that option, or perhaps she asked for it at the time of the interview.

In our case I believe the invitation letter was critical. There is an immigrant visa still pending for my step daughter and I made sure to let them know we would make sure she returned to Russia so as not to cause a problem with her immigrant visa.

I'm not sure the Pony Express rates, but my SIL didn't say anything about it being expensive so it must not be too bad.

Русский форум член.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.