workin4somethin

Keeping up with current news and events in Russia

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I was wondering:

How do your Russian spouses here, in the USA, typically keep up with Russia's current news and events (other than through friends and family)?

Spasibo!

from Andrew

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
I was wondering:

How do your Russian spouses here, in the USA, typically keep up with Russia's current news and events (other than through friends and family)?

Spasibo!

Internet is just about it for us.

www.vesti.ru

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/russian/news/default.stm

http://www.ntv.ru/

are good places to start, but there are plenty of others.

Finally, http://www.gwu.edu/~slavic/webcast/ contains spoken Russian

news, spoken at a speed that I can understand.

2004-08-23: Met in Chicago

2005-10-19: K-1 Interview, Moscow (approved)

2007-02-23: Biometrics

2007-04-11: AOS Interview (Approved)

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
I was wondering:

Spasibo!

Internet is just about it for us.

www.vesti.ru

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/russian/news/default.stm

http://www.ntv.ru/

are good places to start, but there are plenty of others.

Finally, http://www.gwu.edu/~slavic/webcast/ contains spoken Russian

news, spoken at a speed that I can understand.

Search engines in russian

Rambler.ru

Yandex.ru

You can find just about anything. Direct TV offers Russian channels for additional cost to your basic chanels. In Florida 4 russian channels are about $30.00 a month, you can also just get one for $14 extra a month.

Most States have russian community websites.

Like this was the most popular in Texas -

http://ourtexas.org/

this is how people meet, chat, put parties together and so on...so there are a lot of ways...:)

I hope this helps.

Eva.

I-130 approved in 113 days

NVC Processing

07.11.06 Case number assigned

07.24.06 DS 3032/AOS Bill Generated

07.26.2006 DS 3032 via email

07.28.2006 AOS fee paid and overnighted

07.29.06 NVC confirmed getting choice of agent

07.31.2006 Recieved actual AOS/DS 3032 bill via regular mail

07.31.2006 IV Bill generated

08.05.2006 IV bill recieved

08.11.2006 IV Bill Paid sent by mail

08.26.2006 Finally got Affidavit papers by mail

08.28.2006 Sent Affidavit by mail

ticker.png

ticker.png

7.17.2006 Replied to IMBRA RFE 07.18.2006 Touched ( I guess they recieved RFE) 07.24.2006 Touched

7.26.2006 Touched again 7.28.06 Touched again (they keep sending it to the old address) This case is stuck!

ticker.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I am familiar with most of the above...

I keep current with English versions of Russian newspapers

http://www.moscowtimes.ru/indexes/01.html

http://english.mn.ru/english/

http://english.pravda.ru/allnews_en.html

Edited by Neonred

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

It is possible to watch Russian TV via the internet. I'm not sure the site, but someone was on here before saying there were several websites where regular Russian TV shows are broadcast. Maybe you can google it, or find it in a previous thread.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
I was wondering:

Spasibo!

Irina is a news junkie. When she's surfing the Web, answering email, or doing homework, she always has a Russian-language Internet news channel blaring. In addition, to make her happy, I switched from cable to DISH Network and ordered their four all-Russian digital channels. As a reult of this, I have not heard any news in the English language since our marriage in December. When President Bush gives a speech, I hear him speaking (dubbed) Russian, which I don't understand.

Not that I'm complaining ...

05 07 05 .... Filed 129F with Nebraska Service Center

12 05 05 .... Successful interview -- visa granted

12 24 05 .... Married!

06 22 09 .... Irina takes the Oath and becomes a US Citizen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Try www.memocast.com for Russian movies and programs. Some are free and some you need to be a member for. My Russian stepdaughter has been watching the free programs daily.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline

Here is my wife's favorite...RussianSeattle. Scroll down the entire page to check streaming video and radio links. Some links work and others don't. It is trial and error...hit and miss. But it is free!

http://www.russianseattle.com/radio_r.htm

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

US Congresswoman Barbara Jordan (D-TX)

Testimony to the House Immigration Subcommittee, February 24, 1995

most authentic way to get the taste of russia is to get a real time russian TV on the net. for 9$ a month one gets three major channels:

NTV, Pervyi, and Russia. the quality is not perfect and more importantly not constant but you'll get your money worth...

www.russiantvonline.com

obender

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
most authentic way to get the taste of russia is to get a real time russian TV on the net. for 9$ a month one gets three major channels:

NTV, Pervyi, and Russia. the quality is not perfect and more importantly not constant but you'll get your money worth...

www.russiantvonline.com

obender

I watch www.webtelek.com for free....

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I was wondering:

There is this little thing called, "the internet". Maybe you've heard of it? There are all kinds of news sources on the internet. You should check it out.

Cheers!

AKDiver

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.