elmcitymaven

UK DCF -- the ins and outs and ups and downs

309 posts in this topic

For DCF you need to file I-130 in the first stage together with a G-325A form for the sponsor and one for each intending immigrant (so if your wife is sponsoring you and you are the only intending immigrant she's sponsoring, you need two G-325A forms). At that first stage they also require passport size pictures, a copy of your marriage certificate, a copy of the USC's passport and proof of their legal right to live in the UK (so a copy of your spouse's UK visa). Plus the filing fee. There is a complete checklist on the London Embassy website that I linked to above.

The I-864 comes much later - for DCF you have to present it at the interview together with all the supporting evidence (tax returns etc. etc.). There are also some other forms that need to be filed at a later stage. Again see the London Embassy website for full details.

I-485 is not needed if the intending immigrant resides outside the US at the time of the application, so you shouldn't need it at any point.

Thank you again. So instead of the I-485, it's the DS-230 pack, basically the forms they send after the I-130 gets approved?

Been looking all over the place to get the correct fees and not having a whole load of luck! The I-130 seems to be $420 and the DS-230 pack seems to be $404. Is this right? Are there any other fees I will have to pay? Medical? Sorry to bombard you with so many questions but just one more!! Baring in mind I'll have to fly to London from N. Ireland twice(Medical&Interview), in your opinion would I be better off just going down the normal IR-1/CR-1 route?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Greece
Timeline

Thank you again. So instead of the I-485, it's the DS-230 pack, basically the forms they send after the I-130 gets approved?

Been looking all over the place to get the correct fees and not having a whole load of luck! The I-130 seems to be $420 and the DS-230 pack seems to be $404. Is this right? Are there any other fees I will have to pay? Medical? Sorry to bombard you with so many questions but just one more!! Baring in mind I'll have to fly to London from N. Ireland twice(Medical&Interview), in your opinion would I be better off just going down the normal IR-1/CR-1 route?

Quite frankly, it'll probably take around the same amount of time either way you do it - 8 to 10 months, so just start it when you are ready to file.

Yes, that's correct about the forms. You can also download them from the Embassy website.

Re the fees - yes, it's $420 for filing of I-130 and $404 for visa processing (can be paid in its sterling equivalent). The medical in London costs 200GBP (eek!). It can be more if they give you any vaccines that you haven't had, but you can either have them at your GP for free prior to going in for the medical or tell them that you will have them at your GP before the interview and they're fine with that (I assume you'd then have to present some updated record from the GP at the interview - not sure how it works, as I stupidly agreed to have a shot I was missing there at Knightsbridge Doctors and paid more :bonk: ).

Also to get a UK police certificate they charge 35GBP. And I believe that's everything fee-wise.

Edited by Christi85

My CR1 timeline (DCF London):
June 26, 2010 - civil wedding
Aug 2, 2010 - I-130 package mailed to the London Consulate (DCF)
Aug 9, 2010 - NOA1 (confirmation of receipt) via email
Sep 4, 2010 - religious wedding
Oct 21, 2010 - NOA2
Nov 25, 2010 - Case number received in the mail
Nov 29, 2010 - Medical
Dec 1, 2010 - DS-230I & DS-2001 forms mailed back
Feb 1, 2011 - Interview - APPROVED!!!
Feb 7, 2011 - Passport with Visa received via courier
June 7, 2011 - POE Los Angeles (LAX)
June 18, 2011 - 2-Year Green card received in the mail!!!

My ROC journey:
April 2, 2013 - I-751 package mailed to California Service Center

April 3, 2013 - NOA1 date
April 8, 2013 - check cleared
May 6, 2013 - Biometrics completed

July 25, 2013 - 10 year green card APPROVED!! (notification via text and email, and website updated)

July 29, 2013 - ROC approval letter received in the mail

July 31, 2013 - 10 year green card received in the mail!!!

My N-400 journey:

March 19, 2014 - N-400 package mailed to Phoenix, AZ Lockbox

March 24, 2014 - NOA1 date and Priority Date

March 27, 2014 - Check cleared

April 21, 2014 - Biometrics done

May 7, 2014 - In line for interview

June 23, 2014 - Scheduled for interview

July 28, 2014 - Interview - PASSED!!

July 30, 2014 - In line for oath

July 31, 2014 - Scheduled for oath

Aug 2, 2014 - Oath letter received

Aug 27, 2014 - Oath ceremony, I am a US citizen!!!

Sep 11, 2014 - US passport received

• 2 months later...

Well finally got around to sending in the I-130 on the 7th Sept and got the NOA1 2 days later.

Looking to move this time next year so hopefully everything goes well.

Any quick advice on what we can do now to be prepared for the latter stages?

Thanks in advance

Sorry couldn't find where to edit my last post hence this one!

I read this entire thread today and one of the earlier posters had a link to 'packet 3' however this link no longer seems to work. Does anyone know where I can get a link that does work? Finally Christi85 you mentioned the wikipages are very useful, where exactly should I be looking when I click int them?

• 3 weeks later...

I would just like to ask something... My husband filed my petition last 9th September 2011 (DCF London) until now we have not receive any notification via post, only an email from the embassy saying that they received the petition and that not everybody would have a case number assigned to them, etc. they just send us a link that shows what date are they processing right now ( I just checked it... as of 6 Oct 2011, they are currently processing 20th July 2011). I've just check our credit card statement and it did show that the visa fee that we paid last 9th Sept.

So my question is... should I call them to demand at least a hard copy of the notification (and possibly a case number assigned to us)? or a notification via email is enough and just wait for the 2nd part of the petition. We wanted to transfer to the US before 13 July 2012 as my visa in the UK would expire that time and we don't want to renew i anymore.

Thanks so much in advance whoever would answer it :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Greece
Timeline

I would just like to ask something... My husband filed my petition last 9th September 2011 (DCF London) until now we have not receive any notification via post, only an email from the embassy saying that they received the petition and that not everybody would have a case number assigned to them, etc. they just send us a link that shows what date are they processing right now ( I just checked it... as of 6 Oct 2011, they are currently processing 20th July 2011). I've just check our credit card statement and it did show that the visa fee that we paid last 9th Sept.

So my question is... should I call them to demand at least a hard copy of the notification (and possibly a case number assigned to us)? or a notification via email is enough and just wait for the 2nd part of the petition. We wanted to transfer to the US before 13 July 2012 as my visa in the UK would expire that time and we don't want to renew i anymore.

Thanks so much in advance whoever would answer it :)

The email they sent you IS the notification that they've received your petition and that it's in the queue to get processed. Further proof is that they have cashed out your payment.

You are not going to receive any other notification in the mail at this stage, and case numbers are not assigned on this phase.

Once your petition has made it to the processing desk and someone has looked at it, you will get a letter in the mail saying either that your I-130 is approved or that they need further evidence before they can approve it.

Once approved, your petition gets sent to the Visa Department in the Embassy and it is then that they issue you a case number (which may take up to 4 weeks to arrive in the mail and will arrive separately from the I-130 approval letter). After you have the case number in hand, you can schedule your medical, send in the required documents for the second phase, and get in the queue again to be scheduled in for the interview.

I hope this clarifies things.

RyanNI - sorry, I just realized I never answered your question. I meant the DCF wiki pages here on VJ, but they are quite general about DCF and not London-specific. Some further info can be found on the "Embassy Info" tab on the navigation bar (search for United Kingdom).

For more specific info on the London Embassy, here's another forum you could check: http://britishexpats.com/forum/

There you can also find specific info on doing DCF via London.

My CR1 timeline (DCF London):
June 26, 2010 - civil wedding
Aug 2, 2010 - I-130 package mailed to the London Consulate (DCF)
Aug 9, 2010 - NOA1 (confirmation of receipt) via email
Sep 4, 2010 - religious wedding
Oct 21, 2010 - NOA2
Nov 25, 2010 - Case number received in the mail
Nov 29, 2010 - Medical
Dec 1, 2010 - DS-230I & DS-2001 forms mailed back
Feb 1, 2011 - Interview - APPROVED!!!
Feb 7, 2011 - Passport with Visa received via courier
June 7, 2011 - POE Los Angeles (LAX)
June 18, 2011 - 2-Year Green card received in the mail!!!

My ROC journey:
April 2, 2013 - I-751 package mailed to California Service Center

April 3, 2013 - NOA1 date
April 8, 2013 - check cleared
May 6, 2013 - Biometrics completed

July 25, 2013 - 10 year green card APPROVED!! (notification via text and email, and website updated)

July 29, 2013 - ROC approval letter received in the mail

July 31, 2013 - 10 year green card received in the mail!!!

My N-400 journey:

March 19, 2014 - N-400 package mailed to Phoenix, AZ Lockbox

March 24, 2014 - NOA1 date and Priority Date

March 27, 2014 - Check cleared

April 21, 2014 - Biometrics done

May 7, 2014 - In line for interview

June 23, 2014 - Scheduled for interview

July 28, 2014 - Interview - PASSED!!

July 30, 2014 - In line for oath

July 31, 2014 - Scheduled for oath

Aug 2, 2014 - Oath letter received

Aug 27, 2014 - Oath ceremony, I am a US citizen!!!

Sep 11, 2014 - US passport received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I have a quick question--

My husband and I plan on moving back to the US in 2012-- we have started the process and his medical is in 2 weeks time.

I am using my father as a co-sponsor due to the fact I am domiciled in the UK and I do not meet the monetary requirements. I have all the relevant information from my father (tax forms, w2's, offical copy of birth certificate, pay slips).

So here's the question: How interested do you imagine they will be in my tax forms? I filed my taxes late due to the fact I didn't realize I had to file while living abroad and working for a foreign company. In a couple weeks I'm sending out for my transcripts, since my taxes should be processed by then. But I imagine I'd be small potatoes to them since my income will immediately end as soon as I leave the UK.

Any input would be greatly appreciated! (As you can imagine I'm incredibly anxious that all goes as smoothly as possible)

So here's the question: How interested do you imagine they will be in my tax forms? I filed my taxes late due to the fact I didn't realize I had to file while living abroad and working for a foreign company. In a couple weeks I'm sending out for my transcripts, since my taxes should be processed by then. But I imagine I'd be small potatoes to them since my income will immediately end as soon as I leave the UK.

I had a similar situation, they gave most scrutiny to the co sponsors details, but they did still need all the forms my wife had filed through her time in the UK. If not for the tax/income issue then it shows that you maintained links to the US while you were out of the country.

Side note... wow they've made this a long process. 13 month application period?

I just wanted to jump in and say hi.

I'm German but living in the UK because my husband is stationed here with the US Air Force and so we start filing for the DCF here in London very soon.

Reading all this is kinda confusing for me at this moment :lol:

IR1/CR1 Visa - DCF at London Embassy

April 16, 2013: Mailed out I-130

April 18, 2013: Date Petition filed
May 13, 2013: APPROVED!
May 22, 2013: Case Number received
June 3, 2013: Mailed out DS-230 & DS-2001
June 4, 2013: Medical Exam at Bentick Mansion
Unfortunately I have to re-do it in 6 + weeks as I was diagnosed with pneumonia
June 22, 2013 I traveled to the USA with the plan of returning to the UK, spoke to a Immigration lawyer and he told me to change my status and go the AOS route.
Since 2014 I am a permanent resident.

• 2 months later...

hello. just want to ask some questions again... thanks in advance to those who would answer :)

i now have my case number and was asked to submit ds-230 part 1 & 2, notification for application readiness, and medical (plus police certificate that i need present to the physician) any other documents that i need to submit aside from those mentioned above? is there any fee/s that we have to pay (aside from the medical fee)?

many thanks in advance :)

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi - we are new to this forum/site, having been recommended by friends of ours who were in similar position and used this site to help them get the answers and support they needed. From what i can tell filing a DCF from the UK could be our best bet but as yet we aren't married but plan to wed this summer/autumn, does anyone know if we need be married for a certain amount of time before filing? We have been engaged 3 years now (i know I know!!!) and have 2 children together (6 n 4) and I have had UK residency for over 4 or 5 years now (my partner is British). My other question is that our children have no immunisation shots and we would prefer not to get them any, is this a requirement?

Thanks in advance for your time and energy if you would like to help.

Carrie x

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Hi - we are new to this forum/site, having been recommended by friends of ours who were in similar position and used this site to help them get the answers and support they needed. From what i can tell filing a DCF from the UK could be our best bet but as yet we aren't married but plan to wed this summer/autumn, does anyone know if we need be married for a certain amount of time before filing? We have been engaged 3 years now (i know I know!!!) and have 2 children together (6 n 4) and I have had UK residency for over 4 or 5 years now (my partner is British). My other question is that our children have no immunisation shots and we would prefer not to get them any, is this a requirement?

Thanks in advance for your time and energy if you would like to help.

Carrie x

Hi Carrie,

You do not need to be married for any specific length of time to file DCF. When you send in your I-130 you will send in copies of your visa(s) with the petition to prove your UK residency. At the interview stage you will also have to prove your intent to reestablish domicile in the US-- have you thought of a good joint sponsor?

I don't believe your children will need to be immunized to move to the US since they're eligible for US citizenship through you (do they have US passports?). Your spouse will need to be immunized though as he is a foreign citizen (probably MMR jab & Tetanus).

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi Carrie,

You do not need to be married for any specific length of time to file DCF. When you send in your I-130 you will send in copies of your visa(s) with the petition to prove your UK residency. At the interview stage you will also have to prove your intent to reestablish domicile in the US-- have you thought of a good joint sponsor?

I don't believe your children will need to be immunized to move to the US since they're eligible for US citizenship through you (do they have US passports?). Your spouse will need to be immunized though as he is a foreign citizen (probably MMR jab & Tetanus).

Hi

Thanks so much for the info, we appreciate the help.

Hi there everyone,

My wife and I are going to start the process for a CR1/IR1 London DCF this week. All the I-130 stuff has been collected and is ready to be mailed. My question isn't really regarding this so much...it's actually more about the last part of the process.

I have been told by someone - that used this forum - that after the CR1/IR1 is issued you have 90 days to leave for the US?

Is this still true, because I have just read in the "Guides" that you have 6 months i.e closer to 180 days?

Or is this a variable that is determined by the embassy?

Many thanks.

G.

Edited by Keeto

IR1/CR1 Visa: - DCF at London Embassy:

20/02/2011 Engaged in London.
06/07/2011 Notification of marriage received from council.
02/09/2011 Happily married!
25/01/2012 I-130 Posted to London USCIS
31/01/2012 I-130 Sent back - fees have changed to $420 - updated the VJ DCF Wiki with the correct link.
Never received NOA 1
09/05/2012 NOA2 (127 Days)
15/05/2012 DS-230 posted
15/06/2012 Packet 3 received
15/06/2012 Medical booked
22/06/2012 Medical done
11/07/2012 Packet 3 sent
28/07/2012 Packet 4 received - interview 02/08/2012
02/08/2012 Verbal "RFE" at embassy
16/08/2012 CR-1 visa in hand
14/11/2012 POE Forth Worth/Dallas Texas - No harassment or questions.

Removal of Conditions:

22/07/2014 Started researching

05/08/2014 Received notice from USCIS (sent to wrong address, so much for keeping your address updated via their website...)

21/08/2014 Posting I-751 to VSC

30/08/2014 Cheque cashed

06/09/2014 NOA (I-797) received

24/09/2014 Biometrics appointment

17/02/2015 RFE dated 12/02/2015

19/05/2015 Letter received for new greencard dated 12/05/2015

22/05/2015 New greencard in hand

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I have been told by someone - that used this forum - that after the CR1/IR1 is issued you have 90 days to leave for the US?

Is this still true, because I have just read in the "Guides" that you have 6 months i.e closer to 180 days?

You have 6 months from the date the visa is issued to arrive in the USA.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.