luzhok

Congressional Intervention does not help

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

In my experience, our congressman was able to help during the processing of our waivers. AP wasn't very long(3 months), but a week after our Senator's inquiry Rome confirmed receipt of the waivers.

During our I-130 processing we experienced a very long delay for name check which resulted in 2.5 years processing time. This was 2003-2005 and at that time no one could do anything to help. Even the transfer of our approved file from Bloomington, MN office to the NVC took 2 years because some idiot kept it on his desk. I don't know if it was a souvenir or if he just wanted to torture us more. Not until my husband was taken into custody did we find out the real reason why our file hadn't made it to the NVC.

I do know an Egyptian family who came to the US on a skilled worker visa in 1999 and the only thing standing between them and their green cards was a 4 year old pending name check. They filed a writ of mandamus and won thus forcing USCIS to finally complete the checks. This could be an option your case, but I would definitely consult with a qualified lawyer to see if this is the right thing for you because it may not be.

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

No one can influence the security checks. If it has been a long time a congressman can make an inquiry but nothing can be done to speed them up.

Filing a writ of mandumas is expensive and time consuming but it does put the US in the position of having to make a decision on the case within a set amount of time. Note they must make a decision, not necessarily favorable to the filing party.

This is my experience. Senator did not help either.

Does anyone know of any other influential officials or organizations that can be utilized to expedite the AP? What immigration lawyers can do? Thank you.

AP name checks - which is hopefully what you are in not the "we doubt your relationship" AP --- have to take their course. Once all are checked, USCIS will allow the consulate to issue the visa. Keep calling the DOS every week or two. As Brenda said, your congressional rep can inquire every few months --- so they know you are still waiting.

It sucks, I know!!!!

Ann (spent 11 months in AP - after waiting 17 months for an interview)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
AP name checks - which is hopefully what you are in not the "we doubt your relationship" AP --- have to take their course. Once all are checked, USCIS will allow the consulate to issue the visa. Keep calling the DOS every week or two. As Brenda said, your congressional rep can inquire every few months --- so they know you are still waiting.

It sucks, I know!!!!

Ann (spent 11 months in AP - after waiting 17 months for an interview)

It does not seem as a name check. DOS told me "we don't know what the consulate is up to". If it was a name check somebody would mention it already. I've heard here that DOS can say if the case is under name check. :unsure:

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Congressional, Senators, none of that helps with consulate level inquiries. Yes they will eventually answer with some general letter they have already typed. All they do is change the Congress persons name, and case number/names, and issue something with a half way apology and assured decision in the near future. its generic! Ronald Mcdonald has just a much pull with the consulates. Dont believe the hype of "congressional inquires" These consulates know its just some assistant case worker for the congressional office, and that if the congressman really wanted to push he himself would make a phone call and get results. Since the most of us are nobodys, thats not gonna happen.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.