I-love-Dexter

Is any military guy or spouse here?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

Hi :)

I would really apreciate if anybody helped me with this:

we got married in US a few weeks ago and came back to Germany, because my husband is stationed here (Air Force). I went through K1, so we could get married in Las Vegas. I left US without AP-we didn't have 3 months time for that. Later when we will be going to move US, I will apply for a spouse visa.

The question is: I don't have EAD (only have K1 still valid). I am waiting for my command sponsorship papers. Am I eligible for work on a military base?

N-400 timeline (under sec. 319 b from overseas)

9/13/2010 - N-400 packet sent to Vermont

9/21/2010 - NOA

3/11/2011-after emailing Faifax Office: biometrics scheduled for 1 Apr, 2011 and interview date 6 Apr 2011

4/6/2011 - interview and oath ceremony

Hi :)

I would really apreciate if anybody helped me with this:

we got married in US a few weeks ago and came back to Germany, because my husband is stationed here (Air Force). I went through K1, so we could get married in Las Vegas. I left US without AP-we didn't have 3 months time for that. Later when we will be going to move US, I will apply for a spouse visa.

The question is: I don't have EAD (only have K1 still valid). I am waiting for my command sponsorship papers. Am I eligible for work on a military base?

Hi,

since you are a citizen of the country he is stationed in....why not? Also you are married to a US Citizen. On post here in Wuerzburg I could work as well. Contact the people on post for those information, since they know best about the rules. It varies from post to post though.

Greets Isabel

OUR TIMELINE

01/20/06...married

02/28/06...NOA1....I-130 VSC

May 2006..Medical in Frankfurt

06/14/06...I-130 approved via email [day 111]

06/19/06...NOA2....I-130 received via mail

07/10/06...talked to embassy to expedite the process

07/12/06...NVC stated case completed and sent to FRANKFURT[day 147]

07/17/06...received packet 3 from embassy

07/29/06...received packet 4

08/15/06...INTERVIEW at 7:30am- APPROVED

08/21/06...VISA received

08/23/06...Flight to US

08/23/06...I am back home

09/20/06...received greencard in mail

09/27/06...received SSC in Mail

09/23/07...our daughter was born :)

30/05/07...filed for Removal of Conditions

07/05/08...received NOA for I-751

01/07/08...college here I come :)

waiting for biometrics and Approval.....

usa1.gifKeith & IsabelgermanyWHT_rd30.gif

I've been stationed in Germany twice and I am still in the service. Actually, I think you may have a better shot at getting a job on the base as a foreign national rather than a command sponsored dependent. I know on most bases, preferences are given to the foreign nationals where job slots are concerned. Either way, you are still eligible to work on base.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Ok,..just to clear a few things up,...

Because you are NOT a US citizen, you will not be able to get a Federal Government job on base unless the job description indicates that people other than US citizens apply. There are not as many of those jobs as US citizen jobs, but they are there. Secondly, if you want to work for someeone like AAFES, you will be employed as a local national. And you will have to pay a seperate health insurance because of this. Technically, when you do this, you are not entitled to the benefits of on base medical, even though you are a US dependant. Some people I know are sneaky, and do not mention they work as Local nationals, just so they can attend the base medical clinic. The way the military sees it, is if you pay for medical , you can go off base, and claim it back, overall it saves the MILITARY $$. To avoid this, you can get a job, at a concessionaire on base, who are usually local people running it, and pay cash.

Thirdly,...

Local nationals are not preferred over US citizens for positions at AAFES and such. There is no preference. They tend to steer more towards the US citizens now though, because you get paid less as a US citizen,....IM not saying its not impossible, but it aint easy!! I had a friend here recently working as a LN, and was being restationed to another post here in Germany with her Husband. She knew there were jobs available in the same position she was doing at the new post, but the people did not want to re-hire her, becaue as the LN's leave, they wont replace them to save the $$... But she went to the union, and beat the system!!

I Have lived here in Germany for 2 1/2 years now, and thats the way its been the whole time Ive been here, and tends to be the same Germany wide at present. The Army here are on a cost cutting exercise, so if you manage to get your self a Job as a local national, they will enforce the use of the private medical that you pay for working as such,...I think it runs to the amount of about 20-30$ per pay for the medical insurance.

I do believe that if you get a job here then loose your job , as a local national , you are entitled to claim unemployment from the German government.

Also, if you have children, you can claim a benefit for having kids, I think its called Kindergeld.

Hope this helps a lil bit,..

JOdee

"When a man is educated, an individual is educated; when a woman is educated, a family and a country are educated."

— Mahatma Gandhi

The timeline... (Frankfurt) for the kids visas

10/22/2007 Filed I-130 x 2 in person + paid 710 USD (355 each )

10/22/2007 Filed DS-230 part 1 x 2

10/22/2007 Received the document checklist and FRN (case) numbers

12/18/2007 I-130 petition approved, but I didn't know. I was away at the time, didn't get confirmation letters til I got back from the states.

12/20/2007 Notice of Approval arrives in tha mail. According to the date received stamp on back of envelope at my post box.

Will now wait til hubby is back from Iraq to fax in checklist readiness, even though, I have been ready since day of lodging I-130's. all except medical.

02/18/2008 Faxed the "checklist" back to the consulate.

02/25/2008 Medicals completed.

02/25/2008 Appt letters in mail for appt on March 7th. Cant go due to prior military commitments. Emailed consulate and received an amended appt date of March 12th 2008.

03/12/2008 Visa interview - APPROVED x 2

03/27/2008 Visa's finally generated. I emailed the consulate. they apologised for the delay. They forgot to issue the visas after approval.

03/31/2008 Received visas

04/26/2008 Flying out of Frankfurt to next duty station on orders.

Ok,..just to clear a few things up,...

Thirdly,...

Local nationals are not preferred over US citizens for positions at AAFES and such. There is no preference.

JOdee

Ok, let me re-clear things up.

Not true, some countries have agreements that mandate hiring a certain percentage of foreign nationals. For these positions they do have a preference. This is done to keep those locals happy.

This is from federaljobs.net:

"When positions are filled locally overseas, U.S. citizens living abroad, dependents of citizens employed or stationed overseas, or foreign nationals, can be hired. Most countries have agreements with United States installations that require the hiring of local nationals whenever possible to bolster the local economy. All positions held by foreign nationals are in the Excepted Service. Excepted Service positions are not subject to OPM's competitive hiring requirements."

AAFES and most other base service positions are NAF positions. Some of those NAF positions are Excepted Service positions which means that preference IS given to foreign nations.

There always has been a foreign national preference. I've been in the military for over 16 years and spent 14 of that married. My ex-wife has had numerous jobs on base in several overseas locations. We've always known this.

I hope this helps.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Ok,..you obviously didnt read my post CLEARLY.

Germany is cost cutting,.. NAF jobs are not being filled as they are emptied. The area over here is seriously in debt, and one way of fixing this is by not filling NAF jobs. They are not filling many jobs at all at present with LN as they cost more to hire. I know all about the agreement at federaljobs.com, but that has been overridden at the moment with the cost cutting measures here in Germany. They even had to reduce numbers in theses jobs rcently, and people lost their jobs!!

I never said there was specific hiring requirements preventing people from getting the jobs,.....Its the lack of funding here, thats preventing the jobs to LN employees. I am living in Germany, where the original poster referrred to. This is the CURRENT situation, right here, right now!!

I respect the fact that you have been in the military 16 years,....my husband has been in 13. But it does not mean you know whats going on over here at present.

Jodee

"When a man is educated, an individual is educated; when a woman is educated, a family and a country are educated."

— Mahatma Gandhi

The timeline... (Frankfurt) for the kids visas

10/22/2007 Filed I-130 x 2 in person + paid 710 USD (355 each )

10/22/2007 Filed DS-230 part 1 x 2

10/22/2007 Received the document checklist and FRN (case) numbers

12/18/2007 I-130 petition approved, but I didn't know. I was away at the time, didn't get confirmation letters til I got back from the states.

12/20/2007 Notice of Approval arrives in tha mail. According to the date received stamp on back of envelope at my post box.

Will now wait til hubby is back from Iraq to fax in checklist readiness, even though, I have been ready since day of lodging I-130's. all except medical.

02/18/2008 Faxed the "checklist" back to the consulate.

02/25/2008 Medicals completed.

02/25/2008 Appt letters in mail for appt on March 7th. Cant go due to prior military commitments. Emailed consulate and received an amended appt date of March 12th 2008.

03/12/2008 Visa interview - APPROVED x 2

03/27/2008 Visa's finally generated. I emailed the consulate. they apologised for the delay. They forgot to issue the visas after approval.

03/31/2008 Received visas

04/26/2008 Flying out of Frankfurt to next duty station on orders.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

My hubby and I are getting stationed in Germany in two weeks. I am a German citizen with a Greencard and I was told I CANNOT work on post for the PX or commissary or anything like that unless I am a US citizen. I know though that there are Germans working for the US Army but those are usually construction jobs or housing jobs etc.

Stefanie

K-1

07-12-2004 NOA1

12-13-2004 Approved

AOS

05-25-2005 NOA1

09-20-2005 Approved

I-751

07-25-2007 NOA1

12-02-2009 Approved

N-400

05-11-2010 NOA

07-29-2010 Interview + Oath Ceremony

Timeline

Thank you everyone for help :) I really appreciate

I've just changed the description under my profile to indicate that Germany is only my current location, my citizenship is Polish. I can be hired in Germany for 4 months for jobs like:waitress, bartender, kitchen help etc., so maybe I could be also hired on base as foreign national (local ?).

What I count for though, is employment based on the command sposorship. I am well educated-master's degree in economics, I speak 2 foreign languages-English and German, and I have a lot of experience in jobs like:saleswoman, waitress, bakery assistant, kitchenhelp...even from the US.

On the AAFES website is said:"all the aplicants must have SSN and show eligibility for work in the US". Will I be eligible for work as a command sponsorship dependant, but without a green card and EAD stamp?

It is difficult to get a job on base. I know many military wives US citizens that have been loking for a job and still nothing. But they won't take a job on evenings or weekends, because they want to spend that time with their husbands.

:)

9/21/2010 - NOA

3/11/2011-after emailing Faifax Office: biometrics scheduled for 1 Apr, 2011 and interview date 6 Apr 2011

Thank you everyone for help :) I really appreciate

I've just changed the description under my profile to indicate that Germany is only my current location, my citizenship is Polish. I can be hired in Germany for 4 months for jobs like:waitress, bartender, kitchen help etc., so maybe I could be also hired on base as foreign national (local ?).

What I count for though, is employment based on the command sposorship. I am well educated-master's degree in economics, I speak 2 foreign languages-English and German, and I have a lot of experience in jobs like:saleswoman, waitress, bakery assistant, kitchenhelp...even from the US.

On the AAFES website is said:"all the aplicants must have SSN and show eligibility for work in the US". Will I be eligible for work as a command sponsorship dependant, but without a green card and EAD stamp?

It is difficult to get a job on base. I know many military wives US citizens that have been loking for a job and still nothing. But they won't take a job on evenings or weekends, because they want to spend that time with their husbands.

Agnes, are you going to be at Spangdahlem or Ramstein? I know of know Air Force cost cutting measures on base. I'm sure in due time you'll be able to find work on base.

Timeline

Spangdahlem

greetings (F)

9/21/2010 - NOA

Spangdahlem

greetings (F)

Agnes,

You'll enjoy it. I was stationed at Spangdahlem in 2000-2001. It was assignment to Germany...both were in the Rheinland Pfalz (Zweibrucken was the other in 1990). If you want any info, send me a message and I'll give you the scoop. I lived in Bitburg right next to the Bitburger brewery. On a nice summer day, you could smell the wort from the brewery. I miss that place.

My hubby and I are getting stationed in Germany in two weeks. I am a German citizen with a Greencard and I was told I CANNOT work on post for the PX or commissary or anything like that unless I am a US citizen. I know though that there are Germans working for the US Army but those are usually construction jobs or housing jobs etc.

Stefanie

Thats odd, maybe it is different for the Army, but my soon to be ex-wife is Navy and I was able to work in the commisary, nex etc?

Randomly matched up by a computer as penpals at eleven years old in French Language class (1988)

Letters/Emails/Phonecalls continue for the next 16 years.

Kerri Visits England for a month 25/05/04

We get engaged following a wonderful weekend trip to Brussels as a birthday treat for Kerri.

K1 Petition Received by Nebraska 17/07/04

[10/01/05 Interview in London. Success - K1 Visa Aproved!

28/01/05 Kerri & I get married!!

20/04/05 Mail out AOS & EAD forms 1 day before due!!

07/07/05 EAD Received but returned for incorrect DOB!!

31/08/05 Hurricane Katrina Rolls into New Orleans, we pack up and evacuate to Cordova TNcolor]

25/11/05 Corrected EAD finally received after being mailed to New Orleans the day after Katrina

20/12/05 AOS Approved without interview after transfer to California.

28/04/06 I head back to England for 3 to 4 months whilst my wife completes a training shcool.

07/05/05 Things are looking up!! I get a well paid job. Ive started my driving lessons1

29/05/06 My Wife tells me she is not ready to be married and wants a divorce.

18/06/05 My wife officially starts divorce proceedings.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.