zainab786

Can I file divorce n VAWA together?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hey all.. precisely I went to US in K1 visa got married but things turned out to b worst.. n ma husband threateningly and fraudulently forced n dropped me back here home in ma homeland. Anyways.. da question is dat now as I am in ma country ..Can I file for divorce n VAWA togetha? I ve already wasted years in compromising for this one way relation.. I dun want to waste ma time more!! da otha thing is dat as I forcefully came her I didn bring anything wid me.. neitha any certificate nor any prove of accounts n all.. stil i had few things in purse which can show our relation but no prove of abusing there in US..? in dat case how should i move ma case further to make it strong?

Filed: Other Timeline

I had file papers for adjustment of status but it was in process.. I didn't get any reply till I left even SSN card was in process too!!

I was in US for about 5 months

I am out of US since 26 days

The years wasted I am talking about is actually courtship period which was 2 years.

Did you adjust status?

How long were you in the US?

How long have you been out of the US?

Filed: Country:
Timeline

Sorry, if you left the US before the AOS was approved and without having received AP (Advance Parole) then your AOS is considered abandoned. You have no legal status to return to the US.

I doubt you can file VAWA from outside the country.

Sorry, if you left the US before the AOS was approved and without having received AP (Advance Parole) then your AOS is considered abandoned. You have no legal status to return to the US.

I doubt you can file VAWA from outside the country.

You can file for VAWA from outside the country, as long as you can prove that the abuse occured inside the US.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
You can file for VAWA from outside the country, as long as you can prove that the abuse occured inside the US.

Yep! :thumbs:

Zainab, I think I see what you're asking. You can file for VAWA and divorce at the same time. Normally, a VAWA case requires that you are still married to the abusive spouse. It only becomes complicated if your divorce is granted before you file your VAWA petition. In that event, the divorce would have to be within two years of the filing of the VAWA petition, and you would have to prove that the divorce was caused by the abuse, or that the abuse was directly related to the cause for the divorce.

As far as filing for divorce and VAWA "together" - If you mean sending both petitions to USCIS, then the answer is "no". USCIS does not grant divorces. This is up to the family courts in each state.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Timeline
Hey all.. precisely I went to US in K1 visa got married but things turned out to b worst.. n ma husband threateningly and fraudulently forced n dropped me back here home in ma homeland. Anyways.. da question is dat now as I am in ma country ..Can I file for divorce n VAWA togetha? I ve already wasted years in compromising for this one way relation.. I dun want to waste ma time more!! da otha thing is dat as I forcefully came her I didn bring anything wid me.. neitha any certificate nor any prove of accounts n all.. stil i had few things in purse which can show our relation but no prove of abusing there in US..? in dat case how should i move ma case further to make it strong?

If you arrived on a K-1 and have only been in the USA a period of 5 months, and are now back in Pakistan, of what value is the VAWA petition? Why would you want to/ or consider returning to the USA ?

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.