RalphandHanh

CR1 or K3

20 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
can someone tell me the difference from CR1 and K3. I'm living here now and I was going to do a DCF but I was told that that might not be good. Meeting with a lawyer here next week but I want to know the difference before hand. Thanks

If your husband is living there with you, and you can do DCF (he has to be living in Vietnam as a permanent resident for about 6 months, usually) then your visa will be CR1.

You can not get a K3 through DCF.

CR1 is the best choice nowadays. K3 is considered obsolete.

Good luck!

CR-1 Journey - California Service Center

I-130 timeline:
I-130 NOA1 - 05th Nov, 2009
I-130 NOA2 - 10th February, 2010 Yay!!!!
"Your I-130 was approved in 97 days from your NOA1 date."

NVC Journey:
02-16-2010: NVC Case # Assigned
03-31-2010: Case Complete!!
04-12-2010: Interview date assigned by NVC.
05-11-2010: Medical appointment in Rio

05-13-2010: Interview in Rio - APPROVED!!!

06-02-2010: POE in Washington DC - Finally home!

July 30, 2010 - Received the Green Card after receiving 4 welcome letters! USCIS see ya later!

2 YEARS LATER......

03-02-2012: Elegible to lift conditions
06-02-2012: Temporary GC expires

12-20-2012: Permanent GC received

6 MONTHS LATER......

06/03/2013: n400 Filled

10/22/2013: Citizenship test and oath ceremony

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline
If your husband is living there with you, and you can do DCF (he has to be living in Vietnam as a permanent resident for about 6 months, usually) then your visa will be CR1.

You can not get a K3 through DCF.

CR1 is the best choice nowadays. K3 is considered obsolete.

Good luck!

I am the husband :whistle: been here for 6 months. And you can get permanent residency right after you get married here now. They changed the law.

Again... my question is - what is the Difference between the two. Thanks.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

K3 is almost the same as a K1 visa except she's your spouse instead of fiance. She will need to go through AOS when she arrive in the US with a K3 visa. CR-1, you don't have to do anything when she comes because its all been handled at NVC when you went through the process. K3 visa is like the K1, you skip the NVC process. As soon as you receive NOA2 from USCIS, your file will go straight to HCM when doing the K3. With CR-1, your file will go to NVC and you will have to fill out the I-864 and DS-230 and all the other good stuff.

Overall, people only use K3 in the past when CR-1 took almost 1.5 years to complete. Now that CR-1 speed up, K3 is not wise to do. K-3 will cost you more in the long run and more hassle to deal with.

Visa Journey

CR-1 Visa Journey

11/07/08 ............Married

02/13/09 ............I-130 sent

02/16/09 ............I-130 delivered

02/23/09.............NOA1

02/24/09.............Touched

02/28/09............ NOA1 Hard Copy

03/25/09.............NOA2

03/30/09.............NOA2 Hard Copy

NVC Journey

04/15/09.............Case # Assigned

04/17/09.............DS-3032 and AOS bill generated

04/17/09.............DS-3032 sent (email+mail)

04/17/09.............AOS PAID (online)

04/20/09.............AOS package sent

04/20/09.............DS-3032 accepted

04/22/09.............IV Fee bill generated

04/22/09.............IV bill PAID (online)

04/27/09.............DS-230 sent to NVC

04/30/09.............Case under Final Review

05/07/09.............RFE (Ques 20 DS-230)

05/09/09.............Resend DS-230

05/13/09.............DS-230 Received and Under Review

05/20/09.............Case complete at NVC

Embassy Journey

06-08-09.............Case Arrived at Embassy in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

06-22-09.............Medical Exam

07-29-09.............Visa Interview

07-29-09.............Visa Approved

08-05-09.............Visa in Hand

08-24-09.............POE - (San Francisco, California)

09-04-09.............Green Card Arrived in Mail

12-04-09.............SSN Card Arrived in Mail

.png

Timeline
K3 is almost the same as a K1 visa except she's your spouse instead of fiance. She will need to go through AOS when she arrive in the US with a K3 visa. CR-1, you don't have to do anything when she comes because its all been handled at NVC when you went through the process. K3 visa is like the K1, you skip the NVC process. As soon as you receive NOA2 from USCIS, your file will go straight to HCM when doing the K3. With CR-1, your file will go to NVC and you will have to fill out the I-864 and DS-230 and all the other good stuff.

Overall, people only use K3 in the past when CR-1 took almost 1.5 years to complete. Now that CR-1 speed up, K3 is not wise to do. K-3 will cost you more in the long run and more hassle to deal with.

now that's what I'm talkin 'bout. Good info. Thanks Kevin.

Timeline

DCF is just filing the CR1 at the consulate. That's what you want to do whether it's filing at HCMC or mailing it to the US.

How's things there? What law changed?

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

why did someone tell you dcf is not good? it's actually the fastest to get the visa from start of filing to getting the visa. it only takes 3-5 months. the requirement is that you must show proof of living in Vietnam for a certain period of time. when you file, you file at the office in Diamond Plaza and then they will automatically forward it to the Consulate down the street. All the papers stays in Vietnam and bypass the NVC center. I wanted to do it when I was living in Vietnam but I file the I-130 in the united states before I left for Vietnam. One guy I know of on here, his screen name is "Konton", had success with DCF and I believe his wife received her visa 4 months after filing. It seemed like it went pretty smooth for him. Either K1, CR1 or DCF visa, I think this time your wife will get the visa for sure since you have been working and living there with her for a long period of time now.

mrc2pmh1445.gif

Timeline
DCF is just filing the CR1 at the consulate. That's what you want to do whether it's filing at HCMC or mailing it to the US.

How's things there? What law changed?

Things are really good here. We are having a great time together. The new law... maybe its not so new but when you get married to a Vietnamese you get permanent residency right away. Just takes a few days for the paperwork to go through.

Timeline
why did someone tell you dcf is not good? it's actually the fastest to get the visa from start of filing to getting the visa. it only takes 3-5 months. the requirement is that you must show proof of living in Vietnam for a certain period of time. when you file, you file at the office in Diamond Plaza and then they will automatically forward it to the Consulate down the street. All the papers stays in Vietnam and bypass the NVC center. I wanted to do it when I was living in Vietnam but I file the I-130 in the united states before I left for Vietnam. One guy I know of on here, his screen name is "Konton", had success with DCF and I believe his wife received her visa 4 months after filing. It seemed like it went pretty smooth for him. Either K1, CR1 or DCF visa, I think this time your wife will get the visa for sure since you have been working and living there with her for a long period of time now.

Here is info that I got from a Very good source:

USCIS here has started requiring proof that you

are allowed to live here. That could be residency

or something else.

But that is a double-edged sword.

If you show residency here for USCIS,

how can you show "domicile" in the US

for the consulate.

I'm confused... so I'm going to talk to a the lawyer here. I would like to do DCF... but not if it risks another blue or white or green or yellow or purple etc etc

Timeline

Check out this I-864 FAQ that talks about domicile among other things. >>> http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/in....html#_Domicile

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

My recommendation for you to show domicile in the US would be to come back and rent a place out--maybe you know someone who owns a home and owes you a favor?

There was a previous discussion about this... The petitioner ended up moving back to his parent's and "renting" out a room. There was some questions about the support/co-sponsor, but reading that link anh_map posted, this looks like it may have cause problems?!

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

GENERAL INFO

[*]12-xx-2007 - 1st Trip (6wks) & Met him halfway around the world

[*]03-xx-2008 - Got engaged - two people on opposite sides of the world

[*]05-xx-2008 - 2nd Trip (2wks) - Engagement/Marriage/Consummation

[*]06-12-2008 - Filed I-130 (CR-1) with Vermont Service Center

[*]12-xx-2008 - 3rd Trip (4wks)

[*]06-05-2009 - Interview at 9:00am at HCMC Consulate (result: blue)

[*]07-08-2009 - Submitted RFE: Beneficiary's Relatives & Evidence of Relationship

[*]08-xx-2009 - 4th Trip (4wks)

[*]10-07-2009 - AP 91 days - Result: APPROVED!!

[*]10-31-2009 - POE: Detroit, MI

[*]11-18-2009 - Social Security Card

[*]11-20-2009 - Green Card

[*]01-21-2010 - Driver's License

THE NEXT STEPS...

[*]02/07/2011 - Renew Vietnam Passport

[*]07/30/2011 - Process of Removing Conditions Begins

[*]09/25/2011 - Date of I-751

[*]09/28/2011 - NOA1

[*]10/19/2011 - Biometrics

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

When you file DCF, they require you show proof of INTENT to create domicile... They obviously understand the you are living over there and cannot have domicile in 2 places... To prove intent you will need to show financial ties (such as bank accounts in the USA, job contracts or other things) plus intent to move there upon issuance of the CR1 visa, this would be a lease on a home or apartment, enrollment in school, quotes from moving companys etc... This is generally how DCF process the domicile issue... Not sure if HCMC has a different set of standards. But you will definetly need to show rental of a place to live in the USA...

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Hi Ralph and Hanh - glad to hear you are both well. I feel really bad that we didn't make it back over to see you guys before we left. I really wanted some more fried pizza two. The both of you were so awesome to visit with and we enjoyed it very very much!!! We are hoping for the very best for the two of you on your next go! Looking forward to seeing you again some time!

6/15/2009 Filed I-129F

12/15/2009 Interview (HCMC, VN)

1/16/2010 POE Detroit

3/31/2010 MARRIED !!!

11/20/2010 Filed I-485

12/23/2010 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

12/31/2010 I-485 Transfered to CSC

2/4/2011 Green Card received

1/7/2013 Mailed I-751 package

1/14/2013 I-751 NOA (VSC)

2/07/2013 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
can someone tell me the difference from CR1 and K3. I'm living here now and I was going to do a DCF but I was told that that might not be good. Meeting with a lawyer here next week but I want to know the difference before hand. Thanks

K3 faster CR1 Easier the difference . k3 has been designated to allow the spouse enter usa while the uscis still process your case also vaild for 2 years

and you dont have to deal with the nation visa center once the uscis approve your petition they send it to the nvc for administration process then it will be forward to embassy .regarding CR1 once the usaic approve your petition they will forward yor file to the national visa center you will get letter from nvc choose of agent you have to file the form out and send it to nvc then you will have to pay 470 for IV AND AOS and wait between 30 to 40 days before the nvc complete all the actions on your case then they will forward your file to the american embassy . one more thing the embassy schedule apponitments for k3 applicants . nvc schedule appointments for cr1 applicants good luck

NOTE : it is all about some papers work you dont need a lawyer it is just waste they only apply on your behalf and waits the authority body to process the case to conculation good luck and after all your call if you want to hire a lawyer

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.