26 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Syria
Timeline

LA sucks , why would anyone want to voluntarily move there? :(

Timeline:

Sent in I-130 form: 01/29/09

Interview Date: 11/08/09 (APPROVED!)

Visa in Hand: 11/12/09

POE: 01/30/10 (!!!!) at JFK Airport in NYC... can't wait!

Got the green card maybe 8 weeks after 01/30/10...

TBC....

======================================================================

Does he want to return to LA because he knows people there or its the weather he likes? Perhaps when he saves up enough money both of you can visit LA where he used to live as a way for him to know that even though you are on an island, there are times when you can get away for a short vacation.

Hope all works out

Yes he talks with a friend there just about daily (like 1000 minutes a month, just on cell phone, not to mention the calls to/from our home number!)

When I bought his ticket to the US I included a trip to LA in July so at least he's going to go. I'll probably use our tax return and buy tickets for the rest of us, the younger two kids haven't been to Disneyland so would be an opportunity to do that.

enraptured - it's not that LA sucks - I have family there. I am just not fond of lots of people and living so close together. I like my 4 acres of land and my farm!!

VISA JOURNEY

USCIS Journey

02/23/09 ............I-130 sent

03/27/09.............NOA2

TOTAL 32 DAYS

NVC Journey

04/15/09.............Case # Assigned

07/10/09.............Interview assigned

TOTAL 105 DAYS

Embassy Journey

07/14/09.............Forward the case to Embassy in Dakar, Senegal

09/28/09.............Visa in Hand

TOTAL 80 DAYS

VISA GRAND TOTAL 217 DAYS

US CITIZENSHIP JOURNEY

Conditional Resident Journey

09/29/09.............POE New York PIECE OF CAKE!!!

10/27/09.............2 year Green card received

TOTAL 29 DAYS

Removal of Conditions Journey

07/18/11.............I-751 packet sent

03/23/12............10yr GC Received

TOTAL 249 DAYS

Naturalization Journey

07/03/12.............N-400 packet sent

07/23/12.............Resent N-400 packet (husband FORGOT check!)

08/23/12.............Biometrics done

09/12/12.............Interview letter received

10/16/12.............Interview scheduled

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

We also live on an island (off Florida coast), and my husband is also pretty tired of it. He would like to be in a bigger city and near any other Ghanaians.

However, we looked together at rental costs and taxes in a big city, the higher costs of insurance and all, as well as the greater competition for the jobs he would be able to do, and the bottom line, financially, convinced him it's better to stick it out here in our small town so we can save money in order to move back to Ghana in a few years. So, it might help to put a spreadsheet and statistics in front of him!

Every three months or so we go or he goes on a short trip to a big city to visit friends or just explore. It seems to help a lot. He also spends a lot of time chatting over Skype video with his friends from Ghana, so that helps, too.

Good luck!

--------------------------

Becoming a U.S. Citizen

2/15/10 Sent N-400 packet via Fedex to Lewisville TX

2/19/10 Received text message and email notification of application received, check cashed

2/27/10 Received biometrics appointment letter

3/19/10 Biometrics appointment

3/25/10 Received email notice that case will be sent for interview scheduling at local office

3/26/10 Received yellow letter asking to being more tax records/info to interview

3/27/10 Received interview letter (dated 3/24/10)

4/28/10 Interview appointment

6/5/10 Received oath letter (dated 6/1/10)

6/29/10 Oath ceremony date

We also live on an island (off Florida coast), and my husband is also pretty tired of it. He would like to be in a bigger city and near any other Ghanaians.

However, we looked together at rental costs and taxes in a big city, the higher costs of insurance and all, as well as the greater competition for the jobs he would be able to do, and the bottom line, financially, convinced him it's better to stick it out here in our small town so we can save money in order to move back to Ghana in a few years. So, it might help to put a spreadsheet and statistics in front of him!

Every three months or so we go or he goes on a short trip to a big city to visit friends or just explore. It seems to help a lot. He also spends a lot of time chatting over Skype video with his friends from Ghana, so that helps, too.

Good luck!

Thanks a&o. I'm making a better effort in getting to the city. Next month we're spending 2 days in Seattle. I also did make a spreadsheet (so funny you mention that) and decided we each need to save $10K to move so that if we have a hard time getting jobs we'll be ok. I figure it will take 5 years. I haven't presented to him yet, but will do soon. I maybe even sooner if we put tax refund in savings.

VISA JOURNEY

USCIS Journey

TOTAL 32 DAYS

NVC Journey

TOTAL 105 DAYS

Embassy Journey

TOTAL 80 DAYS

US CITIZENSHIP JOURNEY

TOTAL 29 DAYS

TOTAL 249 DAYS

Naturalization Journey

Timeline

...Thanks!! im doing so much better, my husbands been gone for almost two months, and I have to say im doing so much better, I do miss having someone in the home it gets lonely at times...but I dont miss him on the computer 24/7 never having time for me, talking with his friends but not talking to me hardly at all, cooking for him and never getting a thank u??? and taking most of his money to send back home or purchase phone time minutes. it sure would have been nice to give some money to pay household bills, guess he thought I could take care of that??? And just last week he calls and says hes wanting to come back?? No thanks Im fine just the way it is:)

Edited by Kathryn41
to remove quoted post requested by OP

K&L

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
...Thanks!! im doing so much better, my husbands been gone for almost two months, and I have to say im doing so much better, I do miss having someone in the home it gets lonely at times...but I dont miss him on the computer 24/7 never having time for me, talking with his friends but not talking to me hardly at all, cooking for him and never getting a thank u??? and taking most of his money to send back home or purchase phone time minutes. it sure would have been nice to give some money to pay household bills, guess he thought I could take care of that??? And just last week he calls and says hes wanting to come back?? No thanks Im fine just the way it is:)

Been there, done that. You echo a lot of words I have said. Glad you survived too!

My husband won't admit it but he is definitely suffering from SAD also some issues with isolation. He says Vitamin D does nothing for him so can't go that route any longer. While I wouldn't mind moving somewhere warmer, I have BIG issues with big cities - I like my isolated island.

The funny thing is I sent him an email 6 months before he got here and the TWO top issues that I told him I was concerned about: 1. Climate 2. Population

He understands that right now there is NO WAY we could relocate - money just isn't there, but he desperately wants to leave here and I adamently don't. Not sure what we're doing about it, but somewhere someone has to give.

I don't agree with people saying move. This journey is so long and the adjustment is long and very difficult. If one of you is not stable in a job, a home, and all that entails, it will be so much harder to make that adjustment.

I think your 5 year plans sounds like a good idea.

Edited by Kathryn41

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

I think your 5 year plans sounds like a good idea.

He agreed to the 5 year (or 20K in savings) plan :).

VISA JOURNEY

USCIS Journey

TOTAL 32 DAYS

NVC Journey

TOTAL 105 DAYS

Embassy Journey

TOTAL 80 DAYS

US CITIZENSHIP JOURNEY

TOTAL 29 DAYS

TOTAL 249 DAYS

Naturalization Journey

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

WhidbeyGirl, when was the last time your husband was in LA. That is not too far from me but LA living is not what it use to be...

He live in LA on Crenshaw for over 2 years.

K&L - I'm so sorry.

We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they help us develop endurance. And endurance develops strength of character, and character strengthens our confident hope of salvation. And this hope will not lead to disappointment. For we know how dearly God loves us...

CR-1

Service Center: California Service Center

Consulate Ghana

Marriage: 2008-10-25

I-130 Sent: 2009-05-02

I-130 NOA1: 2009-05-07

I-129F Sent: 2009-05-02

I-129F NOA1: 2009-05-07

I-129F NOA2: 2009-08-14

I-130 Approval: 2009-08-14

File rec'd @ NVC: 2009-08-26

Called NVC to get case #: 2009-08-28

1st email frm NVC: 2009-08-31

Rec'd & Paid AOS fees: 2009-08-31

AOS fees show PAID: 2009-09-02

DS-3020 sent: 2009-09-02

AOS Pack Sent: 2009-09-08

IV Bill Rec'd & Paid: 2009-09-15

IV fees show PAID: 2009-09-16

DS-230 cover page generated: 2009-09-15

DS-230 pack sent: 2009-09-18

Case complete: 2009-10-20

File 4warded 2 Embassy: 2010-04-16

Interview date: OCTOBER 19TH, 2010

Visa pick up date:

Leaving Ghana:

Pick up from airport:

Husband left there in March 2008. I haven't been to LA since the late 90's.

VISA JOURNEY

USCIS Journey

TOTAL 32 DAYS

NVC Journey

TOTAL 105 DAYS

Embassy Journey

TOTAL 80 DAYS

US CITIZENSHIP JOURNEY

TOTAL 29 DAYS

TOTAL 249 DAYS

Naturalization Journey

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.