mamaronga

Can spouse be Interpreter for AOS Interview?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Hello there!

I've been searching through the forums. I've found most people (out of few folks who've posted) to say that no, a spouse cannot be the interpreter for the potential beneficiary of a Green Card. However, 1) I've also heard from people that they have been the interpreter as the spouse and they got approved and 2) I have yet to read anything "official" from USCIS about whether or not the spouse can be the interpreter.

I am fluent in spanish, my spouse speaks some english but may not understand all questions.

Do you think we can just wing it and go in without an interpreter

The thing is, the interview is in a far away city where I don't know anyone who speaks spanish, and we wouldn't be able to afford to contract an interpreter I'm sure, even if we could find one!

our interview is in less than 1 week, PLEASE HELP! please share with me your experience...

anyone else out there have a fine experience helping to interpret for their spouse?? Or does USCIS turn away couples who don't bring a third-party interpreter?

THANKS!

Claire

Dec. 15, 2008- I-129F mailed in

Dec. 18, 2008- Received by VSC

Dec. 18, 2008- NOA1 issued by VSC

Dec. 23, 3008- Touched

Dec. 24, 2008- NOA1 received in mail

Apr. 9, 2009- NOA2 issued by VSC

Jan. 1, 2009- Fiances re-united! :)

.... (need to find data)

Aug. 17, 2009 POE in Miami

Oct. 30, 2009 Submitted AOS

Dec. 18, 2009 Email about approval of Advance Parole and issuance of EAD

Jan. 14, 2010 AOS interview and approval

Jan. 21, 2010 (approximately!) Green Card received in the mail

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

When my husband and I went for our AOS interview in Denver there was a Spanish/English couple who interviewed just before us. The beneficiary husband did not speak much English and was forced to go out into the waiting room by the IO and ask random strangers if they would be willing to interpret for him. It took him several minutes and a couple dozen people before he was able to find someone to agree. I'm not sure if his wife was not very well versed in Spanish or if the IO refused to let her interpret for her husband. Unfortunately part of the AOS interview process includes determining how well you know each other and thus, the validity of the marriage. If you were to interpret for your wife, you could easily alter her answers in order to make them comply with the information that may be on the AOS paperwork. I suppose it is possible they would let you interpret, but there is also a possibility the IO will see it as a conflict of interest and refuse you that right. If that happens you may find yourself in a bad situation. It would be a shame to be turned away and asked to return for another interview date after waiting this long for the first one! Good luck :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Hello,

Yes, it says on the Interview Letter, if u do not speak English you need to bring interpreter with you. it doesnt say ur Spouse can Translate to you, But Wait. this Depends at the IO. <Immigration Officer> sometimes u will find a nice one who can accept ur Spouse to interpret to you and sometimes No u cant. as i said it depends. But if i am in ur shoes i will find me a interpreter for my Interview, By the way, The Inteview will not be that hard ,, u will be asked about ur Application u send Like what u wrote there, ur address Yes and No. and about urself ur spouse. thats all about..

So dont worry but for peace of mind Take an interpreter with you. . better than to send you home with REF,

so dont worry u will be just find :)

بســــم اللـــــه الــــرحمـن الــــرحــــيم

My N-400 timeline, I hope it will help - Local Office (Chula Vista Field Office - San Diego)

10/01/2010: Application was sent.

10/04/2010: Application was received.

10/06/2010: Email received "Application has been received" & Noticed Date.

10/07/2010: "Touch"

10/08/2010: "Touch" & Check was Cashed

10/09/2010: NOA1 Received via mail.

10/22/2010: Status Changed Online "Request for evidence" It was for Biometrics.

10/25/2010: Request for evidence recieved "Biometrics Notice".

11/18/2010: Biometrics date ==> 11:00AM. Biometrics was taken On time.

12/03/2010: "Yellow Letter" Received.

12/06/2010: "Touch" Case Moved to "Testing and Interview".

12/08/2010: Interview Letter received via mail.

01/13/2011: Interview Date. Done, " Thanks To ALLAH, I Passed the Test.

01/18/2011: Oath Letter was Sent.

01/20/2011: Oath Letter Recieved via mail.

01/28/2011: Oath Date. ==> Done, I am a U.S. Citizen

01/31/2011: Applied for a U.S. Passport Book, And, U.S. Passport Card.

02/25/2011: Passport Book's Received.

02/26/2011: Passport Card's Received.

02/28/2011: Certificate Of Naturalization's Returned.

Game Over.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Yes, it says on the Interview Letter, if u do not speak English you need to bring interpreter with you. it doesnt say ur Spouse can Translate to you, But Wait. this Depends at the IO. <Immigration Officer> sometimes u will find a nice one who can accept ur Spouse to interpret to you and sometimes No u cant. as i said it depends. But if i am in ur shoes i will find me a interpreter for my Interview, By the way, The Inteview will not be that hard ,, u will be asked about ur Application u send Like what u wrote there, ur address Yes and No. and about urself ur spouse. thats all about..

So dont worry but for peace of mind Take an interpreter with you. . better than to send you home with REF,

so dont worry u will be just find :)

The only part of this post that should be heeded at all is the recommendation to find an interpreter. The rest is not credible, and anyone who accepted it as gospel could end up in big trouble, rather than "just find."

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Hi all, thanks for your responses!

Okay, so, looks like we need a 3rd party interpreter to be on hand in case they don't let me as his spouse interpret for him.

BUT, does it need to be any kind of special "certified" interpreter, or just anyone who is confident in thier bi-lingual abilities?

Judging from what you all say, just anyone who is bi-lingual can do the job, it doesn't have to be a professional (they forced him to ask around in the waiting room for an interpreter? that's so annoying!)

I hope that we can find a friend to do it rather than pay some profession $100 for a half hour...! can't really spend more $ on this process...

THANKS!

Claire

Dec. 15, 2008- I-129F mailed in

Dec. 18, 2008- Received by VSC

Dec. 18, 2008- NOA1 issued by VSC

Dec. 23, 3008- Touched

Dec. 24, 2008- NOA1 received in mail

Apr. 9, 2009- NOA2 issued by VSC

Jan. 1, 2009- Fiances re-united! :)

.... (need to find data)

Aug. 17, 2009 POE in Miami

Oct. 30, 2009 Submitted AOS

Dec. 18, 2009 Email about approval of Advance Parole and issuance of EAD

Jan. 14, 2010 AOS interview and approval

Jan. 21, 2010 (approximately!) Green Card received in the mail

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.