masteryfic

how will the uscis know if you work in the US?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

may i know how will the uscis know that you work beforeyou get an EAD?

Event Date

Meet Online : October 2005

First Visit : June 2007

Second Visit : End of December 2007 - January 2008

Engaged : December 29, 2007 (inside the airport car waaaa!!)

Third Visit : March 2009

I-129F Sent : April 22, 2009

I-129F NOA1 : May 14, 2009

I-129F NOA2 : August 14, 2009

NOA2 letter recd: August 20, 2009

NVC left : August 25, 2009

NVC letter recd: August 26, 2009

Consulate recd: unknown

Packet 3 : no packet 3

Medical : Sept. 14 - 15, 2009 - passed

Interview: Sept. 23, 2009 - Approved! yay thank you lord

POE : California - October 22, 2009 with my sweetie!

You require a social security number...and it you have yours already it is marked "not valid for work without DHS authorizaton. If you do go to work, then they would require you SS number, and would remit taxes on your behalf. If you decided to work "off the books" so to speak then you risk the chance of being deported and its really not worth taking the risk. Hope that helps.

Wisconsin Hunter & A Canadian Beaver

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
You require a social security number...and it you have yours already it is marked "not valid for work without DHS authorizaton. If you do go to work, then they would require you SS number, and would remit taxes on your behalf. If you decided to work "off the books" so to speak then you risk the chance of being deported and its really not worth taking the risk. Hope that helps.

If you gave your social security number to your employer then it's possible that the immigration knows. If you worked "under the table" then it's hard for them to find out.

CR-1 Journey - California Service Center

I-130 timeline:
I-130 NOA1 - 05th Nov, 2009
I-130 NOA2 - 10th February, 2010 Yay!!!!
"Your I-130 was approved in 97 days from your NOA1 date."

NVC Journey:
02-16-2010: NVC Case # Assigned
03-31-2010: Case Complete!!
04-12-2010: Interview date assigned by NVC.
05-11-2010: Medical appointment in Rio

05-13-2010: Interview in Rio - APPROVED!!!

06-02-2010: POE in Washington DC - Finally home!

July 30, 2010 - Received the Green Card after receiving 4 welcome letters! USCIS see ya later!

2 YEARS LATER......

03-02-2012: Elegible to lift conditions
06-02-2012: Temporary GC expires

12-20-2012: Permanent GC received

6 MONTHS LATER......

06/03/2013: n400 Filled

10/22/2013: Citizenship test and oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

USCIS has a lot of resources available to them to discover interesting little facts about people such as working illegally before you get your EAD. Your employer is required to complete and submit certain documents and to verify that you are legally allowed to work in the US. He also - by law - is required to report and remit contributions on your behalf for such things as tax payments, SSA benefits, Unemployment Insurance benefits, etc. If you are working under the table you can be easily 'discovered' by someone reporting you or turning you in or your employer not being as straightforward with you as he says and actually declaring your payments to the IRS as they are a deduction that he can declare to pay less tax. The IRS will then discover the discrepancy when you file tax returns that state ' no income' and they know darn well you do have income. (Lying to the IRS brings its own particular brand of distress, btw). There are also certain forms and applications along the immigration process that ask you for your work and employment history. If you lie on these documents you are guilty of misrepresentation and this is punishable by deportation and revocation of immigration benefits. So if you want to break the law and work illegally, you can also expect to spend the rest of your life looking over your shoulder wondering when the IRS or USCIS are going to show up because they have found out you have falsified information. Or, if you have worked illegally, you can be honest about working illegally and declaring it when required. Don't worry about 'how will they ever know' - they will know and it had best be because you have told them to prevent being deported for misrepresentation. You honestly don't want them to find out any other way because if you do, you will regret not telling them to begin with for the rest of your life.

Just wait the few short months until you get your EAD. Doing otherwise is just not worth it.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.