anthonyisbeauful

Applied for a F-1 Student Visa and was Rejected

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I applied for a F-1 Student Visa to the U.S today but was rejected because the person believed there was not enough evidence to show i will come back to the U.K.

I do not know what to do, i have everything sorted out and aslong as i can prove that i will come back i dont see any other reason to be rejected. I think the problem is that i have a girlfriend in the U.S but i dont want to stop that from me being able to college. Ive been to the US before on the visa waiver program to spend time with her and i came back both times, surely that proves i wont stay illegally. Sure it will be nice to be able to see my girlfriend whilst in the United States but that isnt the reason im going there, its for college. The thing is i would be staying with her aswell because it would save me hundreds of pounds that i could use for other things.

Im going to come back because i have my family here and no matter how much i want to be with my girlfriend im not going to do anything illegal to be with her longer. Also i have to pay off a loan my dad got for college so i definately have to come back.

How would i prove to them that i am going to come back and that im not going just to see my girlfriend?

Is there anything i could take as evidence or anything i could say?

My life has been terrible the last few years and i went through a really rough time. But now ive actually got it on track and this is the first time i want to actually do something with my life and be someone. I dont want that to end because of my girlfriend, whatever happens id have to stay with her because the college put a tuition increase and i dont have enough to stay in there dorms.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

the fact you have a girlfriend in the US, multiple trips to the US on the VWP to see her, and plan on staying with her indicates to the CO that you may have immigrant intent. This is generally a denial for a non-immigrant visa. When applying for a non-immigrant visa, it is presumed that every applicant has immigrant intent until the applicant proves otherwise. You failed to do this due to the fact you have strong ties to your girlfriend and the US.

What they're looking for (from personal experience) is a lease or mortgage in your home country, a job lined up after studies have been completed, a bank account with substantial funds, well established home and family ties, ties to a school program to be completed after schooling in the US is finished, etc. Providing evidence of family ties is typically not enough. What other ties did you show?

Basically, after your schooling is finished in the US, what do you plan on doing?

You can reapply for a student visa once your ties have been strengthened. Sadly, the CO won't care about your peronal life, they care that you can show you'll return to your home country when you're done with school. Living with your USC girlfriend casts doubt to them on that.

Good luck

Edited by canadian_wife

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline

My answer is still the same. Until you have strengthened your ties to the UK (as in being able to show you intend to return to the UK) then you should not reapply.

When I applied for my student visa, I disclosed my relationship with my USC boyfriend. I also had a lease on a house in a different city than he lived in (which didn't increase my ties to Canada per se, but decreased my ties to him), property ownership in Canada, and my Canadian bank account and student loans which were my ties to return to Canada. Without these, I would not have been granted my visa

Good luck.

USCIS
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011

Citizenship

Waited...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Yep, as far as consular officer is concerned, you have the immigrant intent because you have a US girlfriend with whom you intend to live.

You have to either go to a college far away from her and strengthen you ties to the UK by say, marrying and leaving a spouse behind (aka not possible if you are a decent man), or you have to marry your GF, get a GC and then apply for college (aka, may be you are not ready for this commitment).

It sucks and it is totally unreasonable. People may want to do both (live with their SO) and work or go to school, but... you are forced to either end your relationship or get married and immigrate to the US.

Welcome to the Wonderland.

CR-1 Timeline

March'07 NOA1 date, case transferred to CSC

June'07 NOA2 per USCIS website!

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Jan'10 10 year GC received.

• 7 months later...
Filed: Country: France
Timeline

My situation is along the same lines.

I've applied to a college near my girlfriend and have been accepted sunject to good TOEFL scores. Have paid the fees etc.

My girlfriend is sponsoring me, I will be staying with her and I have plenty of money in my bank account. Right now we are not engaged and we have zero plans to get married. Let's face it, two years is a very long time and anything can happen.

As for ties to my country, I have bank accounts, I have two properties that I own outright, but that's about it.

Any suggestions for further strenghtening my ties back in France? I am English, but live in France.

My reason for study in the US is because my French is not good enough to study in France and I cannot afford to study anywhere else in the world due to costs of living etc. I have found a course I want to do and have work experience in it, but not the qualification.

Edited by rh4stc

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

As for the OP, CW has adviced you about most of the points and she is right on dot.

other thing is that you have been saying you have loan to pay off in UK, that is not considered are your ties to your home country. Assume for time being if they approve your visa and you go to school in US, after that you can look for job in US and get settled with you GF there and yet you can pay back your loan while you living in US. - Loan does not constitute as you ties.

Also your future plans as of working for police in UK are really not considered by CO, all (s)he will look as it is the present situation. If the present situation makes them feel you are looking for an escape from your current country, then will not grant you the visa.

Timeline

Oh yes, and on the I-134, under relationship to applicant, we have put friend.

I am also married (to someone else, but going through a divorce which should be completed by November) which I have also stated on that I-134 form.

'friend' isn't really accurate is it? I have plenty of friends in other countries and I highly doubt one of them is emotionally invested enough in our friendship to sponsor me for an incredibly expensive visa.

This may raise questions - you want to keep your petition as easy as possible to approve. If she is your girlfriend, then list it as girlfriend

Good luck

USCIS
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011

Citizenship

Waited...

Filed: Country: France
Timeline

I have discovered that I do not need a USC sponsor, and I have enough in my bank account, plus I am renting my house out which will give me extra income, so I do not even need to mention my girlfriend at all, unless asked.

This hugely tips the balance in my favour I feel.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.