lbounds

Does your wife think the US is too cold ?

98 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I was just joking with my wife the other day....she arrived in LAX the end of October 2009....it was a sunny, little windy day, about 75 degrees...we drove to our home in San Diego, ate lunch on the bay, she said it was cold, had a sweeter on, and yet she saw people walking around in shorts and short sleeve shirts. One of the things she has come to enjoy wearing is a warm bath robe of mine I never wore, ha ha ha, she just sits around the house snuggled in it....but now...she has adjusted very much.....2 days ago we went to do some errands and shopping...she wore shorts, short sleeve and sandals....and was saying....wow, it was hot, ha ha ha...and it was 74 degrees....we even talked about it because I started to laugh....but now that she knows a little bit of what cold is about...she does not want me to take her to the snow...hahaha.

LOVE of a LIFETIME

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

Wife was depressed for 5 months after she arrived here in PA.

She says that the weather outside is depressing, she arrived around winter.

At first, she loved the snow, later on, she got sick of it. It no longer fascinates her.

Especially when it gets windy here in the mountains. One day, she got swept off when a strong wind hit her at the sidewalk.

I think it was funny but she got really pissed with it and complained about the weather all day long.

Now, that she's close to a year here, I think she already had adjusted.

She doesn't complain that much but still hate to bundle up when its winter.

She said it makes her look more fat. But I don't think so.

I guess, we'll never understand women at all.

She'll be fine. Just tell her to bundle up when it's winter coz they are prone to get sick.

SDYlm4.png

-=MY TIMELINE=-

K1 IR-5 (Dad)

01.05.09 - Medical

01.09.09 - Embassy Interview 11.25.13 - Mailed I-130 to Chicago Lockbox

01.17.09 - Visa rec'd 11.26.13 - Packet rec'd

02.03.09 - US Entry (POE: LAX) 11.27.13 - Check cashed

02.18.09 - Wedding 12.01.13 - NOA1 (Transfer to VSC

AOS 01.12.14 - NOA2 (Transfer to NVC)

03.02.09 - Applied for SSN on 2/27;SSN rec'd in mail 02.24.14 - NVC changed # to MNL

03.20.09 - AOS sent to Chicago via USPS 02.27.14 - DS 261 submitted

03.23.09 - AOS Package rec'd @ Chicago 03.04.14 - AOS fee paid; showed paid status on 3/6

07.06.09 - Welcome letter rec'd = FINALLY! 03.10.14 - AOS packet sent

07.09.09 - 10-YR GC rec'd.. odd? 03.12.14 - AOS packet delivered

I-751 03.17.14 - Rec'd IV bill invoice

04.04.11 - Infopass re:10-yr GC 03.18.14 - IV Fee paid; showed paid status on 3/20

04.09.11 - I-751 packet sent to VSC; delivered on 4/11 03.23.14 - DS 260 submitted online

04.22.11 - Check cashed; Rec'd NOA on 4/23 03.28.14 - Rec'd AOS checklist via email

06.27.11 - Rec'd bio appt in the mail:EB 07/08 (walk-in) 03.31.14 - Mailed checklist with corections

12.13.11 - I-751 approved 04.01.14 - Mailed civil documents

12.19.11 - 10-yr GC rec'd 04.03.14 - Civil docs delivered

N-400 04.07.14 - Advance Medical--PASSED!Done in 1 day

04.17.12 - N400 packet sent to TX Lockbox: REJECTED 04.18.14 - False IV checklist rec'd

05.17.12 - N400 resent to Lewisville,TX 04.23.14 - IV checklist re:Qatar PCC

05.23.12 - Check cashed; Rec'd NOA on 5/26 05.05.14 - Qatar PCC sent to NVC

06.01.12 - Rec'd bio appt in the mail:EB 06/11 instead of 6/21 06.05.14 - Case completed

07.09.12 - Rec'd interview letter for 8/14 @ 2PM 07.16.14 - Interview rescheduled due to Typhoon Glenda

08.14.12 - PASSED Interview; awaiting oath letter 07.31.14 - Interview @ USEM: APPROVED

10.01.12 - Rec'd Oath Letter 08.05.14 - Visa on hand

10.12.12 - Oath ceremony! I'm finally a USC! 08.27.14 - POE: LAX

09.08.14 - SSN in mail

09.15.14 - ELIS status changed to OPTIMIZED

09.22.14 - ELIS status CLOSED

09.26.14 - GC received

Speaking of cold and sled rides, here is a video of Meryll's first sledding experience:

th_SleddingVid001.jpg

Will ice skating be next?

Naturalization

3/23/14 - N400 package sent to Phoenix

3/27/14 - N400 package delivered

4/3/14 - NOA1 receipt date

4/4/14 - check cashed

04/29/14 - biometrics date

07/01/14 - interview date

xx/xx/xx - Oath Ceremony

Speaking of cold and sled rides, here is a video of Meryll's first sledding experience:

th_SleddingVid001.jpg

Will ice skating be next?

Thanks for posting. I literally laughed out loud on that one. I thought it was going to take forever for her to get going but, once she did, she did terrific for a first timer. I took my wife and another Filipina friend ice skating for the first time a few years ago...while I tried my darnedest to keep them both upright the entire time, each fell once and neither have tried it again since.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
Elow.. I just arrive here in the USA last november 18th.. I am from MINDANAO also.. Hell YES.. its a big adjustment to me here in chicagoland.

the coats in Chicago are not sold anywhere else in CONUS - so I think you can make hefty profit selling them to your sisters who are not in Chicago. Is special design, to keep out the cold, wind, and snow together.

but for a tropical lass, a coat designed for -30F works well in 20F also, with same result.

Suggest you make some contacts, is good money for January !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

My wife arrived from Cebu with me on December 16. It was about 50 degrees on the breezeway at Dulles when we arrived and deplaned and she was COLD! HAHAHA - I laughed with her!!. So I was also a bit worried about how she would adjust to the weather. But since then she has been totally tested and has passed with flying colors!! On December 18 (day 2) we received 20 inches of snow with wind where we live in Maryland. A record snow for the area and her first snow ever. We walked and enjoyed the snow and took lots of pics. On December 24 (day 8) while we were visiting family in Iowa we received a 16 inch snow with some ice and very cold. On January 1 (day 14) while visiting more family in Idaho we received a 16 inch snow that was very heavy and wet. Through all of this Gladys was excited to see the snow and experience the change in temperature. We have been walking and sledding and built a snowman, had a snow ball fight and played for hours - and she has enjoyed it all and has not really been cold at all. Now we are traveling in Wisconsin and have seen temperatures of -15 F (and lots more snow)!! She has not complained and has simply dressed warmer and learned to adjust to the conditions. In fact I think she is more adjusted to the climate this winter than I am!! (However, her feet are very cold at night when she gets into bed - WHOA!!) :lol:

Food has been just ok for her. It has been difficult to get her the foods she likes while we are traveling, but we are doing our best. She is also struggling to adjust to the cold dry air of winter in the North. We use a humidifier and saline nasal spray which helps.

So the moral is that if your wife is happy and excited to be here she will have no trouble adjusting to the colder weather.

Mark and Gladys!

pe0zrjk.png

Together in Love Forever!

When I disembarked from the plane at LAX on October 27 last year, the wind was so surprising while it took a few minutes for the next available shuttle to arrive.

Santa Monica is not so cold but when foggy and breezy days come, it's a little chilly. I didn't really complain about the constant dropping and rising of temperature but my husband voluntarily shopped me thicker jackets, hats, and scarves.

My husband grew up on the East Coast and he said that snow used to be about four inches daily and since I haven't seen snow yet, he brought me somewhere in San Bernardino on Christmas Day 2009. Surely, snow was on the mountains.

Oh well, regardless of the weather, my husband is always hot... er, warm... he has a warm heart. :ot2:

Hakuna matata.

God bless us all.

FAE :luv:

17276-hobbes55_large.jpg

Just wondering after your bride gets to the USA if she has problems adjusting thinking the USA is too cold all the time even in normal temps.

My wife to be said it was "cold" a few times in phil and I was thinking I wonder what she's talking about because I can see in the weather report the low is like 70-75 degrees at the time.

When I was with her on Christmas in Mindanao I was sweating all the time as usual.. lol. One time at night maybe it was 70 or 72 and she said it was cold. I was wondering what she was talking about but sometimes we had the air con on in the room and I was a little cold but she was ok.

My Dad's friend married a girl from Thailand and the weather was a big adjustment thing to her even though she moved to Arizona.

I saw one guy here lived in Alaska and had pics of his wife in the snow and they looked happy as could be.

I'm just wondering from your experience if the weather was a big adjustment issue for your wife or if it wasn't much of a big deal... :)

hi, yes its a very big adjustment, cold weather is difficult for me and i never used to it especially now that snowing in kentucky and i cant even go outside, but my husband bought me a warmer and electronic blanket for my sleep to keep me warm and turn on the heater for me, he knows its a big difference in the philippines.

but yes we enjoy snow and we even took pictures, even it so cold outside its nice to see the snow for the first time. and i preferred warm foods the same time.

Timeline
My wife arrived from Cebu with me on December 16. It was about 50 degrees on the breezeway at Dulles when we arrived and deplaned and she was COLD! HAHAHA - I laughed with her!!. So I was also a bit worried about how she would adjust to the weather. But since then she has been totally tested and has passed with flying colors!! On December 18 (day 2) we received 20 inches of snow with wind where we live in Maryland. A record snow for the area and her first snow ever. We walked and enjoyed the snow and took lots of pics. On December 24 (day 8) while we were visiting family in Iowa we received a 16 inch snow with some ice and very cold. On January 1 (day 14) while visiting more family in Idaho we received a 16 inch snow that was very heavy and wet. Through all of this Gladys was excited to see the snow and experience the change in temperature. We have been walking and sledding and built a snowman, had a snow ball fight and played for hours - and she has enjoyed it all and has not really been cold at all. Now we are traveling in Wisconsin and have seen temperatures of -15 F (and lots more snow)!! She has not complained and has simply dressed warmer and learned to adjust to the conditions. In fact I think she is more adjusted to the climate this winter than I am!! (However, her feet are very cold at night when she gets into bed - WHOA!!) :lol:

Food has been just ok for her. It has been difficult to get her the foods she likes while we are traveling, but we are doing our best. She is also struggling to adjust to the cold dry air of winter in the North. We use a humidifier and saline nasal spray which helps.

So the moral is that if your wife is happy and excited to be here she will have no trouble adjusting to the colder weather.

I'm happy to read this, as Vicky will likely arrive here before the end of January, in Wisconsin. I've been a bit worried about it. It's one thing to be here all fall and winter and get used to the temperature change gradually, it's 80, then 70, then 60, then 50, and so on. It's quite another to get on a plane where it's 87 degrees and get off and it's -5.

I know Vicky's more than excited to come here, when I told her our papers were through the NVC and saw her smile on webcam for over an hour from ear to ear hehe.

I'm sure it will be fine, she'll be inside a lot anyway at first with no work permit and no driver's license. Once those things are done and ready it will be spring here anyway.

K1:

Began chatting online 1-2-09, Met in Philippines 9-5 to 9-15-09, Mailed I-129F 9-17-09, I-129F delivered by USPS 9-21-09, Check cashed 9-21-09, NOA1 issued 9-21-09, NOA1 paper copy received 9-28-09, NOA2 issued 12-18-09, NVC received date 12-24-09, NOA2 paper copy received 12-28-09, NVC sent date 12-29-09, Embassy received date 01-05-10, Medical 01-07-10 & 01-11-10 approved/ passed, Interview date 01-14-10 APPROVED! MY HONEY'S COMING!, Visa delivered 1-27-10 Manila time, Arrival in U.S. 2-4-10 POE Minneapolis/ St. Paul

Married! 2-14-10 in Las Vegas

AOS:

Applied for SSN 2-17-10 Received SSN and Cert. Marriage Cert. 3-2-10

Mailed AOS packet 3-3-10

AOS paperwork confirmed delivered 3-4-10

Email/ text notification of NOA1s 3-12-10

*touch* 3-15-10 AOS & EAD

Paper copy NOA1s received 3-16-10

*touch* 3-17-10 AOS & EAD

Received biometrics appointment letter 3-20-10, appointment set for 4-12-10

Case transferred to CSC 3-31-10!! Yay!!

Received email notice 4-6-10 I-485 received at CSC

Biometrics done 4-12-10, Milwaukee, WI ASC

Vicky got her driving permit, 4-12-10

*touch* 4-13-10 AOS & EAD

*touch* 4-21-10 AOS only

*touch* 4-22-10 AOS only

EAD card production ordered 5-14-10.

*touch* 5-17-10 EAD only

EAD card production ordered 5-19-10 (again?)

Received "Welcome to USA" letter 5-25-10, permanent resident application approved!

EAD card received 5-29-10

Greencard received 6-11-10

Positive pregnancy test 6-12-10

Just make sure she has a good warm coat, hat and gloves and she will be OK.

Also promise her a shopping trip to get other items to stay warm and she will be in heaven!! :thumbs:

What part of Wisconsin do you live?

-Phil

I'm happy to read this, as Vicky will likely arrive here before the end of January, in Wisconsin. I've been a bit worried about it. It's one thing to be here all fall and winter and get used to the temperature change gradually, it's 80, then 70, then 60, then 50, and so on. It's quite another to get on a plane where it's 87 degrees and get off and it's -5.

I know Vicky's more than excited to come here, when I told her our papers were through the NVC and saw her smile on webcam for over an hour from ear to ear hehe.

I'm sure it will be fine, she'll be inside a lot anyway at first with no work permit and no driver's license. Once those things are done and ready it will be spring here anyway.

kp7cnfvctuzu.png

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I still think its too cold here, Im here in LA lol.. but in summer it gets really hot i would say too bright..bad for my migraine.. but winter, what winter? 70 is cold for me too.. cant wait for summer =)

😁

Timeline
Just make sure she has a good warm coat, hat and gloves and she will be OK.

Also promise her a shopping trip to get other items to stay warm and she will be in heaven!! :thumbs:

What part of Wisconsin do you live?

-Phil

Madison, WI (Middleton, but whatever same difference)

K1:

Began chatting online 1-2-09, Met in Philippines 9-5 to 9-15-09, Mailed I-129F 9-17-09, I-129F delivered by USPS 9-21-09, Check cashed 9-21-09, NOA1 issued 9-21-09, NOA1 paper copy received 9-28-09, NOA2 issued 12-18-09, NVC received date 12-24-09, NOA2 paper copy received 12-28-09, NVC sent date 12-29-09, Embassy received date 01-05-10, Medical 01-07-10 & 01-11-10 approved/ passed, Interview date 01-14-10 APPROVED! MY HONEY'S COMING!, Visa delivered 1-27-10 Manila time, Arrival in U.S. 2-4-10 POE Minneapolis/ St. Paul

Married! 2-14-10 in Las Vegas

AOS:

Applied for SSN 2-17-10 Received SSN and Cert. Marriage Cert. 3-2-10

Mailed AOS packet 3-3-10

AOS paperwork confirmed delivered 3-4-10

Email/ text notification of NOA1s 3-12-10

*touch* 3-15-10 AOS & EAD

Paper copy NOA1s received 3-16-10

*touch* 3-17-10 AOS & EAD

Received biometrics appointment letter 3-20-10, appointment set for 4-12-10

Case transferred to CSC 3-31-10!! Yay!!

Received email notice 4-6-10 I-485 received at CSC

Biometrics done 4-12-10, Milwaukee, WI ASC

Vicky got her driving permit, 4-12-10

*touch* 4-13-10 AOS & EAD

*touch* 4-21-10 AOS only

*touch* 4-22-10 AOS only

EAD card production ordered 5-14-10.

*touch* 5-17-10 EAD only

EAD card production ordered 5-19-10 (again?)

Received "Welcome to USA" letter 5-25-10, permanent resident application approved!

EAD card received 5-29-10

Greencard received 6-11-10

Positive pregnancy test 6-12-10

I have a hard time getting Claudeth out of bed when it gets below 75 and we live in California. Just wait until we move to Colorado :devil:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
I have a hard time getting Claudeth out of bed when it gets below 75 and we live in California. Just wait until we move to Colorado :devil:

Hey bud, I'd never leave Southern California for Colorado! Can't play golf in Colorado in winter and come to think of it, I played in my shorts yesterday! And today, another mid-70 day in paradise. :thumbs:

140px-Ph_seal_ilocos_sur.png

355634134_6337d0bad9_m.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.