lbounds

Does your wife think the US is too cold ?

98 posts in this topic

Yes, I'm thinking of bundling up in layers, aside from the coat. I'm also planning to get another coat that is wind proof and also one that will be able to handle snow (water-proof).

Just another question/concern: aren't we supposed to just dry-clean clothing with high wool content? I don't know about the shrinking part, but if they do shrink, then I have to reconsider about getting one that has higher wool content. Does it only shrink when you wash it or they really shrink even if you dry-clean them?

I've found that pure wool usually needs to be dry-cleaned so that it won't shrink or deform. Partial-wool fabric can sometimes go through the washer and the dryer without shrinking or deforming. You can test out your fabric by taking a leftover piece and running it through the washer and the dryer to see what happens to it.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zara has a store at Glorietta in Makati.

Top Shop has a store at Greenbelt 3 and at Robinson's in Ermita.

If you go to either store, be prepared to spend Php 5,000 or over for a 3-in-1 or 4-in-1.

You'd be surprised at the selection at that ukay-ukay store at Makati Cinema Square...some of the jackets were bought originally in Japan (where they also experience winter weather), so I'm sure you will find something in your size. There is also a bigger ukay-ukay store in the lower level of Makati Cinema Square. From Jollibee, take the stairs down to the next level then go to the left. They have like 3 or 4 racks of jackets.

Yes, I'm actually on the lookout for those 3-in-1 or 4-in-1 jackets. Those jackets come in layers.

I'm also thinking of going around all the ukay-ukay stores, especially near my area (Dimasalang), and I've already looked at a few, but they just don't have what I'm looking for. I'm still hoping to get lucky one of these days, and before I have to leave. I'm also a small girl, so it's so much tougher to find something that will fit me, so I'm used to having clothes that are especially made for me.

Where is Top Shop and Zara? Are they in Vegas or in Manila? I might try that store at Makati Cinema Square, if I can't find something here in the Manila area (Quiapo, Avenida, Divisoria, Blumentritt, etc.).

-Kezia

Edited by marriedtomrg

Be smart, have a plan, and hang on to the people you love. - Chris Gardner

N-400 Timeline

02-23-2018: Sent N-400 Application online

02-23-2018: Date on NOA, retrieved from online account

02-23-2018: Date on Biometrics Appointment Letter (Biometrics Appointment at Jacksonville ASC on March 13, 10:00 a.m.)

03-08-2018: Biometrics complete

04-05-2018: Case status updated - Interview Scheduled on May 10, 2018, 10:15 a.m. :D

05-10-2018: Citizenship Interview - Passed English and Civics Tests, Recommended for Approval! :D 

06-19-2018: Received email and text notification: Naturalization Ceremony Scheduled; waited for letter to be uploaded on online account - it has been set on Wednesday, July 25, 3:00 p.m.

07-25-2018: I am now a U.S. Citizen!

K3-K4 Journey.txt

• 2 weeks later...

Zara has a store at Glorietta in Makati.

Top Shop has a store at Greenbelt 3 and at Robinson's in Ermita.

If you go to either store, be prepared to spend Php 5,000 or over for a 3-in-1 or 4-in-1.

You'd be surprised at the selection at that ukay-ukay store at Makati Cinema Square...some of the jackets were bought originally in Japan (where they also experience winter weather), so I'm sure you will find something in your size. There is also a bigger ukay-ukay store in the lower level of Makati Cinema Square. From Jollibee, take the stairs down to the next level then go to the left. They have like 3 or 4 racks of jackets.

Thanks for this tip! I got two good jackets there yesterday (Makati Cinema Square). I couldn't find a wool one, although there might have been some and I just wasn't sure if it was really part-wool and not polyester, because many didn't have the plastic inserts with the cloth description and many more had other asian languages in them and I can't read chinese, korean nor japanese. In the 4 stores I found there, I only found 2 good jackets, and one of that was a thick blue denim one with something feathery around the neck and bottom as a design but I don't think that it was wool but polyester or cotton.

On my way back LRT Libertad, the jeep stopped 3-4 blocks away so I was forced to walk, and found several more ukay-ukay stores there. The selections were more expensive and limited than that at the MCS, but I found a really good black leather jacket that I loved. I also found one long nylon coat that reaches up to my knees which is ugly (just one straight coat without form and it's brown) and bigger than what I should have, but I thought that it had some good insulation and the linings were waterproof --we even tested it and it just wouldn't absorb the water even after several minutes-- so I thought that I'd also just get it since it was 300 pesos and I wasn't too concerned with fashion. All I want is comfort, and if I need some lining over my jacket if it rains or snows wherever I'm going (or if it's too humid in the plane), I could just put it on, especially because it could also cover more than half of my thighs. David didn't like it though, and says that I shouldn't wear it. I'm still undecided if I would disregard his advice and keep the coat anyway just in case I'll be too cold.

I would welcome comments on this, as I'm also undecided if I would wear the leather jacket or the maong. Both look good on me but they can't be put on top of another if I already have a hoodie and a turtleneck underwear under that (both white), because the leather and the denim jackets are both good fits so they can't both be used.

On the last store, right before I got to Libertad, I also found an ugly checkered red & black & white coat, this time with a hood and an 80% wool lining on top and I think it was nylon beneath. David doesn't like it though and it's a little bigger than me. If I can have it dry-cleaned before I go, I want to wear it because it just might be more warm for me. What do you guys think: Ugly 80% wool coat with the hood, or sexy black leather jacket, or thick blue denim jacket with red feathery accents? I don't have any experience with all of those, so I'll have to rely on your experiences.

Thanks!

:-)

Kezia

2009/12/30 - Met online

2010/03/27 - 1st Visit to the Phils

2010/04/03 - Left the Phils back to the US

2010/05/__ - Engagement (unofficial)

2010/07/19 - Filed I-129F

2010/07/27 - Check cleared

2010/08/21 - 3rd Call to USCIS call center, finally got our Case #, still no mail

2010/09/01 - NOA1 official date

2010/09/07 - NOA1 received, FINALLY!!!

2010/10/06 - Touched (expedite request callback from USCIS, giving us the requirements)

2010/10/07 - Finally got the papers from the doctor and submitted requirements for expedite

2010/10/07 - Touched with callback

2010/10/14 - USCIS website says it's APPROVED!!! mailed

2010/10/19 - received at NVC

2010/10/21 - NVC sent documents to the US Embassy in Manila

2010/10/23 - 2nd Visit the the Phils, touchdown in Manila & flight to Samar, Pamamanhikan for brunch, Engagement Party for dinner

2010/10/24 - Picnic with close family and friends

2010/10/25 - Engagement Party with family in Manila

2010/10/26 - Leave the Phils back to the US

2010/11/22 - Interview at the US Embassy in Manila - VISA APPROVED!!!

2010/12/30 - POE in Las Vegas. TOGETHER AT LAST!

2011/03/06 - Married in Las Vegas

2011/05/03 - AOS, EAD & AP filing date

2011/05/11 - NOA1 for all

2011/05/24 - successful walk-in biometrics (originally 6/10)

2011/06/20 - got online status update and hardcopy of interview appointment dated 6/16 but scheduled for 7/26

2011/07/22 - AP approved, EAD card in production

2011/07/26 - AOS interview. RFE coz they LOST MY MEDICAL!!! GRRR!

2011/07/30 - EAD/AP combo card in the mail

2011/10/21 - finally got my GREENCARD after several complaints all over the place

I would hold off buying the wool coat until you arrive in the US, where you will find a much better selection. (Have David take you to an outlet store!)

I'd buy the jacket you like AND looks good on you. That's a better investment. Also, you may want to consider getting some thermal underthings...which I believe you should be able to buy at Marks and Spencers (they have a bigger store at Greenbelt 3) or Columbia (they have a store at Mall of Asia). That should keep the layering down to a minimum, and at the same time you're feeling warmer!

BTW, I personally like coats with fur or feathery stuff :D If you like it, get it!

Thanks for this tip! I got two good jackets there yesterday (Makati Cinema Square). I couldn't find a wool one, although there might have been some and I just wasn't sure if it was really part-wool and not polyester, because many didn't have the plastic inserts with the cloth description and many more had other asian languages in them and I can't read chinese, korean nor japanese. In the 4 stores I found there, I only found 2 good jackets, and one of that was a thick blue denim one with something feathery around the neck and bottom as a design but I don't think that it was wool but polyester or cotton.

On my way back LRT Libertad, the jeep stopped 3-4 blocks away so I was forced to walk, and found several more ukay-ukay stores there. The selections were more expensive and limited than that at the MCS, but I found a really good black leather jacket that I loved. I also found one long nylon coat that reaches up to my knees which is ugly (just one straight coat without form and it's brown) and bigger than what I should have, but I thought that it had some good insulation and the linings were waterproof --we even tested it and it just wouldn't absorb the water even after several minutes-- so I thought that I'd also just get it since it was 300 pesos and I wasn't too concerned with fashion. All I want is comfort, and if I need some lining over my jacket if it rains or snows wherever I'm going (or if it's too humid in the plane), I could just put it on, especially because it could also cover more than half of my thighs. David didn't like it though, and says that I shouldn't wear it. I'm still undecided if I would disregard his advice and keep the coat anyway just in case I'll be too cold.

I would welcome comments on this, as I'm also undecided if I would wear the leather jacket or the maong. Both look good on me but they can't be put on top of another if I already have a hoodie and a turtleneck underwear under that (both white), because the leather and the denim jackets are both good fits so they can't both be used.

On the last store, right before I got to Libertad, I also found an ugly checkered red & black & white coat, this time with a hood and an 80% wool lining on top and I think it was nylon beneath. David doesn't like it though and it's a little bigger than me. If I can have it dry-cleaned before I go, I want to wear it because it just might be more warm for me. What do you guys think: Ugly 80% wool coat with the hood, or sexy black leather jacket, or thick blue denim jacket with red feathery accents? I don't have any experience with all of those, so I'll have to rely on your experiences.

Thanks!

:-)

Kezia

Edited by marriedtomrg

Be smart, have a plan, and hang on to the people you love. - Chris Gardner

N-400 Timeline

02-23-2018: Sent N-400 Application online

02-23-2018: Date on NOA, retrieved from online account

02-23-2018: Date on Biometrics Appointment Letter (Biometrics Appointment at Jacksonville ASC on March 13, 10:00 a.m.)

03-08-2018: Biometrics complete

04-05-2018: Case status updated - Interview Scheduled on May 10, 2018, 10:15 a.m. :D

05-10-2018: Citizenship Interview - Passed English and Civics Tests, Recommended for Approval! :D 

06-19-2018: Received email and text notification: Naturalization Ceremony Scheduled; waited for letter to be uploaded on online account - it has been set on Wednesday, July 25, 3:00 p.m.

07-25-2018: I am now a U.S. Citizen!

K3-K4 Journey.txt

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Gina got here 16 November and it was cold albiet in the 60's/70's to her.

The last few days she has been braving it and going out in the morning when I am heading off to work, now its been mid/high 20's this last week, I couldn't figure out why she is standing there breathing out alot until it hit me -- she has never seen her breath before!!! Driving to the mid-west for x-mas holidays so she should get to see a fair amount of snow along the way.

Last night I felt bad though took her out to the fishing pier in 25 degree weather with 15-20 mpg winds striper fishing. She was a brave soul and lasted two and half hours--she didn't say too much about it but I know she was feeling the cold judging by the cold feet against my legs all night.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

... I wasn't too concerned with fashion. All I want is comfort...

Full bonus points awarded.

I don't know what to say with David's opinion doing some interference in our only operative principle - warmth.

The low is -39F today here. Fashion will get your toes removed by a surgeon.

dluke77 - her core got pretty cold if her feet were cold that long. She definitely needs better gear.

yes! we currently live in Phoenix were you get 100F++ degrees in the summer and yes, she would still be under the covers all bundled up :P

AOS:

07/16/08 - filed AOS application

07/18/08 - received by USCIS

07/22/08 - USCIS mailed our NOA

07/24/08 - touched

07/25/08 - received NOA (AOS, EAD, AP)

07/29/08 - received ASC Appointment Notice (Biometrics)

08/09/08 - biometrics appointment

08/11/08 - I485 and I765 touched

09/17/08 - AP approved

09/19/08 - EAD approved, card already in production

09/24/08 - EAD card received

09/25/08 - SSN application

10/01/08 - received letter re: SSN card delivery in 2 weeks

10/06/08 - SSN Card received

02/17/09 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

ROC:

11/19/10 - Submit requirements for Lifting of Conditions

11/22/10 - NOA1 received

12/22/10 - Biometrics Appointment

02/09/11 - ROC APPROVED!

02/10/11 - Green Card Received

US CITIZENSHIP:

12/19/11 - Submit requirements for US Citizenship

12/22/11 - NOA1 received

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans not to harm you but to prosper you. Plans to give you hope and a better future."

- Jeremiah 29:11

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am in Kansas where the winters get pretty cold and 30 mph winds make it viscious. When I tell my girl who is from San Miguel Bobol the temp. here is negative 0 f, she can't even concieve what that feels like. I said to go to the store and ask to go in the walk in freezer for 10 minutes then double that feeling and you are close.

More importantly, she never asked where I was from or what it was like here. She only answered that she will love me wherever that I am at because that is easy. Hell of a woman.

November 2009- Met online

May 13,2010- Visited in Cebu, Philippines

July 01, 2010 I-129f mailed to Cali

July 06,2010- USCIS confirmed delivery

July 12,2010- NOA-1

July 21,2010- file touched

Nov. 19,2010- NOA2 Approved!!!!

Nov. 24, 2010- NVC received

Nov. 30,2010- Hardcopy recieved in mail

Nov. 30, 2010-case number received from NVC via phone

case forwarded to Manilla

Dec. 06, 2010- paid Visa fee at BPI

Dec. 07,2010-Embassy recieved

Dec. 28, 2010- Appt. finally scheduled

Jan. 11,2011- Medical exam

Jan. 18,2011- Interview APPROVED!!!

Jan. 19,2011- Visa printed

Jan. 22, 2011- Visa delivered

Jan. 30, 2011- Guam

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.