emmieme

Can we get married at my parents house?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi everyone!

My fiance is still waiting for his interview date for the K-1 visa in London. Hopefully is will be this January!

Once he enters into the USA, we are thinking about getting my mom and dad's house in Oregon. Does anyone know if this would be 'legal' according to the U.S government? Or do we have to get married at a registery office, church, or court house?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

You can get married anywhere you want in the US as long as the marriage is performed by someone legally able to marry you and proper paperwork is filed.

-Blu-

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Amsterdam

02-27-09: I-129F Sent

03-10-09: I-129F NOA1

06-10-09: I-129F NOA2

06-17-09: Rec'vd by NVC

06-18-09: STUCK IN NVC AP

06-25-09: FINALLY petition on it's way to the embassy

06-29-09: DHL delivered our packet to the embassy in Amsterdam

07-01-09: Rec'd Packet 3!!!!

08-01-09: Rec'd Packet 4

08-25-09: Interview date...APPROVED!!!!

12/12/09: Fiancee arrival date WOOOT!

02/20/10: Married and SOOOO happy!

04/20/10: Sent off AOS (finally!)

05/03/10: Rec'd AOS NOA1

My husband and I got married in my in-laws' home so I think it's legal as long as the proper documents are filed. Check with your local registry office as when we went to get a Marriage License, the requirements and the filing process where explained to us by the registrar and it was very helpful.

"... for our Love conquered both Time and Distance."

You can marry anywhere and in any state, not just the town/state where you live. Each state has it's own rules to get a marriage license, so check with the county of the state where the wedding will be held. Some states have a waiting period. Others are instant (like Las Vegas, NV) They will also vary on what kind of documentation you might need to show to obtain the license.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

I agree, unlike the UK, in the US I believe you can get married anywhere and at any time as long as you have a valid marriage licence for the state that you are marrying in and you have a licensed registrar, judge or officiant performing the ceremony.

We're getting married in a beach front gazebo in a public park. Good luck! :thumbs:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi everyone!

My fiance is still waiting for his interview date for the K-1 visa in London. Hopefully is will be this January!

Once he enters into the USA, we are thinking about getting my mom and dad's house in Oregon. Does anyone know if this would be 'legal' according to the U.S government? Or do we have to get married at a registery office, church, or court house?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

I did... location is not important (hot air balloon, beach, halftime of a football game)... having a registered officiant perform the ceremony is...

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: Timeline

Agreed. Just go to wherever in Oregon you'd get the marriage license from and ask them for the requirements.

We got married in California, deputized a friend of ours for the day to marry us (very cool! Lots of people do this, it makes for a nice experience - don't know if they do it in Oregon) and got married in a vineyard.

:yes: We got married at his parents.

They're friends with a certified priest, so we just asked her if she would pop round and marry us. She actually signed the papers BEFORE we got married. Of course, the actual ceremony and vows feel like the real marriage declaration anyway.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.