twohearts

How can my Irish husband come over to the States?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

This past November my husband, who is Irish, and I were married in Ireland. We are currently living in Ireland. I am a U.S. citizen and was wondering what steps do we take in order for us to move to the States? Does he need a greencard or a special visa?

Thanks! Any help on this subject would be most appreciated.

<3 <3

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline
This past November my husband, who is Irish, and I were married in Ireland. We are currently living in Ireland. I am a U.S. citizen and was wondering what steps do we take in order for us to move to the States? Does he need a greencard or a special visa?

Thanks! Any help on this subject would be most appreciated.

<3 <3

Hi and welcome to VJ. You are going to want to check the guides out first off. You will probably need to file for a CR1, to bring a spouse over. But look at the guides, they will help you a lot.

-Blu-

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Amsterdam

02-27-09: I-129F Sent

03-10-09: I-129F NOA1

06-10-09: I-129F NOA2

06-17-09: Rec'vd by NVC

06-18-09: STUCK IN NVC AP

06-25-09: FINALLY petition on it's way to the embassy

06-29-09: DHL delivered our packet to the embassy in Amsterdam

07-01-09: Rec'd Packet 3!!!!

08-01-09: Rec'd Packet 4

08-25-09: Interview date...APPROVED!!!!

12/12/09: Fiancee arrival date WOOOT!

02/20/10: Married and SOOOO happy!

04/20/10: Sent off AOS (finally!)

05/03/10: Rec'd AOS NOA1

Filed: Other Timeline

Yes, first do your reading assignment.

Then file the CR-1 "special visa" which will lead to the green card.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Hi there!

I am an Irish citizen and my husband is from the USA, we did this process last year. You will be filing for an CR-1 visa if married less than two years (leading to 2 year green card upon entry to the USA), or IR-1 if married more than 2 years (leading to ten year greencard once entered the USA). You can file DCF, which is directly via the embassy, and makes the process very quick-see my timeline. It starts with you filing an I-130 form and supporting documents by mailing this to the embassy, the guides here and on the Dublin US Embassy website are a great help.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline
Hi and welcome to VJ. You are going to want to check the guides out first off. You will probably need to file for a CR1, to bring a spouse over. But look at the guides, they will help you a lot.

-Blu-

Hi there, thank you so much for your reply, I reside in Ireland so it looks like I will have to file for the DCF, the only problem is it says I must be permanently resident abroad for six months prior to applying for the I-130, what does ''permament'' imply exactly? Because at the moment I reside in Ireland and have been issued a certificate of registration by the police here after getting married, but have to renew it once a year.

Thanks again for your help.

Timeline

That is fine for Dublin, or at least was last year.

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

thank you so much, your post was a great help. One last question though, do we need to have a place of residency already set up in the U.S.A before we apply?

You have to prove domicile in the US. Having a place to live would be part of that. You also have to qualify financially or get a cosponsor that does.

Edited by Dakine

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Timeline

As PP said, you need a mailing address of some kind for them to send the green card etc once you move over. You don't have to own property or anything; many people use a friend or relative's address until they can find their own place.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.