pcraddy

Interview yesterday!

22 posts in this topic

Hi Everybody! I had my visa interview yesterday – here’s my experience, but please be warned it’s long and rambling!

I stayed at the Gloucester Place hotel – 12 minutes walk from the embassy (I timed it :D ) Not bad, room could have done with a bit of a Hoover, but it was at the back of the hotel and on the 4th floor, so very quiet. Breakfast was OK, nothing fancy but I wasn’t too hungry before the interview anyway.

I arrived at the embassy at about 10 to 10, with my interview being at half 10. I wandered up to the front of the two queues that had begun to form and as I approached a lady with a clipboard asked if I needed any help. She directed me to the queue on the right hand side, alongside the first set of fencing (actually more like a low crowd control barrier). A sign at the front of the queue says “Visas” but it’s hard to see when the queue is already there.

A 2nd queue which was parallel to the 1st one a few metres away (and in the shade of the sun for those at the front, lucky people! :D ) seemed to be people who had a 10am appointment. As the queue formed a guy went up the queue asking people to remove metal objects from their pockets before going through security and generally cracking a few jokes!

The 10am queue started to file into the building, first showing their passport and security letter to somebody the waling along to the side out the embassy to go through the security hut – a standard airport style setup. About 10:45, the 10am queue had finished going in and the lady started looking at appointment letters and pulling the 10:30 people into the now recently emptied 2nd queue. 10 minutes later I was on my way in! I showed my passport and appointment letter and went thru security. I had a small overnight bag with me which wasn’t a problem. You then walk around to the next side of the building, inside the fencing, up some steps and into a lobby. The guys there asked people to turn mobile phones off and if they had any other electronic devices.

You then go up some stairs to the left and get a number from the girl giving tickets out - I made sure I got an immigrant visa one after reading about some people getting the wrong one. You then sit down in the large open waiting room, that has screens in the middle (so you can sit in either half of the room) that show how many people are in the queues in total (the queues are split up into immigrant, non immigrant and 2 others I can’t remember), the next 10 people who will be called and who should currently be at each window. Quite often somebody is called to a particular window by an automated voice with the info also displayed on the screens. There are toilets somewhere (didn’t dare use em in case I missed my call :D ) and sandwich/drinks machine at the back of the room.

The interview windows are to the side of the waiting room, with some more down a short corridor. It was here that I was called after waiting about an hour – window 13! It seemed like less of a waiting time because I was so excited/anxious! A British guy went down a checklist, asking if I had ever changed my name or been adopted, took my birth cert (plus a copy), police cert (plus a copy), my fiancée’s I-134 (plus the supporting evidence) my embassy visa interview fee receipt (red Embassy copy) and had me sign 2 forms (I think they were the DS-156). He then gave me a pink courier form to fill out, gave me my x-ray and said I should wait to be called again. At this point, my 13 compartment “executive file” (£4.99 from Tesco! :) ) came in handy as I had everything at my fingertips.

I went back and waited some more. It seemed some people were being called for the second part of the process by the consular officer calling their ticket number of name out thru the PA, and others were being called by the automated system – so watch out for that. I was called to window 16, where the guy talked to a colleague for a few minutes before acknowledging me and apologising for the wait. He wasn’t very friendly or chatty, just very business like – he wasn’t unfriendly and didn’t make me unconformable, however.

He handed back my original birth cert and police cert and had me sign another form. He then asked a few questions: what I liked about my fiancée, when we last saw each other, whether we had met each others parents and if I had ever overstayed or been in trouble with US immigration.

Then came the funniest part of the day - he flicked through our file and came across a picture from a Halloween party we went to. This consisted of myself dressed as Hunter S Thompson (of Fear and Loathing fame) grinning manically, complete with shades, Las Vegas visor with bat attached, cigarette holder, fly swat and plastic handgun, Joey alongside me dressed as an airline stewardess – and without breaking into a smile said “Was this Halloween?” :D

He then flicked through the I-134, pausing for a few seconds at one or two pages and said everything looked perfect, barring “nothing derogatory” coming up on the computer I should have the visa in 7 days. He didn’t actually say “you are approved” or “Welcome to America” or anything, but he seemed satisfied anyway!

I went to the courier desk on the way out and paid for delivery. You can pay 20 quid extra for pre 8am delivery, so I did so. (More info on delivery options here: http://www.securemail.co.uk/sms/embassyser...deliveries.asp)

I wasn’t sure about the 7 days/computer thing – when the first guy was doing my checklist I watched him write “OK” on the line that said “FBI/Name check”, so I think the 2nd guy may just have been covering himself for any delay.

Anyway – that’s my story – if anybody is still reading, I hope that was useful and feel free to PM me or post here if you have any specific questions!

Good luck to anybody else with an upcoming interview – the waiting is nerve wracking but it’s only 5% as bad as you think it is! Nothing to worry about at all!

--Paul

Removal of Conditions begins

01/06/2009 Packet Mailed

01/08/2009 Packet Received at CSC

01/09/2009 Touched

01/16/2009 NOA1 Received (Dated 01/08/2009)

01/26/2009 Bio Appt. Letter Received (dated 01/18/2009)

01/30/2009 Bio Appt

01/30/2009 Touched

Then came the funniest part of the day - he flicked through our file and came across a picture from a Halloween party we went to. This consisted of myself dressed as Hunter S Thompson (of Fear and Loathing fame) grinning manically, complete with shades, Las Vegas visor with bat attached, cigarette holder, fly swat and plastic handgun, Joey alongside me dressed as an airline stewardess – and without breaking into a smile said “Was this Halloween?” :D

--Paul

Side note: What he couldn't see in the picture was that I, being quite drunk, had leaned over a candle earlier in the night and set fire to my #######. Ok, so just the dress actually suffered damage, but there is a small hole now in my vintage 1960's polyester minidress that I planned on wearing again this year. To be honest this is all hearsay as I don't remember setting myself on fire nor do I remember how I was put out. I'm trusting one of Craddy's friends were nice enough, in just this instance, to feel me up. :devil:

Just a fun side note for the week. Polyester, alcohol and candles do not mix. AVOID Joey's caramel apple shots, I took down more than just myself that night.

:star: Joey

And so he did what countless punk-rock songs had told him to do so many times before: he lived his life

10/07/2006 WEDDING DAY!

11/14/2006 AOS packet made it to 'the box' after being overnighted.

12/02/2006 Paul had biometrics

12/14/2006 AOS Forwarded to CSC AND AP Application approved.

01/17/2007 First touch of 2007 at CSC

01/20/2007 Touched AGAIN (also the 18th) come on...

February: Oops, RFE for a REGISTERED marriage certificate. Oops! Overnighted it.

02/28/2007 Paul gets email letting us know his GREENCARD is on it's way! It's done...for now!

03/09/2007 Paul's greencard arrives. And breathe...

We began with mailing the I-129 in on February 27, 2006 so the whole process took us approx. one year.

Good luck out there!

See PCRADDY for our official timeline.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

:thumbs:

Primo post Paul !

Just sent it over to the little Mr. so he'll have an idea of what to expect on Friday

Good to hear things went so well for you !

"I have spread my dreams under your feet

Tread softly because you tread on my dreams"

-Yeats

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: South Korea
Timeline
:dance: congrats :dance:

1/12/06 Mail I-129f express mail

1/13/06 TSC rec'd

1/23/06 NOA1 from CSC

1/27/06 - Check cleared

7/10/06 - NOA2

7/14/06- rec'd @ NVC

8/14/06- NVC sent petition to Consulate

8/17/06 - Korean Consulate rec'd Petition

8/23/06 - rec'd packet 3 from Consulate

8/25/06 - sent packet 3 back to Consulate

8/27/06 - got confirmation email from Consulate, they rec'd packet three

8/27/06 - requested interview date via Consulate internet site.

9/1/06 - Checked internet site for interveiw date, it was there

9/25/06 - Interview date - APPROVED

9/28/06 - Visa in Zaeems Hand - YEAHHHHH

1/6/07 - leaving for USA

1/20/07 - Wedding Date

1/20/07 - MARRIED!!!!!

2/10/07 - rec'd certified copy of marriage license

AOS

3/13/07 - AOS package rec'd at Chicago Lockbox

3/20/07 - Rec'd Social Security Card

3/21/07 - Checks Cashed and Case Status online

3/24/07 - NOA1 Rec'd for AOS and EAD

3/27/07 - rec'd Biometrics appt letter - scheduled for 4/20/07 @ 11:00am

4/02/07 - "touched"

4/20/07 - had biometrics appt.

4/21/07 - rec'd letter stating case was transferred to CSC

5/22/07 - rec'd Case Pending at CSC email

6/25/07 - EAD card production ordered

7/7/07 - EAD "touched"

7/7/07 - AOS "touched"

8-6-07 - Rec'd EAD Card in the Mail

5-20-08 - AOS INTERVIEW - APPROVED - PASSPORT STAMPED

7-2-10 - Received 10 year green card in mail

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Icy-I think US Airways from anywhere sucks !!!

LOL

Came back from Glasgow last year and it was delay after delay, nasty employees, lost baggage, and pre WWII aircrafts !

Again Paul, that post was just great. Thank you for posting it.

All the best for a quick return to Joey !

"I have spread my dreams under your feet

Tread softly because you tread on my dreams"

-Yeats

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
Icy-I think US Airways from anywhere sucks !!!

LOL

Came back from Glasgow last year and it was delay after delay, nasty employees, lost baggage, and pre WWII aircrafts !

Again Paul, that post was just great. Thank you for posting it.

All the best for a quick return to Joey !

My first flight over was with American, and I too had delays. One of them was due to the cockpit window having a nice big crack in it, we sat and watched them put some kind of tape on it. Scary knowing that was going to be flying us across the ocean! I have 12k miles with them I will likely never use, because I have yet to see a decent price with them in the past three years.

bar37.gif

Image14.jpg

bar37.gif

We go with Northwest for me, KLM for Paul. We started with them because I've always flown Northwest and did for work where I earned so many miles flying around the US that I had elite status and got to skip the lines and get upgrades. Paul ended up going with their partner KLM because we just found they work best for us. The price is always cheaper than B.A. and we can fly Newcastle to Amsterdam direct to Detroit with an airbus so we get the individual movie controls/screens. It's a great flight. Anyone else in the North - it's an option. Anyone using Gatwick, there's a Gatwick straight to Detroit with Northwest, but often you dont' get the individual movie screens as it's a Boeing instead of an Airbus on that flight. Even then, its worth it not to have to stop and do POE in New Jersey or New York then recheck luggage and have a lay over.

Paul's getting a one way ticket, which is cheaper in this case, for August 18th with KLM.

:star: Joey

Edited by Joey559

And so he did what countless punk-rock songs had told him to do so many times before: he lived his life

10/07/2006 WEDDING DAY!

February: Oops, RFE for a REGISTERED marriage certificate. Oops! Overnighted it.

02/28/2007 Paul gets email letting us know his GREENCARD is on it's way! It's done...for now!

We began with mailing the I-129 in on February 27, 2006 so the whole process took us approx. one year.

Good luck out there!

My first flight over was with American, and I too had delays. One of them was due to the cockpit window having a nice big crack in it, we sat and watched them put some kind of tape on it. Scary knowing that was going to be flying us across the ocean! I have 12k miles with them I will likely never use, because I have yet to see a decent price with them in the past three years.

That totally shocks me! I always find the best prices with American! United is always at least $50 higher and BA is so high, its not even worth considering. Of course, I suppose this depends what airport you're departing from and traveling to - Nashville to Heathrow for me. But if you depart from a major airport and have the option to fly to Gatwick, I can see where you'd get better deals elsewhere.

So can I have your 12, 000 miles? :lol:

Edited by TracyTN
SA4userbar.jpg

Timeline

That totally shocks me! I always find the best prices with American! United is always at least $50 higher and BA is so high, its not even worth considering. Of course, I suppose this depends what airport you're departing from and traveling to - Nashville to Heathrow for me. But if you depart from a major airport and have the option to fly to Gatwick, I can see where you'd get better deals elsewhere.

So can I have your 12, 000 miles? :lol:

Fly out of Cinci, the remainder of our tickets have been with Delta. BA is a darn joke! Hey you got 12,000 delta miles to trade? :thumbs:

bar37.gif

Image14.jpg

bar37.gif

No Delta miles, sorry! :( Delta does me no good - they don't fly to Heathrow.

BA makes me sad actually. I'd LOVE to fly them at least once, but there is no way I can ever justify a ticket that is $200 more expensive (at least). It just goes against my cheaper nature! :lol:

Paul, sorry we hijacked your thread. I appreciate your detailed story about the interview. Congrats!!!!

SA4userbar.jpg

Timeline
No Delta miles, sorry! :( Delta does me no good - they don't fly to Heathrow.

BA makes me sad actually. I'd LOVE to fly them at least once, but there is no way I can ever justify a ticket that is $200 more expensive (at least). It just goes against my cheaper nature! :lol:

Paul, sorry we hijacked your thread. I appreciate your detailed story about the interview. Congrats!!!!

Paul you have 12k Delta miles? :lol: (just so we aren't hijacking so terribly) We have heard good things about BA, suppose if in NY they would be worth it. Like you can't justify an extra several hundred dollar charge.

bar37.gif

Image14.jpg

bar37.gif

Filed: IR-5 Country: Pakistan
Timeline
Hi Everybody! I had my visa interview yesterday – here’s my experience, but please be warned it’s long and rambling!

I stayed at the Gloucester Place hotel – 12 minutes walk from the embassy (I timed it :D ) Not bad, room could have done with a bit of a Hoover, but it was at the back of the hotel and on the 4th floor, so very quiet. Breakfast was OK, nothing fancy but I wasn’t too hungry before the interview anyway.

I arrived at the embassy at about 10 to 10, with my interview being at half 10. I wandered up to the front of the two queues that had begun to form and as I approached a lady with a clipboard asked if I needed any help. She directed me to the queue on the right hand side, alongside the first set of fencing (actually more like a low crowd control barrier). A sign at the front of the queue says “Visas” but it’s hard to see when the queue is already there.

A 2nd queue which was parallel to the 1st one a few metres away (and in the shade of the sun for those at the front, lucky people! :D ) seemed to be people who had a 10am appointment. As the queue formed a guy went up the queue asking people to remove metal objects from their pockets before going through security and generally cracking a few jokes!

The 10am queue started to file into the building, first showing their passport and security letter to somebody the waling along to the side out the embassy to go through the security hut – a standard airport style setup. About 10:45, the 10am queue had finished going in and the lady started looking at appointment letters and pulling the 10:30 people into the now recently emptied 2nd queue. 10 minutes later I was on my way in! I showed my passport and appointment letter and went thru security. I had a small overnight bag with me which wasn’t a problem. You then walk around to the next side of the building, inside the fencing, up some steps and into a lobby. The guys there asked people to turn mobile phones off and if they had any other electronic devices.

You then go up some stairs to the left and get a number from the girl giving tickets out - I made sure I got an immigrant visa one after reading about some people getting the wrong one. You then sit down in the large open waiting room, that has screens in the middle (so you can sit in either half of the room) that show how many people are in the queues in total (the queues are split up into immigrant, non immigrant and 2 others I can’t remember), the next 10 people who will be called and who should currently be at each window. Quite often somebody is called to a particular window by an automated voice with the info also displayed on the screens. There are toilets somewhere (didn’t dare use em in case I missed my call :D ) and sandwich/drinks machine at the back of the room.

The interview windows are to the side of the waiting room, with some more down a short corridor. It was here that I was called after waiting about an hour – window 13! It seemed like less of a waiting time because I was so excited/anxious! A British guy went down a checklist, asking if I had ever changed my name or been adopted, took my birth cert (plus a copy), police cert (plus a copy), my fiancée’s I-134 (plus the supporting evidence) my embassy visa interview fee receipt (red Embassy copy) and had me sign 2 forms (I think they were the DS-156). He then gave me a pink courier form to fill out, gave me my x-ray and said I should wait to be called again. At this point, my 13 compartment “executive file” (£4.99 from Tesco! :) ) came in handy as I had everything at my fingertips.

I went back and waited some more. It seemed some people were being called for the second part of the process by the consular officer calling their ticket number of name out thru the PA, and others were being called by the automated system – so watch out for that. I was called to window 16, where the guy talked to a colleague for a few minutes before acknowledging me and apologising for the wait. He wasn’t very friendly or chatty, just very business like – he wasn’t unfriendly and didn’t make me unconformable, however.

He handed back my original birth cert and police cert and had me sign another form. He then asked a few questions: what I liked about my fiancée, when we last saw each other, whether we had met each others parents and if I had ever overstayed or been in trouble with US immigration.

He then flicked through the I-134, pausing for a few seconds at one or two pages and said everything looked perfect, barring “nothing derogatory” coming up on the computer I should have the visa in 7 days. He didn’t actually say “you are approved” or “Welcome to America” or anything, but he seemed satisfied anyway!

I went to the courier desk on the way out and paid for delivery. You can pay 20 quid extra for pre 8am delivery, so I did so. (More info on delivery options here: http://www.securemail.co.uk/sms/embassyser...deliveries.asp)

I wasn’t sure about the 7 days/computer thing – when the first guy was doing my checklist I watched him write “OK” on the line that said “FBI/Name check”, so I think the 2nd guy may just have been covering himself for any delay.

Anyway – that’s my story – if anybody is still reading, I hope that was useful and feel free to PM me or post here if you have any specific questions!

Good luck to anybody else with an upcoming interview – the waiting is nerve wracking but it’s only 5% as bad as you think it is! Nothing to worry about at all!

--Paul

HI Paul

CONGRATS LUCKY GUY atleast u dont have to go through the prolong ADMINISTRATIVE REVIEW wish u very best for ur future as a married couple hopeful my petition approved soon and come to islamabad and i had to go through the AR which is a prolong wait i m so happy that u got ur K1 wish me good luck that i be there too in OCTOBER before the birtday of my fiance MANY MANY CONGRATS TO BOTH OF U FROM FAAL

Thanks, FAAL. Best of luck from PCraddy's other half, Joey.

It's a horrible wait, isn't? We were very fortunate that we got in just before IMBRA took effect and that we both have pretty unique names so we didn't get bogged down in security checks.

I hope they get back to you with good results very very soon. All the best!

:star: Joey and Craddy (who only has 7 days of work left and is going above and beyond the call of duty for them so he's working so much he barely has time to eat or come and read all the nice things people are saying, but I know he really really appreciates it).

10/07/2006 WEDDING DAY!

Good luck out there!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.