cmboothe

Criminal Record - How does this affect?

32 posts in this topic

I have a PDF of the law at home. I can see if I can attach it to a PM and send it to you if you like.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

DEAN AND SHERYL

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

‘‘(B) The Secretary of Homeland Security may, in the Secretary’s

discretion, waive the limitations in subparagraph (A) if justification

exists for such a waiver. Except in extraordinary circumstances

and subject to subparagraph ©, such a waiver shall not be granted

if the petitioner has a record of violent criminal offenses against

a person or persons.

Paragragh A is the limit of number of petitions which can result in denial

Paragragh C talks about what crimes dont fall under this.

My understanding is that you can be denied. Am I reading this wrong?

June 05 Lisa and I fall in love

15 Mar 06 I-129F received at CSC NOA1

5 Aug 06 NOA2 after 143 days in CSC purgatory

20 Oct 06 Interview Date

16 Feb 07 Denial Letter received

12 Mar 07 Motion to reconsider submitted

10 Sep 07 Motion to Reconsider denied

9 May 08 Lisa and Married in United Kingdom

23 May 08 I-130 filed

Oct 08 NOA-2 received

May 7 09 Lisa's Interview I 601 filed

29 Jul 09 I-601 waiver approved

18 Aug 09 Passport to London Embassy

20 Aug 09 Tickets purchased for 10 Sep 09

WE HAVE FINALLY WON, OUR LONG AND HARD JOURNEY IS COMPLETE!!!!!!

‘‘(B) The Secretary of Homeland Security may, in the Secretary’s

discretion, waive the limitations in subparagraph (A) if justification

exists for such a waiver. Except in extraordinary circumstances

and subject to subparagraph ©, such a waiver shall not be granted

if the petitioner has a record of violent criminal offenses against

a person or persons.

Paragragh A is the limit of number of petitions which can result in denial

Paragragh C talks about what crimes dont fall under this.

My understanding is that you can be denied. Am I reading this wrong?

This is pertaining to the limit on the number of K-1's you can file if you have already had a previous K-1 approved. So if you are over the limit for for number of K-1's filed you can file for a waiver to this part of the law. However if you are a violent offender they will deny your waiver for filing multiple petitions unless you can prove extraordinary circimstances. So if you have violent convictions and are trying to file multiple petitions forget it. But they won't just simply deny a visa if the UCS has a criminal record as long as that person does not exceed the max number of K-1 petitions required by the law.

DEAN AND SHERYL

Timeline

Okay got it, that concurs with what I understood. So the bottom line is that you can be denied for criminal activity if you have filed over the limit on petitions.

So bottom line is that criminal activity can (in combination with multiple petitions) be reason for denial.

Back to our original statements, neither of us was completely correct.

Just wanted to be sure, because I dont like handing out bad or incomplete info.

June 05 Lisa and I fall in love

15 Mar 06 I-129F received at CSC NOA1

5 Aug 06 NOA2 after 143 days in CSC purgatory

20 Oct 06 Interview Date

16 Feb 07 Denial Letter received

12 Mar 07 Motion to reconsider submitted

10 Sep 07 Motion to Reconsider denied

9 May 08 Lisa and Married in United Kingdom

23 May 08 I-130 filed

Oct 08 NOA-2 received

May 7 09 Lisa's Interview I 601 filed

29 Jul 09 I-601 waiver approved

18 Aug 09 Passport to London Embassy

20 Aug 09 Tickets purchased for 10 Sep 09

WE HAVE FINALLY WON, OUR LONG AND HARD JOURNEY IS COMPLETE!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

uhh, that all sounds a little crazy. I would like to see the PDF if you can send it. I would like to take a read. Thanks

06/30/06- sent I-129F petition to VSC.

07/11/06- NOA1 (received in mail)

07/19/06- RFE received in mail, IMBRA

07/28/06- e-mail, IMBRA RFE received at VSC

09/11/06- called VSC, told I'm with an adjudicating officer

09/25/06- called VSC, told to file expedited service, outside 60 days of RFE received date

09/26/06- sent expedited service request to VSC via fax and snail mail

09/26/06- Senators and Congressman making inquiries into my petition

09/29/06- expedited service request approved by VSC director

10/04/06- e-mail NOA2 approved!!!!!!

10/05/06- NVC received

10/06/06- NVC forwarded to Poland Embassy

10/16/06- Packet #3 received

10/17/06- Packet #3 sent to US Embassy Warsaw

10/30/06- Packet #4 received

10/30/06- Interview scheduled for November 22nd!!!

11/30/06- Visa in hand, via DHL!!!!

12/05/06- Ania and I arrive together in the USA

02/11/07- Ania applied for Social Security Card

02/17/07- Ania and I were MARRIED!!!!!!

07/24/07- Social Security Card in hand- after some minor issues and a little procrastination :)

10/14/07- I-485, I-765, and permission to travel mailed to USCIS

10/17/07- Received NOA1

12/17/07- I-485 shipped to California Service Center for faster service

12/17/07- I-765 approved new card should be mailed within 30 days, Advanced parole approved

02/28/08- AOS APPROVED!!!! PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD RECEIVED!!!!! (card received couple weeks after approval)

Okay got it, that concurs with what I understood. So the bottom line is that you can be denied for criminal activity if you have filed over the limit on petitions.

So bottom line is that criminal activity can (in combination with multiple petitions) be reason for denial.

Well yes sort of LOL. Though the actual reason for denial is filing over the max number of petitions allowed. Which is grounds for denial whether you have convictions or not. You just aren't likely to be granted a waiver for an exemption to this part of the law if you are a violent offender. I'm like you just wanted to make sure people knew that having a conviction as a USC is not alone grounds for denial. And I wasn't really clear in my earlier until I read it again for like the 10th time. :P

6 of one, half a dozen of the other. :lol:

DEAN AND SHERYL

Timeline
I think the more important question is: What did your fiance do? It doesn't make much difference how old or young he was, as much as the actual crime committed. I worried about this myself, as a fiance of a former football hooligan... :P We have not found any of his record to be detrimental so far... but then, we have not received NOA 2 yet... so who knows for sure....

You and me too, sister. Gosh darn those hooligan antics. We might all be dancing at the Waiver-A-Go-Go soon. Why can't they show enthusiasm for their teams by hiring scantily clad cheerleaders instead of going on testosterone gone awry outrages?

March 9 - filed I-129F to Nebraska

March 15 - NOA#1

June 1 - transferred to CSC

July 11 - IMBRA RFE back with CSC

August 3 - NOA#2

August 6 - touched

Timeline

Well, I read the PDF file of the IMBRA law and all is well. A covnviction on the USC is not grounds for a denial! thanks for the info!!

09/25/06- called VSC, told to file expedited service, outside 60 days of RFE received date

10/05/06- NVC received

07/24/07- Social Security Card in hand- after some minor issues and a little procrastination :)

10/17/07- Received NOA1

12/17/07- I-765 approved new card should be mailed within 30 days, Advanced parole approved

02/28/08- AOS APPROVED!!!! PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD RECEIVED!!!!! (card received couple weeks after approval)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
Well, I read the PDF file of the IMBRA law and all is well. A covnviction on the USC is not grounds for a denial! thanks for the info!!

we hope so :thumbs:

Robert (U.S.A.)------^--^------Waenphetch (Thailand)

September 27' 2005 -------------------------(Met online)

May 16' 2006---------- (Mailed application from Chiangmai, Thailand) to NSC

June 9' 2006--------- (NOA 1 Receipt date) ---CSC----

September 7' 2006------------(NOA 2 Receipt date)

December 20' 2006 (7 a.m.) -----------INTERVIEW Approved IMBRA discussed[/color]

December 24' 2006 ---------- POE - LA

December 26' 2006 ------------ Civil Marriage

December 28' 2006 ------------ Applied for SSN

January' 19' 2007 ------------- SSN Received

AOS Chicago

December 29' 2006 ----------- Mailed I-485

January' 5' 2007 -------------- NOA Receipt date (MSC)

January' 23' 2007 ------------ I-485 Transferred to CSC

January 26' 2007 ------------ Biometric done

February 7' 2007 ------------ Case pending at CSC

October 19, 2007 ------------ Approved email from CRIS (welcome notice sent on Oct 18)

March 14, 2007 ------------ Mailed I - 765

May 4, 2007 ----------- I-765 approved

May 30, 2007 ----------- got a great job at www.swipeclock.com as an Accountant

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiance was arrested when he was a young teenager, how is this going to affect us? Anyone know?

Thanks.

Any conviction (maybe depends on how serious the crime was) won't be a cause for any petition denial. Per IMBRA, the consular officer during the interview may disclose the convictions of the petitioner to the beneficiary. Not all arrests lead to conviction. Was he convicted of any crime?

From what I understand certain convictions are grounds for denial. Convictions pertaining to a Violent crime require a waiver to be granted. That's just what I've gathered. You may want to look into this thread, and look at the I-129F for more details in the instructions

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22699

That pertains to the USC and has nothing to do with the foreign national beneficiary which is the case here.

It is also bad information since no coviction of the USC is grounds for denial.

I think you better check your information. Under IMBRA you are required to have a waiver if you have been convicted of certain crimes. NO WAIVER APPROVED NO PETITION APPROVAL. (why tell you to submit waiver if it wasnt grounds for denying the petition?

It is to ask the USCIS to waive the requirement that they inform your fiancee of your conviction if there was extraordinary circumstaces. A section in the law also specifically states that USC convictions are not grounds to deny the beneficiary releif (visa) under the act. So you might want to check your information.

Whoa! Whoa! Hold the presses! This poster above is saying that IMBRA waivers have nothing to do with success of visa application and apply only to the foreign embassy requirement to inform fiance(e)???? Does anyone else have this same understanding? Is he the only poster who maintains this position???

In my case, I had to file a waiver because I have had two K1 visas in sixteen years. One in 1990 and another in 1997. Does this poster believe I needed to file this waiver so the embassy doesn't tell my fiancee of my prior two K1 visas? (of course she already knows). Does this poster above not believe my waiver request must be accepted and approved in order for the application to be approved??? That is not my understanding at all, and I would be very surprised if it were the case.

03/20/2006 - I-129F - Sent FedEX

03/28/2006 - NOA 1 (Receipt) - NOA issued from CSC

07/03/2006 - RFE (Receipt) - RFE Received

07/07/2006 - RFE and Waiver Request - RFE arrived at CSC

09/01/2006 - NOA2 - USCIS Email - Approved w/Waiver

09/22/2006 - Electronic Version - Manila - Embassy Received

12/13/2006 - Packet 4 Received via DHL

12/21/2007 - Medical St. Lukes

12/22/2006 - St. Luke's canceled medical in progress - required additional tests in Jan for upper respiratory congestion.

12/28/2006 - Interview Canceled because of congestion and cough during medical at St. Lukes

01/09/2007 - St. Luke's for 3 consecutive days of "sputum tests and finish medical"

01/10/2007 - St. Luke's for 3 consecutive days of "sputum tests and finish medical"

01/11/2007 - St. Luke's for 3 consecutive days of "sputum tests and finish medical"

01/12/2007 - St. Luke's for pulmonary exam - EVERYTHING CLEAR

01/15/2007 - St. Luke's for vaccinations and release of medical to USE

02/26/2007 - Interview APPROVED - 11+ months for K1 Visa

03/05/2007 - Visa in hand

03/05/2007 - CFO Completed

03/06/2007 - Arrived in Dallas

04/29/2007 - Married in Dallas

No sorry I was wrong, please check the more recent posts. The waivers are required for filing multiple K-1 petitions over the max limit. Sorry for the confusion.

DEAN AND SHERYL

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi,

I was going to start a new thread, but figure I may as well ask here since this is pretty related. My fiance (who is the USC) has a criminal record, three convictions to do with controlled substances (one for alcohol and two for marijuana), he was 16-17 at the time and is now 19. Would anyone have an idea on how much this will impact the application? Should we get a lawyer?

Haven't been able to start the whole process yet since we're both currently unemployed - I've technically got a job but waiting for there to be actual work to do, he didn't complete HS so needs a GED to get another job. Waiting sucks! Also, I'm 23 (24 in a couple of months), think the age difference is going to impact? A little off-topic but oh well.

Ell.

(PS: I'm new here but have been reading every inch of this site for the past couple of days and have already got some great tips, this is a a damn good site.. hi everyone :P)

Hi,

I was going to start a new thread, but figure I may as well ask here since this is pretty related. My fiance (who is the USC) has a criminal record, three convictions to do with controlled substances (one for alcohol and two for marijuana), he was 16-17 at the time and is now 19. Would anyone have an idea on how much this will impact the application? Should we get a lawyer?

Haven't been able to start the whole process yet since we're both currently unemployed - I've technically got a job but waiting for there to be actual work to do, he didn't complete HS so needs a GED to get another job. Waiting sucks! Also, I'm 23 (24 in a couple of months), think the age difference is going to impact? A little off-topic but oh well.

Ell.

(PS: I'm new here but have been reading every inch of this site for the past couple of days and have already got some great tips, this is a a damn good site.. hi everyone :P)

Welcome! He will need to disclose the convictions when you file the K-1. He will also be asked to provide certified copies of court and police records for these cases. The consular officer is then required to disclose these convictions to you at your embassy interview. These are not grounds for denying your visa. The age difference is nothing to worry about.

DEAN AND SHERYL

Well yes sort of LOL. Though the actual reason for denial is filing over the max number of petitions allowed. Which is grounds for denial whether you have convictions or not. You just aren't likely to be granted a waiver for an exemption to this part of the law if you are a violent offender. I'm like you just wanted to make sure people knew that having a conviction as a USC is not alone grounds for denial. And I wasn't really clear in my earlier until I read it again for like the 10th time. :P

6 of one, half a dozen of the other. :lol:

The IMBRA law itself is not easily understood. What law is? If you read the many different documents available it is easier to understand some aspects on how this law is or may be implemented by USCIS.

The denial of a petition and the denial of a visa because of a violent criminal conviction are not the same thing. I agree with a previous poster in that it is not good advice to be saying that a petition would not be denied under these circumstances as it very well may.

If you read the linked memo it does seem that an adjudicator can deny a petition by the very wording at the bottom of the memo. http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/lawsregs/handbook/DisclsCrHst050306.pdf

This memo is intended to provide guidance on when disclosure may be appropriate and not guidance on the adjudication itself. This memo is not meant to suggest that an adjudicator must approve a petition despite the petitioner’s conviction of a violent or sexual crime that may somehow lead, for instance, to a conclusion that the relationship is not viable, using adjudicative tools and procedures normally available.

Edited by aussiewench

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Timeline

Aussie, thank you for all your help. I have to tell you though, my head is spinning from all this IMBRA stuff. I hope to never hear this word again after this experience.

10/05/06- NVC received

10/17/07- Received NOA1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.