ellis-island

AILA versus Ho Chi Minh City Round 2

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi.

Several months ago an AILA* Board member contacted me and told me that

AILA was going to complain to DOS about the US Consulate in Ho Chi Minh City.

Apparently a lot of clients and lawyers were having a hard time.

(*American Immigration Lawyers Association)

I told the gentleman I thought it was a stupid idea to focus on one consulate,

when the problems with DOS are systemic, long-term and emanate from

management in Washington, DC - not from Ho Chi Minh City.

I also told him, that in some ways, giving specific reasons for refusals

on OF-194's, for example, HCMC is better than most consulates. Most consulates

just hand out bland, non-informative boilerplate on their refusals.

Anyway, I was confident nothing would happen, because AILA was involved.

I was right. Round I - nothing happened.

Round 2 has apparently started. I was contacted by a different board member and a

complaining attorney yesterday. But this time, they have some kind of organized

way to approach it.

I told them the same thing. It's a stupid idea to focus on one consulate.

Foggy Bottom is in Washington DC. AILA is in Washington, DC. Why don't

they take a taxi over there and complain to the people in the Visa Office?

I did make two recommendations to AILA if it wants to do something useful.

I thought I'd share those with VJ forumites. Some of you might find one or

both of them interesting. They're not limited to HCMC.

I'll post on developments as I learn of them.

"Thanks.

I have not complained about this consulate.

Two suggestions, if AILA wanted to do something useful, it could:

(1). Teach its members how to properly file an immigrant visa petition.

It's always a nice thing to interview the beneficiary - even if she lives in

a foreign country. Most immigration lawyers don't do that.

It's often helpful to conduct a full background check on the petitioner. By doing that,

a lawyer can point out problems in advance, the case is likely to encounter at a consulate.

The consulate sure as Hell will do that. The vast majority of immigration lawyers don't even interview

foreign beneficiaries and don't bother even to check who else is living in the petitioner's house, who

he might be sharing a checking account with, or carrying on his income tax or insurance.

That kind of legal practice is setting a client up for an ambush when the case gets to the consulate.

And you can't blame consular officers for immigration lawyers not knowing what the hell they are doing.

(2). Another helpful thing would be to bring the conduct of foreign national consular "investigators"

to the attention of a Federal District Court Judge in the DC Circuit. Perhaps there are some extra lawyers

sitting around AILA who could help out. .

Quite often, US Citizen petitioners are wrongly accused of marriagefraud.by these bozos. They operate in

a perverse system where DOS management expects them to find fraud, So they often make stuff up to please

their bosses.

It is not uncommon. Query your members about it and learn something.

This amateurish system set up by DOS results in serious damage to the lives and futures of US Citizen petitioners.

It happens in consulates around the world. It happens here. But it also happens elsewhere.

If AILA could query its members about the examples of this abuse they've seen, you will hear some horror stories.

A very good lawyer told me that one of his clients had a heart attack and died, when he first read what a consular

"investigator" had accused him of.

American families are being abused by this system. I don't understand why there is a focus on the line officers

in Ho Chi Minh City. That's ridiculous.

They work in a system. They have bosses. It's DOS Management in Washington who are responsible for the mess.

And it needs to be brought to the attention of a Federal District Court Judge. I will be happy to help and to give

specific case numbers and name names.

False allegations of fraud by foreign national investigators are causing damage to US Citizen Petitioners.

That is the bottom line. Maybe some of the lawyers in AILA might be intersted in that. .

Probably not.

m.e. "

Edited by ellis-island

Don't bet your whole future on what you read

on a message board or in a chat room.

This is not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is intended.

You should not infer one.It's information of general applicablity.

Do not take any action without first consulting a qualified immigration attorney in greater detail.

John Marcus "Marc" Ellis, Attorney

American Immigration Lawyers (AILA)

membership number 10373

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Reminds me of how copper wire was invented...two attorneys fighting over a penny.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Go for it, Mr. Ellis, and keep us informed.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
Reminds me of how copper wire was invented...two attorneys fighting over a penny.

:blink:

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Perhaps you'd like to explain exactly what this means?

It implies that two attorneys are holding firmly to the same penny and pulling on it so that it stretches so much that it resembles copper wire.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

It implies that two attorneys are holding firmly to the same penny and pulling on it so that it stretches so much that it resembles copper wire.

T-Bone Tex:

"06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC)..."

That is what my point is all about. Foreign national "investigators" making false

accusations against US citizen petitioners.

Your Stokes interview wasn't in Ho Chi Minh City. So why is AILA focusing

on HCMC? What happened to you is happening to US Citizens all over the world.

Edited by ellis-island

Don't bet your whole future on what you read

on a message board or in a chat room.

This is not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is intended.

You should not infer one.It's information of general applicablity.

Do not take any action without first consulting a qualified immigration attorney in greater detail.

John Marcus "Marc" Ellis, Attorney

American Immigration Lawyers (AILA)

membership number 10373

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
T-Bone Tex: "06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC)..."

That is what my point is all about. Foreign national "investigators" making false accusations against US citizen petitioners.

Your Stokes interview wasn't in Ho Chi Minh City. So why is AILA focusing on HCMC? What happened to you is happening to US Citizens all over the world.

True. Our FSN was actually quite nice. The deception came from the Guayaquil consulate itself -- fiancee thrown out of K-1 interview without being allowed to present evidence of relationship, USC (me) ordered verbally (consul to fiancee) to attend a second interview, so-called 221(g) paper issued with no indication that it was a 221(g) with the statement that "not enough evidence was submitted" and the "suggestion" that I attend a "marriage" interview, which turned out to be a Stokes. I was, in essence, blackmailed to appear -- on my own time & my own dime -- and not allowed to see an American. That second time, we overwhelmed them with evidence. The FSN told my fiancee (not me) that a decision would be made in two weeks. Therefore, the first non-interview was "Not enough evidence -- go away!" and the second interview was "Too much evidence -- go away!" After nearly 1.5 years, I remain livid.

What happened to us wasn't the worst. Go to the Ecuador embassy reviews here and read what happened with PDXBicycleBoy. I can refer you to two other active couples here who also got worse than we did.

Mr. Ellis, the IV Section Chief in Guayaquil at that time was Philip Linderman, who was (before that) most recently with the OAS for at least five years, specializing in -- get this -- anti-human trafficking. I don't know whether he brought that orientation to Guayaquil, or if he was peeved at being yanked from a cushy job in D.C. for yet another consular assignment (and Guayaquil isn't exactly a garden spot). Please inquire as you can, and for the sake of other Ecuador victims, please learn whether Linderman is still the Section Chief (and, if not, where he is now). People must be warned. Thank you!

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Other Timeline

Ah. Thanks for that.

Do you think then that has relevancy to Mr. Ellis' post?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.