rsn

Came to U.S. on K1, USC married someone else...

19 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

You might post the question here:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showforum=127

From what I understand you can't file I-360 unless you are married. I met a girl in California that came on a K-1 and the guy died before they got married. She was pretty much SOL.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

She can't stay. INA 245(d) says that a K-1 can't adjust status except on the basis of a marriage to the original petitioner. There have been a few sad postings here on VJ of people who fell in love with someone who had entered years ago on a K-1, never married the original petitioner, and stayed illegally. Such a person's status can't be saved even by a bona fide marriage to a USC.

There may be some delay tactics possible, but they're just delay tactics. If she only wants a delay tactic, she could probably go underground and hide out illegally for a year or so before ICE would catch her and deport her (not that I would recommend such action).

She should keep in mind that if she accrues more than 180 days of illegal presence, she'll be subject to a three year bar on admissibility if she ever wants to return to the US. If she accrues more than one year of illegal presence, she'll be subject to a ten year bar.

If, as a delay tactic, she files for something for which she is clearly ineligible, it will become a part of her immigration record. If she ever wants to get a future visa to come to the US, that kind of record of filing frivolous paperwork as a delay will make it exceedingly difficult to convince the consular officer that she's pursuing the visa because she's in love, instead of pursuing the romance because she wants the visa.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I know she'll have a face problem, to go home right away - but who says she has to go straight back home?

I suggest she leave now, then back to Thailand, then get work in an overseas agency, putting her in Dubai for a years contract.

Face is important, sure - but which trumps what, again /??

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

The attorney is a crook if he files for her as an Amerasian. Providing false information to USCIS is grounds for never ever getting to stay in the US. Even if he prepares a fraudulent claim, she is culpable as she will have to sign the form. A bonafide marriage or other means to stay or immigrate to the US would be foreclosed. You lie on an immigration form = You don't ever get to live in the US legally.

Here overstay on the K-1 visa is very bad.

There is no way for her to stay here legally. She needs to go home. Any delay tactics will only backfire on her in the long run. Absolutely, no K-1 for her in the future. No CR-1 visa either.

A K-1 is a non-immigrant visa. The purpose is to enter the US to marry a US citizen. If the visa holder does not get marry, then that person MUST go home.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.