DeadPoolX

Networking

53 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
Networking starts with hobbies.

SO true. I remember being very sad when I first moved here. I took the advice of some of the VJ'ers and followed my interests by joining a wine club. Holy cow. Talk about meeting the movers and the shakers in the community. It's unbelievable. And I've made some really great friends too! SO worth it. :luv:

OH also agree with the mainland/island thing. I lived in Nanaimo for about most of my childhood/teenager-hood. I lived in Vancouver for a couple of summers on break from Uni in Montreal and I used to ride my bike from downtown Vancouver to Horseshoe bay ferry terminal.

:o

Wow, iggy. You must have been in some shape!

But - the one thing that I think, that trumps all - is the local Chamber of Commerce. They have activities throughout the month. Get their calendar, go to all. If you are hesitant to actually GO, then become new friends with the Secretary - he/she will know all about business networking in that community - in my mind, that's a universal thing, if there's a ChamCommerce, there's that ONE person who knows all - so it's up to you to befriend him/her, suck that brain for knowledge acquisition, and go forth.

Chamber of Commerce is an excellent place to network!

This would explain why I am so damn sweet, right????

:D

:lol:

iagree.gif

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Dear Krikit... .

I AM sweet! As my friends. Oh wait, don't ask them!!!! Just take my word for it.

:whistle:

and re: the horseshoe bay cycling summer, I was in shape as well as a touch insane. Looking back on that now, it was HARD! I doubt I could do it now.

:)

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I've never understood the whole "networking" idea. If you have no one to network with (like me), how are you supposed to do it? I can't go up to random strangers on the street and start a conversation. I imagine they'd look at me like I'm insane. I know I would if someone did that to me.

This problem goes beyond work as well. My wife and I have no friends here and the only people we know are her family. That's great and all, but they have their own lives and are on Vancouver Island. That's a good hour-and-a-half ferry ride, if not more. That doesn't include the LONG drive from where we are to Horseshoe Bay. BC Ferries can be expensive, too.

We're not particularly anti-social (although we're not the most extroverted people), but it's really difficult to get to know people. Again, what are we supposed to do, strike up a conversation with someone on the street we don't know?

Part of the problem may relate to our work. My wife works at home and as of right now, I have no work at all. Add up our financial situation and rarely go out (not that there are a whole lot of entertaining venues where we live).

So I have to ask: how do you network when there's no opportunity to do so? :unsure:

I feel ya, DeadPoolX. My husband and I are introverts too but I'm working on that. :-) Here's what I do:

1) join clubs (i.e. Toastmasters. I belong to two clubs)

2) join meetup.com - It's a great site for people to get together for a variety of reasons

3) join Facebook

4) join a sports club (i.e. dragonboat teams)

Plant the seeds now, let some time pass and soon friendships will blossom. :-)

I'm already on Facebook (although that seems fairly useless unless I want to post videos, make inane comments and play games like Mafia Wars), but MeetUp.com and Toastmasters sound interesting. I'm going to give those a shot! :D

Timeline
Dear Krikit... .

I AM sweet! As my friends. Oh wait, don't ask them!!!! Just take my word for it.

:whistle:

and re: the horseshoe bay cycling summer, I was in shape as well as a touch insane. Looking back on that now, it was HARD! I doubt I could do it now.

:)

Chuckling @ Igg. I used to run marathons, lift weights and dragonboat. Now I can't even walk up a little hill without being out of breath!

I've never understood the whole "networking" idea. If you have no one to network with (like me), how are you supposed to do it? I can't go up to random strangers on the street and start a conversation. I imagine they'd look at me like I'm insane. I know I would if someone did that to me.

This problem goes beyond work as well. My wife and I have no friends here and the only people we know are her family. That's great and all, but they have their own lives and are on Vancouver Island. That's a good hour-and-a-half ferry ride, if not more. That doesn't include the LONG drive from where we are to Horseshoe Bay. BC Ferries can be expensive, too.

We're not particularly anti-social (although we're not the most extroverted people), but it's really difficult to get to know people. Again, what are we supposed to do, strike up a conversation with someone on the street we don't know?

Part of the problem may relate to our work. My wife works at home and as of right now, I have no work at all. Add up our financial situation and rarely go out (not that there are a whole lot of entertaining venues where we live).

So I have to ask: how do you network when there's no opportunity to do so? :unsure:

I feel ya, DeadPoolX. My husband and I are introverts too but I'm working on that. :-) Here's what I do:

2) join meetup.com - It's a great site for people to get together for a variety of reasons

3) join Facebook

I'm already on Facebook (although that seems fairly useless unless I want to post videos, make inane comments and play games like Mafia Wars), but MeetUp.com and Toastmasters sound interesting. I'm going to give those a shot! :D

Are you in the Vancouver area? You're more than welcome to join my two clubs. I'll show ya around. :-)

08-31-07: MARRIED!

USCS JOURNEY

04-18-08 : Mailed I-130

05-28-08 : Received NOA2

NVC JOURNEY

08-26-08: Mailed Choice of Agent (DS-3032)

09-19-08: DS-3032 received. Notice to pay IV Application Processing fee

06-08-09: Paid $400 IV fee and $70 AOS fee

12-21-09: Mailed AOS and IV package

12-28-09: Failed Login

01-07-10: Case complete!!!

MONTREAL EMBASSY JOURNEY

03-31-10 : Medical exam

04-27-10 : Interview date

11-12-10 : Received Visa

03-06-11 : USA entry

dVUNm7.png

Timeline

3) join Facebook

re: Facebook, I'm finding it pretty useless too, lol. I sanitized it (took of photos, interests information, etc) because I've just applied for a job to a company whose few employees are my FB friends. You can never be too careful, lol.

Are you in the Vancouver area? You're more than welcome to join my two clubs. I'll show ya around. :-)

Whoot! Networking in action! :dance:

I know, right? :-)

08-31-07: MARRIED!

USCS JOURNEY

04-18-08 : Mailed I-130

05-28-08 : Received NOA2

NVC JOURNEY

08-26-08: Mailed Choice of Agent (DS-3032)

09-19-08: DS-3032 received. Notice to pay IV Application Processing fee

06-08-09: Paid $400 IV fee and $70 AOS fee

12-21-09: Mailed AOS and IV package

12-28-09: Failed Login

01-07-10: Case complete!!!

MONTREAL EMBASSY JOURNEY

03-31-10 : Medical exam

04-27-10 : Interview date

11-12-10 : Received Visa

03-06-11 : USA entry

dVUNm7.png

Timeline

If I may chime in here...

Wouldn't it, uh, make sense if all of is immigrants and such here on this site networked? I mean, Wyatt and I are going to be neighbors, perhaps we could help each other get jobs at the chocolate shop and such.

Ya know? just sayin'....

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

I'm gonna have lots of buddies - Krikit, Arabella, Sam and Ben..

Bi-weekly meetings to commence! :D

Caffeine and chocolate provided on a rotational basis.

In all honesty, though, this is definitely something I'm worried about too. I'm hoping to be lucky on the job front - with a few strings I hope to be able to pull. But if that falls through, I don't even know where to begin. And friends... that'll be a difficult one too. When your hubby-to-be sticks to his man cave or hits a bar with buddies, I don't see many opportunities to pounce on.

I do think there's a library semi-nearby... so I thought to see if there was perhaps an opportunity to volunteer a bit each week. If nothing else, to get me out of the house until I can actually work.

Volunteering is a-okay while awaiting the EAD, right?

Edited by Sam and Ben

01/08/2010 - Applied for SSN in maiden name.

01/09/2010 - Married! Officially a Missis.

01/19/2010 - Received SSN in mail.

02/10/2010 - Sent I-485/I-131/I-765 to Chicago.

02/19/2010 - NOA dates for all applications.

02/22/2010 - Received NOAs in mail.

02/23/2010 - Applied for SSN for married name.

03/04/2010 - Applied for Florida DL in married name.

03/09/2010 - Biometrics appointment.

04/18/2010 - AP received.

04/23/2010 - EAD approved.

04/27/2010 - AOS Interview at Orlando USCIS (decision pending).

04/28/2010 - Card production ordered!

05/03/2010 - EAD received.

05/03/2010 - Welcome letter received.

05/28/2010 - Green Card received in mail.

01/26/2012 - Mailed RoC packet to VSC.

01/30/2012 - NOA date on application.

02/01/2012 - Cheque cashed.

02/05/2012 - Received NOA in mail.

02/10/2012 - Touch.

02/24/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice dated.

02/27/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice received.

03/23/2012 - Biometrics appointment.

09/20/2012 - Touch. Card Production ordered!

09/21/2012 - Touch.

09/24/2012 - Touch. Card mailed.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Absolutely !!! This is wednesday !! New Week !! get the @#$$@# out of the house and go !!

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Yep, it is, Sam. :) Since we'll be living quite close to each other, I can help you out. I have so much family in Orlando that it's ridiculous.

Montreal: BEAT!!! Approved!!!!!

event.png

Absolutely !!! This is wednesday !! New Week !! get the @#$$@# out of the house and go !!

Hehe, gotta move first. :P Then I'll get a-crackin'.

Yep, it is, Sam. :) Since we'll be living quite close to each other, I can help you out. I have so much family in Orlando that it's ridiculous.

It'll certainly be nice to have friends nearby. When are you back down there?

01/08/2010 - Applied for SSN in maiden name.

01/09/2010 - Married! Officially a Missis.

01/19/2010 - Received SSN in mail.

02/10/2010 - Sent I-485/I-131/I-765 to Chicago.

02/19/2010 - NOA dates for all applications.

02/22/2010 - Received NOAs in mail.

02/23/2010 - Applied for SSN for married name.

03/04/2010 - Applied for Florida DL in married name.

03/09/2010 - Biometrics appointment.

04/18/2010 - AP received.

04/23/2010 - EAD approved.

04/27/2010 - AOS Interview at Orlando USCIS (decision pending).

04/28/2010 - Card production ordered!

05/03/2010 - EAD received.

05/03/2010 - Welcome letter received.

05/28/2010 - Green Card received in mail.

01/26/2012 - Mailed RoC packet to VSC.

01/30/2012 - NOA date on application.

02/01/2012 - Cheque cashed.

02/05/2012 - Received NOA in mail.

02/10/2012 - Touch.

02/24/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice dated.

02/27/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice received.

03/23/2012 - Biometrics appointment.

09/20/2012 - Touch. Card Production ordered!

09/21/2012 - Touch.

09/24/2012 - Touch. Card mailed.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.