DeadPoolX

Networking

53 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I think knowing people to network is only half of it. Part of it takes a sort of fearlessness that can be really scary.

Obviously the easiest thing is to start with people you know, preferably in your industry. In your case, this obviously isn't an option. But don't rule out family. If there is someone that our in-laws know that work at a company you would like to work at or even might know someone at that company, see if they will help make an introduction or pass along their email. Then, send them a note and introduce yourself. Sometimes it might lead to something, sometimes not.

Second, industry associations and sites. These don't necessarily have to be Graphic Design related. Could be marketing and other business capacities that need to work with graphic designers (PR agencies, Event planners, marketing people etc.). There are also tons of conferences and keynote speaker nights where people go and meet others.

I love what everyone has said about hobbies. When I used to take dance lessons, I had been talking to one of the Mom's of a girl I danced with (I was 18 at the time and about to start University) and I had told her that I wanted to work in the marketing or communications field. It just so happened that her husband owned a Radio Production company and he offered to let me come and meet him and tour their office. At the time, I never really thought about that as networking, but if I had been a bit more strategic back then, I would've totally kept in touch and networked with him again.

Professional mentorship programs are also out there. I know of one for communications professionals where you get placed with someone more established in the industry.

Research, research, research. Find companies and places where you would ideally like to work. Find someone at the company to email to just meet for a coffee or a meeting. Make sure that you tell them you are not interested in a job, but just want to meet and introduce yourself. Sounds cheesy, but there are a lot of people who like to talk about themselves and will be willing to meet with you. Then, keep in touch through email to say hello and in the future, they may think of your if a position pops up. This requires time and effort, but in my opinion it's worth the investment to make a connection with even just 1 person. For every 20 people you email, maybe 1 will respond. It's not easy.

Another online option that is probably the easiest to start with is LinkedIn. Do you have a profile? There are tons of groups you can join on there and tons of message board type conversations happening. I think Meetups.com is also affilated with LinkedIn. There is a really popular tech meet up called Third Tuesday and that is set up through Meetups.com. I think it even started in Vancouver and basically anyone in the "tech" industry (and I think the term tech is used pretty loosely). But yeah on LinkedIn, you can get introduced to others through an online capacity.

Another thing that may or may not work for you would be to go back to the people from the city you used to live in. Maybe a professor or a friend and ask if they have any friends in BC that work in your industry or might know someone. That's where facebook might come in handy. Send notes to people even just to say hello.

This is just an aside but check out mediabistro.com for job postings, I think the majority are marketing/pr related but I could swear I've seen graphic design ones.

Also an aside... I'm surprised you think that graphic design is dead. I work in PR in a consulting capacity and we are constantly recommending microsite development and enhancing company websites. Obviously small businesses cannot afford graphic design in the same way as other bigger companies, but the business world is very much digital and based around smart and chic web design. May just be a geographic thing for you Deadpool but I think you need to keep a positive attitude and don't give up with the industry.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I work in online marketing and we hire designers every week for odd jobs. Perhaps it's a personal thing. We have no problem finding quality work at great prices (where I know they make decent money from us, I know what a good designer is all about)

Current Status
July, 2011 - US Citizen

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Yep, it is, Sam. :) Since we'll be living quite close to each other, I can help you out. I have so much family in Orlando that it's ridiculous.

It'll certainly be nice to have friends nearby. When are you back down there?

I get there January 15 in the early afternoon. You guys will only be about a 20-30 minute drive from where I'll be living.

Montreal: BEAT!!! Approved!!!!!

event.png

It's not that graphic design is dead - it's that there are a fair few people out there, businesses included, that don't seem to understand the difference between what their nephew can create in FrontPage or what actually takes hours and hours to code from scratch. Or everyone wants to be taught to "do it themselves", so they either never have to hire someone to create their site, or at the very least, can struggle around managing it themselves after creation.

Good to know, Mal. Looking forward to having a friendly face in the area. :)

01/08/2010 - Applied for SSN in maiden name.

01/09/2010 - Married! Officially a Missis.

01/19/2010 - Received SSN in mail.

02/10/2010 - Sent I-485/I-131/I-765 to Chicago.

02/19/2010 - NOA dates for all applications.

02/22/2010 - Received NOAs in mail.

02/23/2010 - Applied for SSN for married name.

03/04/2010 - Applied for Florida DL in married name.

03/09/2010 - Biometrics appointment.

04/18/2010 - AP received.

04/23/2010 - EAD approved.

04/27/2010 - AOS Interview at Orlando USCIS (decision pending).

04/28/2010 - Card production ordered!

05/03/2010 - EAD received.

05/03/2010 - Welcome letter received.

05/28/2010 - Green Card received in mail.

01/26/2012 - Mailed RoC packet to VSC.

01/30/2012 - NOA date on application.

02/01/2012 - Cheque cashed.

02/05/2012 - Received NOA in mail.

02/10/2012 - Touch.

02/24/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice dated.

02/27/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice received.

03/23/2012 - Biometrics appointment.

09/20/2012 - Touch. Card Production ordered!

09/21/2012 - Touch.

09/24/2012 - Touch. Card mailed.

Timeline
I've never understood the whole "networking" idea. If you have no one to network with (like me), how are you supposed to do it? I can't go up to random strangers on the street and start a conversation. I imagine they'd look at me like I'm insane. I know I would if someone did that to me.

This problem goes beyond work as well. My wife and I have no friends here and the only people we know are her family. That's great and all, but they have their own lives and are on Vancouver Island. That's a good hour-and-a-half ferry ride, if not more. That doesn't include the LONG drive from where we are to Horseshoe Bay. BC Ferries can be expensive, too.

We're not particularly anti-social (although we're not the most extroverted people), but it's really difficult to get to know people. Again, what are we supposed to do, strike up a conversation with someone on the street we don't know?

Part of the problem may relate to our work. My wife works at home and as of right now, I have no work at all. Add up our financial situation and rarely go out (not that there are a whole lot of entertaining venues where we live).

So I have to ask: how do you network when there's no opportunity to do so? :unsure:

By being a member of VJ you already started networking, you just don't realize it, as most of the people are all over the country etc. You have already struck up conversations here with people that you did not even know existed beforehand.

In my case i'm pretty much a loner especially after just moving. However with my dogs i have plenty of opportunity to talk to other people who have dogs in the park as well, or even the video store. Most of the time it is a random conversations that is struck while in line at the grocery store bank etc. At least that is how i go about it. :)

HWDWm6.png

Timeline

Also, my husband joined this design site called yayhooray - you need an invite but I am sure if you googled, you could find someone with one. When he first moved back to the Philly area he posted a thread asking about which firms were really well known and successful in the area - he applied to most of them and got the job he has now.

They're a bunch of designers showing things off like their sites, business cards, etc. I mean sure the lot of them are pretentious but you get your name out there, make some web pals and you eventually land yourself a job.

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

Also if you're a decent designer, go here: http://www.bravenet.com/global/careers.php

One of the best companies you could ever work for.

Current Status
July, 2011 - US Citizen

Timeline
Career

My career is (was?) in graphic design. As I've posted many times before, that field is practically dead. With the exception of the largest and most well established companies, most businesses don't understand the need for a professional graphic designer. They think the 13 year-old down the street can do the same job, but for a lot less. Even if they don't necessarily believe that, they'll have someone who already works for them do the designing, instead of hiring a new person or getting someone to work on a contract.

Seriously, I've had people try to bargain with me about prices. They've told me that instead of getting paid monetarily, having my work shown by them is "great exposure" and an "opportunity to get experience and add something to my resume." I get all of that anyway, but that seems to be lost on them.

They've also DEMANDED (as part of the contract) that I show them everything I did so they won't have to hire someone like me again. Worst of all, there have been people who've laughed when I told them I charge for my work. They really thought I was joking. When I told them I wasn't, I've heard all sorts of excuses such as "times are hard and money is tight" or "I have a family to feed." Great, but I need to make money too.

Why should I do work for them for free? Will they do work for me free? No, they wouldn't. But somehow graphic design has gone from a once viable profession into something considered a "child's hobby." :wacko:

Volunteering

I've volunteered with the BC SPCA and the local city government, where I instruct people on technology (mostly computers). You'd be surprised at how many people have NO idea how to work a computer. Some don't even know how to use a mouse.

But anyway... the people at the SPCA have no interest in anything to do with me beyond volunteering. I'm not a jerk towards them, but we simply have no common interests beyond volunteering at the SPCA. Most of the volunteers are middle aged women with too much time on their hands. Seriously, some of the "youngest" volunteers are close to 50 years-old (most are older). Maybe that doesn't sound old, but it's hard to find a common interest with someone from a different generation, especially those who're even older than my dad.

I have the exact opposite problem when teaching classes on computers. Most of the volunteers are in high school or in their very early 20s. I don't have a lot in common with teenagers or early 20-somethings. Besides, they wouldn't do a whole lot for me in either a social or businesses capacity.

Those who run both volunteering programs aren't interested in doing anything with volunteers beyond whatever is necessary. I do have them as work-related references now (which is lot more than I had before!), but that's as far as it goes.

A couple of things. I used to live in BC, and for four years, as an extrovert, I found it very difficult to meet people. I ended up making friends with mostly eastcoasters too. I found Vancouver area to be very cliquish. I also found the dating scene to be pretty low key too. Men would never make the first move, and were quite passive personalities. So at least thank god that you are married!!

Besides that, though on a personal front, since you are saying that the business that you are in is dead, then maybe just go back to get more schooling. UBC and UVic are great schools, and there are also some good colleges all around . Maybe you can enhance your job prospects and meet new people at the same time. Otherwise I would suggest a book club, or get involved with a hiking or outdoors-type club. One thing can be said for BC--it's natural beauty should be explored.

All the best

Edited by Angie'nMark

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey, thanks for the help/advice. I appreciate it. :)

Are you in the Vancouver area? You're more than welcome to join my two clubs. I'll show ya around. :-)

Yup. Moved to Vancouver last year. Which groups do you belong to? :star:

If I may chime in here...

Wouldn't it, uh, make sense if all of is immigrants and such here on this site networked? I mean, Wyatt and I are going to be neighbors, perhaps we could help each other get jobs at the chocolate shop and such.

Ya know? just sayin'....

That's an awesome idea. I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often.

I think knowing people to network is only half of it. Part of it takes a sort of fearlessness that can be really scary.

Obviously the easiest thing is to start with people you know, preferably in your industry. In your case, this obviously isn't an option. But don't rule out family. If there is someone that our in-laws know that work at a company you would like to work at or even might know someone at that company, see if they will help make an introduction or pass along their email. Then, send them a note and introduce yourself. Sometimes it might lead to something, sometimes not.

[sNIP]

Another online option that is probably the easiest to start with is LinkedIn. Do you have a profile? There are tons of groups you can join on there and tons of message board type conversations happening. I think Meetups.com is also affilated with LinkedIn. There is a really popular tech meet up called Third Tuesday and that is set up through Meetups.com. I think it even started in Vancouver and basically anyone in the "tech" industry (and I think the term tech is used pretty loosely). But yeah on LinkedIn, you can get introduced to others through an online capacity.

Another thing that may or may not work for you would be to go back to the people from the city you used to live in. Maybe a professor or a friend and ask if they have any friends in BC that work in your industry or might know someone. That's where facebook might come in handy. Send notes to people even just to say hello.

This is just an aside but check out mediabistro.com for job postings, I think the majority are marketing/pr related but I could swear I've seen graphic design ones.

Also an aside... I'm surprised you think that graphic design is dead. I work in PR in a consulting capacity and we are constantly recommending microsite development and enhancing company websites. Obviously small businesses cannot afford graphic design in the same way as other bigger companies, but the business world is very much digital and based around smart and chic web design. May just be a geographic thing for you Deadpool but I think you need to keep a positive attitude and don't give up with the industry.

My father-in-law is retired now, but he was a professional photographer for years. He was in-charge of the entire west coast of Canada for his company and hired/fired many people. He might know of someone. Besides, I've done some graphics work for him.

I have a profile on LinkedIn, but I never go to it. I probably should. I didn't think it would help much (seeing as how I really don't know anyone), but maybe I was wrong. I'll go back and work with it. I need to retrieve my password first, though. :P

I doubt very many people in Houston know anyone in BC. It's not entirely impossible, but still very unlikely. If anything, more people in Texas would know someone in Alberta due to the oil business done between them. I'll still give it a shot. :P

Mediabistro.com, huh? Never heard of it, but I'll check it out.

And finally... maybe the field isn't "dead" but the companies that actually understand the importance of it and make use of it are difficult to find. As I said, many businesses tend to be smaller ones and they simply don't understand what the difference is between a professional graphic designer and a junior high student who dabbles with his cracked version of Photoshop.

Maybe it's the area I live in, too. I don't know. It's hard to tell since I've never lived anywhere else in Canada.

I work in online marketing and we hire designers every week for odd jobs. Perhaps it's a personal thing. We have no problem finding quality work at great prices (where I know they make decent money from us, I know what a good designer is all about)

Seems you and Sapphire understand the field, but most don't. By the way.. what companies do you guys work for and do they need anyone to design something? :innocent:

It's not that graphic design is dead - it's that there are a fair few people out there, businesses included, that don't seem to understand the difference between what their nephew can create in FrontPage or what actually takes hours and hours to code from scratch. Or everyone wants to be taught to "do it themselves", so they either never have to hire someone to create their site, or at the very least, can struggle around managing it themselves after creation.

Bingo! :thumbs:

That's the problem.

Also, my husband joined this design site called yayhooray - you need an invite but I am sure if you googled, you could find someone with one. When he first moved back to the Philly area he posted a thread asking about which firms were really well known and successful in the area - he applied to most of them and got the job he has now.

They're a bunch of designers showing things off like their sites, business cards, etc. I mean sure the lot of them are pretentious but you get your name out there, make some web pals and you eventually land yourself a job.

Hmm... I'll look into that, too.

Edited by DeadPoolX

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I totally see what you're seeing. It's the same with public relations. Some people think that good PR is simply having someone they know with some "PR and marketing" experience write a press release or whatever. I think this challenge exists in every industry. There's always an element of sales involved in jobs like graphic design, PR, advertising etc.

DeadPool - Since I just started at this job, I have no idea who we use for design or if we even do the hiring for that (sometimes it's our clients). But how about this... I'll PM you my name on LinkedIn, add me there and I'll introduce you to a previous co-worker who works out of my old Canadian company's Vancouver office. I doubt she's hiring, but she might know someone in your industry that you can chat with or she might even be someone you can network with! Or, she may even be able to suggest some local indsutry events or networking events for you to check out. It's worth a shot! (I totally just thought of her right now).

Also - how up on Social Media are you right now? Do you Twitter? Twitter has a lot of random information/news that might help in your research and networking. I also like to read Brazen Careerist, Dan Schawbel's blog (he talks a lot about personal branding). Maybe there are ways for you to expand your graphic design skill set. For example, a Graphic Designer with social media understanding would be pretty interesting on a resume. Don't sell yourself short either, just because you don't have a degree. You can still put what you do have on your resume and sell yourself in other ways.

I'm sure I'll think of more to add... so I'll come back to this!

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline
A couple of things. I used to live in BC, and for four years, as an extrovert, I found it very difficult to meet people. I ended up making friends with mostly eastcoasters too. I found Vancouver area to be very cliquish. I also found the dating scene to be pretty low key too. Men would never make the first move, and were quite passive personalities. So at least thank god that you are married!!

I agree that dating sucks in Vancouver! I'm glad I found my guy...of all places, in Chicago.

08-31-07: MARRIED!

USCS JOURNEY

04-18-08 : Mailed I-130

05-28-08 : Received NOA2

NVC JOURNEY

08-26-08: Mailed Choice of Agent (DS-3032)

09-19-08: DS-3032 received. Notice to pay IV Application Processing fee

06-08-09: Paid $400 IV fee and $70 AOS fee

12-21-09: Mailed AOS and IV package

12-28-09: Failed Login

01-07-10: Case complete!!!

MONTREAL EMBASSY JOURNEY

03-31-10 : Medical exam

04-27-10 : Interview date

11-12-10 : Received Visa

03-06-11 : USA entry

dVUNm7.png

Timeline
Are you in the Vancouver area? You're more than welcome to join my two clubs. I'll show ya around. :-)

Yup. Moved to Vancouver last year. Which groups do you belong to? :star:

Fyrebyrdes is my main club (Fyrebyrdes.com). The crowd skews mid-20s to 40s, mix crowd. The other one I belong to is Quay Speakers which skews predominantly older women in their 40s-50s.

08-31-07: MARRIED!

USCS JOURNEY

04-18-08 : Mailed I-130

05-28-08 : Received NOA2

NVC JOURNEY

08-26-08: Mailed Choice of Agent (DS-3032)

09-19-08: DS-3032 received. Notice to pay IV Application Processing fee

06-08-09: Paid $400 IV fee and $70 AOS fee

12-21-09: Mailed AOS and IV package

12-28-09: Failed Login

01-07-10: Case complete!!!

MONTREAL EMBASSY JOURNEY

03-31-10 : Medical exam

04-27-10 : Interview date

11-12-10 : Received Visa

03-06-11 : USA entry

dVUNm7.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.