roman1982

Temporary Medical Insurance for USA

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi there,

I was just wondering what everyone has or is doing for medical insurance.

My fiancee can put me on hers once we are married but not before, so this leaves me uncovered from POE to the Wedding. I was reading a few posts, but none really from a UK perspective. I guess that travel insurance is out, as I would no longer be a resident of the UK once I enter. So what has everyone done? Temporary Medical Insurance through a US insurance firm, or something through a UK insurance form.

Just really interested to see what everyone has done, as I really do not want to be without cover in the US!

Thanks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I did not do anything.

I have read here that some have taken out cover.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

nope, but I've been looking into it and you can get like 1-2 months of insurance, if you're in relatively good health it shouldn't be too expensive; I saw some quotes for about $100 or so. I'll definitely be getting it for my fiance.

###### happens...

Don't want our marriage burdened by medical bill debts.

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

*-Hey,

I am from Ireland but we had similar issues, especially as there were also two kids to consider, and it is so easy for them to get sick (plus they needed catch up vaccinations). We went with Blue Cross Blue Shield's short term policy. You can get it for anything from 30-180 days and it covers routine visits, ER stuff, diagnostics etc- basically anything other than pregnancy or pre-existing conditions. It is a god policy, relatively cheap, and covers almost all doctors and hospitals, unlike some of the health insurances advertised on TV here.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

I can't remember the sites I looked at since it was a few months ago and my fiance's POE is hopefully in June 2010, sorry, but do some research on the subject, good luck! :)

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

My husband bought a temporary health insurance policy especially for immigrants. It was not very expensive, and he's a Type 1 diabetic. If you google search using "immigrant health insurance" several options will come up. I can't remember what company my husband used, but thankfully he never needed to use the coverage. Still, better to be safe than sorry.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.