Danno

Angry Atheist win in Washington State

52 posts in this topic

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why can't they celebrate at govt. buildings? After all, we own them. They're "our" buildings.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline
I assume you are referring to the Establishment clause, which is also the basis for tax and other exemptions for faith based institutions so that they will not be burdened by government demands. How can a government not show a preference if it only displays the symbols of certain faiths at a particular time of the year when Christians celebrate Christmas? I haven't seen government building decked out for Ramadan lately, and that's ok. Christmas music in elevatorsfor two months is enough for me.

And for obvious reasons. The largest religion in this country is Christianity. Whenever I have gone to a Muslim nation, Islam is obviously in my face 24/7.

Who's stopping them from celebrating it in their homes and churches, clubs and rented halls, like the rest of us celebrate our holy days? Does that require shoving it down everyone's throats?

You or your ancestors must have missed the memo coming in. The same way you missed it in Aus, UK Europe etc.

Don't confuse our hospitality for stupidity. I am not afraid to fire up the oil vats again ;)

The Founders wrote about a Creator and a generic God. There's nowhere in there anywhere where it says, "our Christian God."

What other God would there be? It was a given back then.

Not really.

Must have been Allah. Sorry but your ancestors obsession with the west, is only recent. So that rules him out. Hindu maybe. Buddha?

Actually, Islam came here with Muslim slaves in the 1600's. Jefferson had a Quran in his collection and knew the book well. Islam is not new here, it just seems so since 9/11.

Yeah, the NOI's been quite active for a long time!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
Why can't they celebrate at govt. buildings? After all, we own them. They're "our" buildings.

And I guess under the same logic some here profess.....we can have free speech too........ at home.

The gov should neither favor nor hinder the community of faiths.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Timeline

Not the same. There was no NOI before 1930. In contrast, the first prophet of Islam was Adam.

They're our buildings, too, and we don't do Christmas.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Not the same. There was no NOI before 1930. In contrast, the first prophet of Islam was Adam.

Who is stopping you from doing a display when your holidays come?

Certainly not me.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

In contrast, the first prophet of Islam was Adam.

( :blink: Christians!) :lol:

So nobody should do Christmas in public?

Русский форум член.

Timeline

Who is stopping you from doing a display when your holidays come?

Certainly not me.

On government property? My government.

In contrast, the first prophet of Islam was Adam.

( :blink: Christians!) :lol:

So nobody should do Christmas in public?

Not at state or federal buildings, no. Church grounds are in public, hint hint

I have a question, plz. Christmas is December 25, one day, every year. What is the Christmas season all about?

They're not stopping anyone or "forcing" anyone to participate. As long as everyone has an equal right to "participate" then it's good to go because you can choose not to participate in something. Now I would agree a big cross with baby Jesus on it staring you in the face when you're trying to renew your license plates may be a bit much. But, if little baby Jesus is outside in a nativity scene in front of your city hall, what's the big deal? Same goes with having call to prayer played several times in the office. Probably a bit much in the BMV. But, if it's outside city hall, what's the big deal?

So where do you draw the line? County govt.?

I have a question, plz. Christmas is December 25, one day, every year. What is the Christmas season all about?

Compare to Ramadan. The "season" is about getting in the spirit even though there's only one special day. There are even 12 days of Christmas. (You've heard the song!) - Except little Christian kids eat chocolate every morning instead of fasting all day.

Русский форум член.

Timeline

They're not stopping anyone or "forcing" anyone to participate. As long as everyone has an equal right to "participate" then it's good to go because you can choose not to participate in something. Now I would agree a big cross with baby Jesus on it staring you in the face when you're trying to renew your license plates may be a bit much. But, if little baby Jesus is outside in a nativity scene in front of your city hall, what's the big deal? Same goes with having call to prayer played several times in the office. Probably a bit much in the BMV. But, if it's outside city hall, what's the big deal?

It's about Jesus, and that's about a specific religion. They have had Jesus in front of government buildings, but they don't go that far for any other faith.

So where do you draw the line? County govt.?

I draw the line at no government.

Compare to Ramadan. The "season" is about getting in the spirit even though there's only one special day. There are even 12 days of Christmas. (You've heard the song!) - Except little Christian kids eat chocolate every morning instead of fasting all day.

Ramadan doesn't get a season here.

To be completely honest, Christmas isn't as pronounced in public now as it was in years past, and I like it that way.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

U.S. Postal Service issuing Islamic postage stamps (September 2001; October 2002).

President Bush removing his shoes and visiting a mosque (Dec. 5, 2002).

President Bush putting a Quran in the Presidential Library (October 2005).

President Bush celebrating Ramadan for the first time in the White House (Oct. 18, 2005).

U.S. Rep. Keith Ellison, a Muslim, taking his oath of office upon a Quran (2007).

Presidential candidate Obama reciting Muslim prayers in Arabic, saying it is "one of the prettiest sounds on Earth at sunset" (New York Times, Feb. 27, 2007).

U.S. Speaker Nancy Pelosi putting on Muslim hijab veil during a trip to Syria (April 2007).

President Bush appointing a Muslim, Zalmay Khalilzad, to be the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations (April 17, 2007).

President Bush removing his shoes and visiting a Mosque a second time (July 27, 2007).

U.S. First Lady Laura Bush putting on Muslim hijab veil during trip to Persian Gulf (Oct. 29, 2007, Jerusalem Post).

A second Muslim, Andre Carson, is elected to the U.S. Congress (2008). Presidential candidate Obama mistakenly says in a George Stephanopoulos interview, "My Muslim faith" (Sep. 7, 2008).

President Barack Hussein Obama elected, whose middle name is that of Muhammad's grandson (November 2008).

President Obama bows to Saudi King Abdullah (April 1, 2009).

President Obama says America is not a Christian nation (April 6, 2009).

President appoints devout Muslim Arif Alikhan to key position in the Department of Homeland Security (May 6, 2009).

President Obama does NOT publicly recognize America's traditional National Day of Prayer (May 6, 2009).

President Obama says America is one of the largest Muslim countries (June 3, 2009). President appoints Syrian-born devout Muslim Kareem Shora to key position in the Department of Homeland Security (June 5, 2009).

President Obama broadcasts a Ramadan message to Muslims of the world (Aug. 22, 2009).

President Obama publicly recognizes the Muslim Ramadan with a dinner at the White House (Sept. 1, 2009).

Hundreds of Muslims gather at the U.S. Capitol to bow toward Mecca (Sept. 25, 2009).

White House's first full-veiled Muslim woman adviser, Egyptian-born Dalia Mogahed, praised Shariah law as "gender justice" (Oct. 4, 2009, on London-based TV discussion program "Muslimah Dilemma," hosted by Ibtihal Bsis, a member of the extremist Hizb ut Tahrir party).

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Seems like those same atheists travel from state to state, city to city, even in the unknown state of Wisconsin.

Our city owned a camp ground south side of town that had a statue with the words, "The Great Philosopher" engraved on the base. These atheists insisted that was a statue of some guy by the name of Jesus, although no one really knows what Jesus looks like, but definitely an historic figure. After a lawsuit, the city sold just that land the to a group of private citizens and we put a sign on it stating this was private property. Not enough for the aesthetics, we ended up buying the entire park, but couldn't handle the camping end of it, so closed that down.

These atheists seem to have lots of money to hire the very best attorneys and to file lawsuits. But I really don't have the slightest idea what their motive is.

We have gone overboard with this seperation of church and state stuff. Is America is going to hell in a hand basket :unsure:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

In an American city where Muslims are large in number, yes the government should be able to celebrate along with the people. The government is supposed to be there for we the people. The government is not supposed to be disconnected from the people.

Nothing wrong with a government leader or building in such a city celebrating Ramadan. Now, if the city only endorsed Muslims and rejected all other religions, yes then this would be a problem, as per the United States Constitution and the Constitution of most other first world countries.

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.