marie007

Return home.

10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello all;

The last time I wrote I wanted to return home to my country. I was very ill. I am now home and feeling much better. I have an appointment with my Doctor.

At the border, the USA custom ask me to return my green card, as they told me it would interfer with my medicare. I gave it to them, was fingerprinted and explain by them I may not return to live unless I stand in front of a judge. I don't plan on returning to live , ever. We are all different, it was not for me. I found Troy, Missouri a very dark place.

I found work here, and slowly will start to get my life in order. I have a lot of good friends and family who are helping me get furniture and so on. Yes, I miss my husband, but not as much as I thought I would.

I have a question , is my husband suppose to write or contact immigration, to tell them I am no longer in the USA, as I was a CR-1. I was only there for 4 months. It felt a lot longer. What happened to me, does not mean it will happen to anyone else. I love being in my country. There was a lot of things my husband did not share with me. It's not that he is not a good man, he is. I wish all of you for a safe journey.

Marie

Timeline

sorry it didnt go as planned. Glad ur feeling better, health is extremely important!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

i'm sorry it didn;t work out. Its not exactly something that anyone can foresee. no one can understand how huge the change is until they go through it. you're better off now and thats all that matters

..The time line ..

04/04/2007 met in person

22/10 2008 engaged

29/03/2009 I-129F Sent

06/04/2009 money order cashed

13/04/2009 I-129F NOA1

20/07/2009 NOA2 petition approved

08/12/2009 Packet 3 Received

08/13/2009 Packet 3 Sent

09/14/2009 Medical Toronto

06/11/2009 interview PASSED!

15/11/2009 Visa Rcvd

14/02/2010 POE Sault Ste Marie ON

26/03/2010 Married

AOS

05/10/2010 mailed

05/17/2010 check cashed

05/21/2010 NOA1 rcvd

06/15/2010 Biometrics(Grand Rapids MI)

08/20/2010 interview (approved)

ROC

08/21/2012

10/13/2012 biometric

waiting

Timeline

Hi Marie,

Welcome back to Canada. Sorry things didn't work out for you and that you have had such a hard time.

The border officer didn't really need to take your Green Card, but if you told him you intend to relinquish your U.S. permanent residency/move back to Canada permanently - then he did the right thing. Did he have you fill out a form as well? an I-407?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Sorry it didn't work out Marie, but I'm glad you're now home and can get your life back on track. All the best to you!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Hello all;

The last time I wrote I wanted to return home to my country. I was very ill. I am now home and feeling much better. I have an appointment with my Doctor.

At the border, the USA custom ask me to return my green card, as they told me it would interfer with my medicare. I gave it to them, was fingerprinted and explain by them I may not return to live unless I stand in front of a judge. I don't plan on returning to live , ever. We are all different, it was not for me. I found Troy, Missouri a very dark place.

I found work here, and slowly will start to get my life in order. I have a lot of good friends and family who are helping me get furniture and so on. Yes, I miss my husband, but not as much as I thought I would.

I have a question , is my husband suppose to write or contact immigration, to tell them I am no longer in the USA, as I was a CR-1. I was only there for 4 months. It felt a lot longer. What happened to me, does not mean it will happen to anyone else. I love being in my country. There was a lot of things my husband did not share with me. It's not that he is not a good man, he is. I wish all of you for a safe journey.

Marie

I know you probably don't want to tell too much- but what kinds of things did you encounter that you felt you weren't prepared for?

It might help others . . .

02.09.2007- Met online (EverQuest 2)

07.11.2008- Met in person (Orlando)

02.14.2009- Got engaged (Toronto)

K-1

03.13.2009- NOA 1

08.24.2009- NOA 2

11.20.2009- Montreal Interview Approved!!

02.01.2010- POE @ Lewiston Bridge

02.25.2010- Applied for SS#

04.29.2010- Beach Wedding!!

AOS

05.27.2010- NOA 1 for I-131, I-485 & I-765

06.18.2010- I-485 transferred to CSC

06.21.2010- Biometrics

07.22.2010- EAD & AP approved

10.28.2010- RFE for I-485- They lost our medical!

12.09.2010- Green Card in hand!

ROC

09.14.2012- Mailed I-751 to VSC

10.26.2012- Biometrics

04.11.2013- 10 Year Green Card approved! No interview :)

8zs8cuv3suq7.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm sorry that things didn't work out for you Marie, and glad to hear that you are back on your feet and doing much better.

Your husband doesn't need to do anything with regards to your immigration status. When you handed your green card back at the border, you effectively told them that you were no longer a permanent resident at that time and they would have recorded that on your immigration paperwork. It is all taken care of and there is nothing further either of you need to do.

Good luck. I hope everything continues to improve for you, and that life treats you well.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Hello Trailmix;

I don't know what the forms I fill out at the border. I do know I was fingerprinted. And I did get a copy. I don't plan on ever returning to the USA. This is my home. I found a job, that pays well. I have to get all furnitures all over again, but you know I feel safe and content to be here. Even if I have to do without a few things for a while that is ok. One thing it is hard working a new job, I was at my last job for 20 years, and I miss that life, but there is no time to look at the past. It is done. I wish all here good luck with their jouney. For me I belong here in Canada, my home. Thanks to all who help me and did not look at me like I give up too soon. It 's what I wanted, to come home.

Marie

Hi Marie,

Welcome back to Canada. Sorry things didn't work out for you and that you have had such a hard time.

The border officer didn't really need to take your Green Card, but if you told him you intend to relinquish your U.S. permanent residency/move back to Canada permanently - then he did the right thing. Did he have you fill out a form as well? an I-407?

Thanks.

I'm sorry that things didn't work out for you Marie, and glad to hear that you are back on your feet and doing much better.

Your husband doesn't need to do anything with regards to your immigration status. When you handed your green card back at the border, you effectively told them that you were no longer a permanent resident at that time and they would have recorded that on your immigration paperwork. It is all taken care of and there is nothing further either of you need to do.

Good luck. I hope everything continues to improve for you, and that life treats you well.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Hello all;

Marie

There are better places to live in Missouri.

Sorry it didn't work out. Best of luck to you!

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.