Tom and Milaren

Need green card to open bank account?

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Niue
Timeline

Here is the situation: My K1 fiancee arrived in US 10/6 so technically her visa expires 1/6/10. We were married 10/15.

We went to California DMV this week to get an identity card, but they would not give her one because she did not have 60 days remaining on her visa. DMV says she will have to wait until she has her GC to apply for an identity card or driver's license.

Today she went to open a bank account but they would not open one unless she has a DL or GC. Does this sound correct? She does not have a PRC driver's license.

So she can't drive or open a bank account until she has a GC?

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Guangzhou, China

I-129F Sent : 2008-11-26

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-12-01

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-02-28

NVC Left : 2009-03-17

Packet 3 Received : 2009-05-15

Packet 3 Sent : 2009-06-23

Packet 4 Received : 2009-07-24

Interview Date : 2009-08-06

Visa Received : 2009-08-11

US Entry : 2009-10-06 San Francisco

Marriage : 2009-10-15 Sacramento

I-130 Submitted : 2009-11-03

I-485 Submitted : 2009-11-03

I-130 NOA : 2009-11-09

I-485 NOA : 2009-11-09

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

the k-1 visa is not enough.

most places have other id requirements -

usually - the validity or duration of the 'id' must be at least 6 months.

did you guys get the SSN thing yet?

the bank requirements come in sideways because of the Patriot Act, but the bank officers aren't known for correct interpretation of the regs.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline
the k-1 visa is not enough.

most places have other id requirements -

usually - the validity or duration of the 'id' must be at least 6 months.

did you guys get the SSN thing yet?

the bank requirements come in sideways because of the Patriot Act, but the bank officers aren't known for correct interpretation of the regs.

Yes, have SSN. Expecting EAD in late December to early January, but no bank account to deposit funds - seems to be a Catch 22. I'm assuming I can't add her to my account without the required id.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Most banks only require a SSN and some sort of picture ID to open a bank account. After my wife got her SSN but before we actually got married I added her to 2 of my accounts at 2 seperate banks plus opened her an individual account as well - no green card or EAD was required. The banks only required that she have a SSN and accepted her passport as a picture ID.

I was able to open a bank account as soon as I had my social security card. I just went in with my passport, social security card and proof I was here legally. All banks are different I guess but I think you just have to prove legal status.

I also got my drivers license in NH. I just needed copies of my paperwork and to take my tests again. The only problem is standing in line at the DMV for 3hours because they don't do appointments.

I did all this on a J1 visa so K1 shouldn't be too different, especially if you have NOAs and a SS card.

Adjusting from J1

06/15/07: Met at summer camp

06/02/08: Came back to camp, started dating

01/12/09: Returned to US for internship

05/02/09: Married in NH

10/12/09: I-130, I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago Lockbox

10/14/09: AOS Package received in Chicago

10/21/09: Checks for I-130 and I-485 cashed

10/23/09: Received rejection notice for I-765 (Used outdated version of form, duh)

10/24/09: Received NOAs for I-130 and I-485

10/26/09: Resent updated I-765

10/28/09: RFE for I-485

11/02/09: Received RFE letter for I-864

11/05/09: Sent RFE back and received Biometrics appointment for 11/19 (I-485)

11/09/09: Received NOA for I-765 (finally!)

11/11/09: RFE received, case resumed

11/19/09: Biometrics done for I-485 (and I-765 without appointment letter!) - both touched PM

12/03/09: EAD card production ordered

12/07/09: EAD received

12/10/09: Received an e-mail saying I-765 was approved.... a little late!

12/11/09: Received interview appointment letter: January 11th, 8:40am

01/11/10: APPROVED at interview!

01/19/10: Green card received (It's not green.)

Timeline
I was able to open a bank account as soon as I had my social security card. I just went in with my passport, social security card and proof I was here legally. All banks are different I guess but I think you just have to prove legal status.

I also got my drivers license in NH. I just needed copies of my paperwork and to take my tests again. The only problem is standing in line at the DMV for 3hours because they don't do appointments.

I did all this on a J1 visa so K1 shouldn't be too different, especially if you have NOAs and a SS card.

I think CA law is more strict on DL. I imagine it was part of an effort to make it difficult for illegal aliens to get a DL. From the CA DMV website:

"The California driver license and ID card have been declared as primary identification documents in this state by the California legislature. State law requires every applicant for an original California identification (ID) card and driver license to show verification of birth date and proof of legal presence within the United States to help safeguard the accuracy and integrity of departmental documents."

Here is the interesting thing - had there been 60 or more days remaining on the I-94, my wife could have gotten the ID card (or DL) but it would have expired on the date the I-94 expired.

I mention this for any other K1 visa holders coming to California.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I had problems similar to yours. I was able to add my wife's name to may bank accounts as she had her social security number. We also showed our marriage certificate and her passport when we added her name to my accounts. They did require a social security number as they are required by law to report interest earned on any savings account to the IRS.

We went down to the local office of the Dept. of Motor Vehicles office to get her a State I.D. card. The local office allowed us to apply for the I.D. using her passport, SSN, and our marriage license. However, the state refused to issue one because there were not enough days left on her I-94. I called the state office and they said we could go down town and appeal. When we got down there they explained that she needed some proof that she would be staying in this country at least 180 before they could issue an I.D. and I would probably have to wait until she received her green card. I pulled out her Advance Parole and pointed out that it was good for one year. After consulting with a few other individuals it was decided that they could issue her an I.D. based on the date on the Advanced Parole.

10-17-2006. I-129F filed.

10-19-2006. NOA1

01-25-2007. NOA2

02-12-2007. NVC notification saying petition is approved.

05-11-2007. Packet 3 received.

05-14-2007. Packet 3 forms sent.

06-16-2007. Packet 4 received.

07-03-2007. Medical examination.

07-10-2007. Interview. Passed!!!!

07-12-2007. Received visa.

07-18-2007. Applied for Marriage License.

08-04-2007. Fan arrives in the United States.

08-08-2007. Married.

08-24-2007. Applications for AOS, EAD, and Advance Parole.

08-30-2007. NOA for AOS.

09-07-2007. Applied for SSN.

09-18-2007. NOA for EAD and Advance Parole.

09-20-2007. Received SS card.

10-05-2007. Received appointment date for biometrics.

10-23-2007. Received Advance Parole.

11-02-2007. Biometrics.

11-06-2007. AOS transfered to CSC.

11-07-2007. EAD approved.

11-16-2007. EAD card received.

12-06-2007. AOS approved.

12-14-2007. Green Card Received in mail.

09-05-2009. I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence sent.

09-16-2009. NOA and biometrics appointment received.

10-13-2009. Biometrics.

10-26-2009. USCIS email. Approved. Card production ordered.

10-29-2009. Approval notice, dated 10-26, arrives in mail.

11-02-2009. Green Card arrives in mail.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

K-1 can get a SSN, you can then use the SSN at the bank. You can apply for SSN up to a week of the I-94 expiration.

Not a China topic, moving.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

While bank clerks may prefer to have the things they requested, it is not required. It took a couple of phone calls by the clerk to find out how, but my wife was added to my account without an SSN nor drivers' license, nor EAD.

Each state has its own driver licensing regulatioins, all designed to prevent illegal aliens from obtaining them for ID purposes.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

We went through the same thing, our AOS IO understood this when you are suppose to show proof of shared expenses and bank accounts. But they do give a conditional green card that finally gives you this opportunity. Like my Sen. Feingold, I read the same 80 some odd pages of the APA and can see why bankers are apprehensive in opening an account. In contradiction to all this, America is suppose to encourage foreign investors into this country, that they are doing in the sense that the other half of the world owns us. And I can guarantee you, was not trying to open a 25 million buck account with my wife's name in it. During the nine month period, my wife was here legally, but wasn't, termed that the Twilight zone. But after you get that conditional green card, you better start to open all these accounts and start putting everything in your spouses name or that ten year card won't be approved. Definitely do a joint tax return, your condition spouse will have no problems in paying taxes.

Can tell you that friends we made in this immigration that didn't have joint tax returns, joint ownership of legal property like homes or vehicles, really can't show joint ownership of a toaster, joint bank accounts, health, life, and auto insurance, now even joint utility bills, had problems during either the conditional or USC phases. So based on their bad experiences, we did all that, the word is RFE, request for evidence, should be request for more evidence of a financial relationship, they never asked us if we were in love or having sex together.

With advice from my immigration attorney at the time, told my wife to get an international drivers license that my auto insurance company recognized, even dropped my rates when I added her to my policy, figured I was no longer a careless bachelor. So she wouldn't be locked up in a room for that period. She did volunteer work when I was working, can't get paid during that time. That was good for her because after she got her conditional, everyone wanted to hire her

But at the same time, it was hell trying to please one government agency when we had yet another government agency fighting against, really hit home how fvcked up my country that I was expected to lay my life down for has become. I only use that f word when I really get disturbed. Was really disturbed.

Filed: Other Timeline

Are you sitting down?

You can be a sheep farmer in Mongolia, making out with sheep all day long, and you can have a US bank account. Yes, I know they tell you otherwise, but it's a load of sheep sh*t.

You don't need to be a LPR in order to move money. You can be in Tibet and open a Chase bank account, then, just hours later, move Millions of Dollars.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Other Timeline

I think CA law is more strict on DL. I imagine it was part of an effort to make it difficult for illegal aliens to get a DL. From the CA DMV website:

"The California driver license and ID card have been declared as primary identification documents in this state by the California legislature. State law requires every applicant for an original California identification (ID) card and driver license to show verification of birth date and proof of legal presence within the United States to help safeguard the accuracy and integrity of departmental documents."

Here is the interesting thing - had there been 60 or more days remaining on the I-94, my wife could have gotten the ID card (or DL) but it would have expired on the date the I-94 expired.

I mention this for any other K1 visa holders coming to California.

If that's the exact wording from the DMV website, then she can probably get a DL or ID card once she receives her EAD (aliens who aren't legally present can't get an EAD). That is the way it works in my state - have EAD, can get state ID.

Go back and ask to speak to a manager at the DMV.

And go to another bank or ask to speak to a manager at yours. No one should need permanent residency to open an account.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Ya, I'll second that - with an EAD, can get OTHER ID in California - the clerks look at the expiration date of the EAD, find it's more than 6 months, and then 'they can do' ...

Such a joy, really !!

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.