TomandHongyan

marriage in USA

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Could someone please tell me the correct answer. Ok, I have a friend that has a fiance in China, she just informed him that she has a visa to come to the USA in Feb. 2010 with a group singers to perform in New York. They think they will get married in New York when she comes in Feb. Then she will go back to China and they think it will be easy for her to get a visa to join her husband in the USA. while they file for a visa I think I-130. Is this true and easy for her to get a visa like this. All information is needed. Thanks

Silverfox5859

Well it is possible for someone to come on a non-immigrant visa, then marry and then go home to await the processing of petition and visa.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Could someone please tell me the correct answer. Ok, I have a friend that has a fiance in China, she just informed him that she has a visa to come to the USA in Feb. 2010 with a group singers to perform in New York. They think they will get married in New York when she comes in Feb. Then she will go back to China and they think it will be easy for her to get a visa to join her husband in the USA. while they file for a visa I think I-130. Is this true and easy for her to get a visa like this. All information is needed. Thanks

Your friend with the fiance needs to come to this sight and study the spouse immigration process but clicking on the word Guide at the top of any page here. Yes, this is possible. I wouldn't call it "easy" but that's what we do here.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
Well it is possible for someone to come on a non-immigrant visa, then marry and then go home to await the processing of petition and visa.

Yes, but they think it will be very easy for her to get a visa to join her husband while they wait for her visa, maybe 6 month visa then she would return etc. I'm not sure what kind of visa that is or if it is possible

Silverfox5859

Timeline

Yes, but they think it will be very easy for her to get a visa to join her husband while they wait for her visa, maybe 6 month visa then she would return etc. I'm not sure what kind of visa that is or if it is possible

No, it will not be very easy. In almost all cases, particularly coming from China, they will spend at least six months apart waiting for her CR1 visa.

People with immigrant intent are not eligible for visitor visas to the USA. A woman with a US Citizen husband has immigrant intent. If she already has a multiple entry visa of her own, she could use it to visit but I expect the visa she has is for a single entry for the performance or performances that cannot be used again.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

No, it will not be very easy. In almost all cases, particularly coming from China, they will spend at least six months apart waiting for her CR1 visa.

People with immigrant intent are not eligible for visitor visas to the USA. A woman with a US Citizen husband has immigrant intent. If she already has a multiple entry visa of her own, she could use it to visit but I expect the visa she has is for a single entry for the performance or performances that cannot be used again.

Yes, you are right, her visa is for 14 days and only 1 entry. So by him and her getting marriage in the USA has no value, and for her to get another visa would be very hard? Not easy?

Edited by TomandHongyan

Silverfox5859

Yes, you are right, her visa is for 14 days and only 1 entry. So by him and her getting marriade in the USA has no value, and for her to get another visa would be very hard? Not easy?

Let's put it this way - visa is for 14 days and at POE she will most likely be given 14 days on I-94. If she decides to overstay that date she may get in trouble and possibly not receive another visitor visa.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline

Yes, you are right, her visa is for 14 days and only 1 entry. So by him and her getting marriade in the USA has no value, and for her to get another visa would be very hard? Not easy?

Let's put it this way - visa is for 14 days and at POE she will most likely be given 14 days on I-94. If she decides to overstay that date she may get in trouble and possibly not receive another visitor visa.

No, she is planning to go back after her 14 days, but they think it will be easy for her to get another visa to come to the usa because they marriade in the usa, I teld them, not true, a K-1 visa is quicker, my finace interview is 12-28-09 which took longer then most (9) moths to interview date.

Silverfox5859

No, she is planning to go back after her 14 days, but they think it will be easy for her to get another visa to come to the usa because they marriade in the usa, I teld them, not true, a K-1 visa is quicker, my finace interview is 12-28-09 which took longer then most (9) moths to interview date.

It's not going to be any quicker - the only difference is they will be going for the CR-1 visa thus avoiding the extra $1010 for AOS.

I doubt the embassy will issue her a new tourist visa when one of the questions on the application for visa is are you married, name of your spouse. If she lies, she commits fraud, faces a ban for misrepresentation.

They're still looking at 6+ months of separation time, and this is something not avoidable.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline

It's not going to be any quicker - the only difference is they will be going for the CR-1 visa thus avoiding the extra $1010 for AOS.

I doubt the embassy will issue her a new tourist visa when one of the questions on the application for visa is are you married, name of your spouse. If she lies, she commits fraud, faces a ban for misrepresentation.

They're still looking at 6+ months of separation time, and this is something not avoidable.

I like to explain it this way. In the long run you must accomplish all three of the following.

1. Get them here.

2. Keep them here.

3. Keep them here forever

One is the visa, then two is the two-year green card and three is the 10 year green card with full LPR status. Going the K1 route may be a month or two faster for the first phase but the CR1 accomplishes both one and two above in a single process. The associated hassle and expense is far less overall going the CR1 route.

The main reason most people think of the K1 as being faster is that by the time they are looking into it, they have already met, just got back from a trip and can't go again anytime soon. So, the practical choice is the K1 because they can file now instead of waiting until they can arrange to get married. When the planning begins prior to the first visit, the CR1 route often becomes more attractive.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

When & where will they perform in NY?

02/2003 - Met

08/24/09 I-129F; 09/02 NOA1; 10/14 NOA2; 11/24 interview; 11/30 K-1 VISA (92 d); 12/29 POE 12/31/09 Marriage

03/29/-04/06/10 - AOS sent/rcd; 04/13 NOA1; AOS 2 NBC

04/14 $1010 cashed; 04/19 NOA1

04/28 Biom.

06/16 EAD/AP

06/24 Infops; AP mail

06/28 EAD mail; travel 2 BKK; return 07/17

07/20/10 interview, 4d. b4 I-129F anniv. APPROVAL!*

08/02/10 GC

08/09/10 SSN

2012-05-16 Lifting Cond. - I-751 sent

2012-06-27 Biom,

2013-01-10 7 Mo, 2 Wks. & 5 days - 10 Yr. PR Card (no interview)

*2013-04-22 Apply for citizenship (if she desires at that time) 90 days prior to 3yr anniversary of P. Residence

Timeline

She will tell him tonight the date they will be coming in Feb. and I will post it for you. Thank for all the great input, I was sure it wasn't as easy as they thought it would be. If that was the case, every one would be getting marriade, as long as they could come to the usa first, most don't have that oppuntunity, as it is very hard to get a visitor visa.

Silverfox5859

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

They CAN get married in USA, at least at a courthouse, no problem.

She needs to return on China, though.

THEN , once he has the marriage certificate, he can file I-130 , go through all the stuff, with final step , an interview @ GUZ.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

She will tell him tonight the date they will be coming in Feb. and I will post it for you. Thank for all the great input, I was sure it wasn't as easy as they thought it would be. If that was the case, every one would be getting marriade, as long as they could come to the usa first, most don't have that oppuntunity, as it is very hard to get a visitor visa.

I suspect one of them read some outdated information about the K3 visa. A lot of the official stuff makes it sound like it's a quick and easy path. Back when the K3 was created, 8 to 10 months was a breeze for K3 if you compared it to 3 or 4 years for a CR1. My, how things have changed.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.