Marilyn.

Dad Spoke Only Klingon To Son For Three Years

25 posts in this topic

That's just nuts.

Even his kid knew it.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
I think all adults should be comfortable with at least two languages.

winchester and remington. :thumbs:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Sort of related...growing up, I thought my name was Goddammit and brother was Jesus Christ.

Pleasure to meet you Mr. Cosby. :lol:

I think all adults should be comfortable with at least two languages.

English and Obscenity. :lol:

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

I'd be interested to know what effect if any being raised essentially bilingual for the first three years of his life, even with an invented second language, has had on the son's ability to learn other languages. It's my understanding that Klingon is as much a language as Esperanto is, so I don't see any harm in what the dad did, especially since he said he didn't push his son when it was clear his son didn't enjoy communicating in Klingon. But if he wanted to start him on a useful second language while he was young enough to absorb it easily, something like Spanish or Mandarin might have been a better choice in the long run.

My younger brother was born in Japan and left when he was three. What he spoke at that point in his life was japanese due to our mamasan/housekeeper. I went when I was about 3 and when I returned to the US, I was bilingual. However, no one in 1962 thought anyone would ever want to know japanese so both of us lost that language.

I suck at foreign languages. My brother pretty much the same. I do have a very good japanese accent/pronunciation when I say japanese words which is pretty interesting to me!

My son went into a japanese immersion program while we were in Okinawa, he can still count and use some japanese but only because he keeps it in use. Pretty hard to do in Georgia! He is almost fluent in spanish after classes in high school and a job where he was the "interpretor" for hispanics who came in.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Syria
Timeline

lol gotta luv the nutheads :devil:

Timeline:

Sent in I-130 form: 01/29/09

Interview Date: 11/08/09 (APPROVED!)

Visa in Hand: 11/12/09

POE: 01/30/10 (!!!!) at JFK Airport in NYC... can't wait!

Got the green card maybe 8 weeks after 01/30/10...

TBC....

======================================================================

Sort of related...growing up, I thought my name was Goddammit and brother was Jesus Christ.

:rofl:

ROC

Date Sent : 06/07/2012

Date Received :06/09/2012

Check Cashed : 06/13/2012

NOA Date : 06/11/2012

RFE(s) :

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Greencard Received:

pwned_girl.gif

I feel bad when or if he ever needs to call 911.

*911 operator: "What is your emergency"

*kid: "Dad is lying on thing that is flat"

*911 operator: "Im sorry could you repeat that sir?"

*kid: "Dad is lying on thing that is flat!" growls the response.

*911 operator: "Ok sir a cop will be sent to your address to arrest you, prank calls to the 911 center is illegal."

I was a 911 dispatcher for four years and I hate to say that some of the calls I got were not far from this. lol

Edited by lyekka

ROC

Date Sent : 06/07/2012

Date Received :06/09/2012

Check Cashed : 06/13/2012

NOA Date : 06/11/2012

RFE(s) :

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Greencard Received:

pwned_girl.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cambodia
Timeline
He wasn't raised bilingual though. Heck, I was raised bilingual.

did you read the story?..lol the mom spoke only English to him...

Nope. Didn't read. Well, I read partly then went away. Came back lazily, and post. :rofl:

mooninitessomeonesetusupp6.jpg