Amby

people who are obese don't always know it

28 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

A good example I wish I thought of earlier and is similar, is most people don't know what they really sound like, but record your voice some time and listen to that... your voice might sound cool while you are talking because you hear it differently than the rest of us... my own voice sounds like kermit the frog when I listen to it played back, that's not how I hear myself though (this is also probably the main reason a lot of people who do bad impressions think they are good at them... it probably does sound right to them, but if they heard themselves recorded and played back, they'd realize it's not right at all).

Is obesity being measured by the BMI index? If so I can see why this is true. The people who are affected by this are probably mostly just tipping into the obese range rather than being the 300lb monsters one tends to think of as the 'obese'. For most women of average height, even being 160lb is probably classed as obese. However, without access to the figures this is only a guess.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Is obesity being measured by the BMI index? If so I can see why this is true. The people who are affected by this are probably mostly just tipping into the obese range rather than being the 300lb monsters one tends to think of as the 'obese'. For most women of average height, even being 160lb is probably classed as obese. However, without access to the figures this is only a guess.

Not quite at 160, but your point is still valid. A friend of mine insists that those BMI charts are way off because he's "big-boned". He's amazed that he's obese according to the chart. But looking at him, you'd most certainly call him obese. I think he's just in denial.

bmi-chart.jpg

Cool chart, thanks Jenn!

What I meant by the numbers, where the actual figures they used but presumably they were around this. So, 170 is about the tipping point for the ave height woman, ish?

That's probably into the 'feeling uncomfortable' range so there is a certain amount of denial going on unless an individual is carrying a lot of muscle which as we know does weigh more than fat.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I felt I was most comfortable with myself at around 155 or so... (I am almost 5'9") I am hoping to get there again ...

I had been lower then that but I thought I was too skinny...

Edited by Marilyn.
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Morbidly, and super-obese... there are cases in the obvious where the BMI scale converts easily to the obesity range index.

Has anyone heard of the exercise studies that showed that people have a better image of themselves after exercising just once?? Its the flipside of this study I guess you could say.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

Check out people of walmart for obese people that don't know they are obese. A bunch of other freaks too.

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

518.jpg

509.jpg

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Check out people of walmart for obese people that don't know they are obese. A bunch of other freaks too.

That website kills me. Don't these people have mirrors? Do people not know that going out in pubic wearing only underwear is inappropriate, at ANY time???

24q38dy.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline
A good example I wish I thought of earlier and is similar, is most people don't know what they really sound like, but record your voice some time and listen to that... your voice might sound cool while you are talking because you hear it differently than the rest of us... my own voice sounds like kermit the frog when I listen to it played back, that's not how I hear myself though (this is also probably the main reason a lot of people who do bad impressions think they are good at them... it probably does sound right to them, but if they heard themselves recorded and played back, they'd realize it's not right at all).

This made me snicker. My previous boss sounded like Julia child to me but I bet he did thought he sounded sexay! lol...Although one time someone called him m'am on the phone...

573.jpg

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Every morning I am wondering who that fat guy is in the mirror staring back at me :P

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne