Kathryn41

November 11 - Remembrance Day/Veteran's Day

32 posts in this topic

My favorite WWI poem is Sigfried Sasson's "Glory of Women". It's admittedly quite sexist, but when you think about the context, and the bitterness of a man in a foxhole, you can forgive it for its raw emotion.

Glory Of Women

You love us when we're heroes, home on leave,

Or wounded in a mentionable place.

You worship decorations; you believe

That chivalry redeems the war's disgrace.

You make us shells. You listen with delight,

By tales of dirt and danger fondly thrilled.

You crown our distant ardours while we fight,

And mourn our laurelled memories when we're killed.

You can't believe that British troops 'retire'

When hell's last horror breaks them, and they run,

Trampling the terrible corpses--blind with blood.

O German mother dreaming by the fire,

While you are knitting socks to send your son

His face is trodden deeper in the mud.

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

------------------------------------------

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

------------------------------------------

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
My son made me a poppy that I am wearing today. I thought it was adorable. He actually got his whole class involved and they made a mini project out of it, so every child made a poppy to bring home to their parents and his teacher attached a poem, not Flanders Fields, but another one.

It's surprising how many people here don't know about the poppy and it's significance. I mean there are many who do, but a lot who don't. I was talking to my co-worker and she said that they used to be really popular when she was younger and then it just kind of died out. Sad.

That's so cute!! Homeade poppy!! What a nice class project

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

today is a sad day ,its to remember all the soldiers

we also remember tony's Mom who has her b day today but sadly past just before christmas last year :(

Edited by Lona.C.

129f for K1 visa filed in march 07 check my timeline for full info

03 March 2008 , received welcome letter and 2 year GC yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh

22 NOV 2009 to lift condition GC expires 22 Feb 2010

24 Nov 09 send in I 751 ( ROC , in VT )

25 Nov 09 Your item was delivered at 12:10 PM in SAINT ALBANS, VT 05479 to INS .

30 Nov 09 Check Cashed

21 Dec 09 biometric

On March 9, 2010, we ordered production of your new card.

12 March 2010 received approval letter in mail

16 March 2010 10 year Green Card received in mail exp date March 09 / 2020

April 14/2017 send N400 

04/25/17 credit card charged 

04/25/17 e mail NOA send 

05/01/17 hard copy of NOA dated 04/25 received in mail

05/06/17 biometric hard copy in mail 

05/19/17 Biometric appointment in Hartford CT 

07/17/17 Inline for Interview 

07/24/17 Interview letter in mail 

08/24/17 Interview in Springfield MA ... Yes Aproved

09/14/17 Oath Ceremony .... done I am a US citizen

09/22/17 Applied for Passport ( per reg mail ) 

10/04/17 got passport in mail  

10/13/17 got certificate in mail  , updated status with social security office 

AM DONE YEAHHHHHHHHHHH 

Timeline
My son made me a poppy that I am wearing today. I thought it was adorable. He actually got his whole class involved and they made a mini project out of it, so every child made a poppy to bring home to their parents and his teacher attached a poem, not Flanders Fields, but another one.

It's surprising how many people here don't know about the poppy and it's significance. I mean there are many who do, but a lot who don't. I was talking to my co-worker and she said that they used to be really popular when she was younger and then it just kind of died out. Sad.

How sweet :) and good for him!

Joe (who is an army vet) said they used to have poppies when he was younger as well but that they haven't been around for a while. It may have been a cost issue, I don't know. My first year here I was astonished to find out that there were no poppies - so handmade one for Joe to wear to work. I asked a friend back in Canada to pick up several poppies and mail them down to us. We have been using them every November ever since. Yes, it is surprising - and sad - how many Americans have no idea of their significance, especially considering the number of US Veterans there are.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Now I may open myself up for critcism here but whatever.

You know, one thing I noticed from living here for 3 years now is that on 11/11 here, a lot of what I hear is about money and funds for veterans. I was listening to a radio program on my way home from work last night to "honor" veterans by telling stories about them. But, a lot of people who called up, were merely concerned with arguing that there is not enough money for Veterans. The department of Veterans affairs is one of the most exploited and poorly controlled departments in both the US and Canada. However, on 11/11, I don't want to hear about $$.

This one guy who called up about his friend "butch" who was never in combat but had hurt himself on a ship off the coast of Cuba or something like that...FORTY years ago...and complained that his friend has not received enough monetary compensation. The guy has been on disability for forty years...I mean I feel bad for him but...what are you expecting?

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

Some people here are SO ignorant :angry: This lady at work was talking about Veterans' Day, and yesterdays memorials, etc. Then she turned to me and said "I guess you had no idea what that was all about yesterday, since you're not American and all" And she said the word American like so snide and snotty.... God do people here think THIS country is the only one that recognizes our vets!? Hmmm maybe this should be in the vent thread :blush: You should have seen her look of surprise when I educated her about Canada and our pride and support of vets.... BEEOTCH!!

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

Hubby said last night as he was retiring for the evening (he's a vet).. I'm really glad that postal workers took a day off in my honor today..

He didn't get the day off yesterday.. sour grapes I say :)

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I admit I'm not that great with past history, but there is one radio show I enjoy listening to on the radio here in the DC area and at times I'm rdy to strangle the DJ's! Every now and then they go on about the great WW on how great the USA military was, saving the world, and yes they helped a great deal, BUT many countries were long involved before the USA was!!

On the bright side, I looked after a WWII vet last week at the hospital and want an honor it was!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

That's great, Flames. I bet that was very fulfilling.

The most disappointing thing? I work at a university and we didn't even hold 2 minutes of silence. It really hurt me. I always enjoyed going to my remembrance day event in Ottawa every November. Now I'm here and they don't even hold the silence?

Some times I think..you can talk about how great of a military you have...you can talk as though you are the only military to ever exist on the earth that has "saved" the world from all it's troubles. (although we all know that's not true of the US military) But, if you don't do the little things like observe two minutes or even a minute of silence....what's the point?

I heard years ago that a US Company complained about the two minutes of silence because during that two minutes they lost x% of productivity and that wasn't acceptable. Just kind of like..what?

My eyes filled with grit

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

The most disappointing thing? I work at a university and we didn't even hold 2 minutes of silence. It really hurt me. I always enjoyed going to my remembrance day event in Ottawa every November. Now I'm here and they don't even hold the silence?

Some times I think..you can talk about how great of a military you have...you can talk as though you are the only military to ever exist on the earth that has "saved" the world from all it's troubles. (although we all know that's not true of the US military) But, if you don't do the little things like observe two minutes or even a minute of silence....what's the point?

I heard years ago that a US Company complained about the two minutes of silence because during that two minutes they lost x% of productivity and that wasn't acceptable. Just kind of like..what?

I think a lot of it is due to a perverted sense of time and self-worth, plus a lack of education.

Think about it: there are messages everyday that say "you're more important than anyone else." Maybe not in those exact terms, but that's still the message and people eat it up (even if they aren't aware of it). Since people feel they're the "center of the universe," so a day to remember other individuals (none of whom they have any real contact with or from years ago) seems like nonsense to them.

I've heard some amazingly stupid comments before. Way back in high school, many students had no idea when WWI took place -- most confused it with WWII and some even placed the time period around the Civil War. Add to the fact that for a lot of people "ancient history" means what occurred five years ago (if even that far back) and you have a society that only cares about present, without thinking ahead or any regard for history.

Part of the problem regarding war is that history glosses over it. From junior high to even most college-level courses, the wars are considered minor events. I remember one history book giving WWI only one small paragraph; WWII received almost a full page.

Events that did get a lot of coverage consisted of social situations. In other words, Womens Suffrage got about 10 pages and the Civil Rights Movement had even more. I'm not suggesting either of those were irrelevant or shouldn't be learned, but I also think equal coverage should be given to world-wide events that changed the course of history (i.e. the two world wars).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I think a lot of it is due to a perverted sense of time and self-worth, plus a lack of education.

Think about it: there are messages everyday that say "you're more important than anyone else." Maybe not in those exact terms, but that's still the message and people eat it up (even if they aren't aware of it). Since people feel they're the "center of the universe," so a day to remember other individuals (none of whom they have any real contact with or from years ago) seems like nonsense to them.

I've heard some amazingly stupid comments before. Way back in high school, many students had no idea when WWI took place -- most confused it with WWII and some even placed the time period around the Civil War. Add to the fact that for a lot of people "ancient history" means what occurred five years ago (if even that far back) and you have a society that only cares about present, without thinking ahead or any regard for history.

Part of the problem regarding war is that history glosses over it. From junior high to even most college-level courses, the wars are considered minor events. I remember one history book giving WWI only one small paragraph; WWII received almost a full page.

Events that did get a lot of coverage consisted of social situations. In other words, Womens Suffrage got about 10 pages and the Civil Rights Movement had even more. I'm not suggesting either of those were irrelevant or shouldn't be learned, but I also think equal coverage should be given to world-wide events that changed the course of history (i.e. the two world wars).

Interesting - we spent weeks on WWI and WWII in my high school.

Montreal: BEAT!!! Approved!!!!!

event.png

Timeline

In highschool, I had entire year class in grade 10 on the first two world wars.

I then took a class in grade 11 dedicated to global history and we covered a lot, especially ones we weren't even involved in.

Believe me, I'm certainly not an expert in American history. I have a degree from university in it (I double majored in English and history) and I took a full year American history course at university as well..but I'm certainly still not anywhere where I'd like to be. But like you say, Deadpool, I guess history and wars have become more of a social relevance than anything. I just think a lot of places have sort of lost the meaning of it all. Remembrance Day is always sorrowful and many people carry a heavy heart on that day. But it was just sort of a normal day here. No one even mentioned it at work. I had to explain my poppy like 1 billion times and I work with a lot of educated people. It was just a very odd feeling.

My eyes filled with grit

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm jealous that you two actually got taught about the world wars in school. The only class I ever had that taught that subject was a specific university course entitled "Military and War in America." This went beyond the U.S., of course, but the idea was to teach military history that involved the U.S. somehow.

Seriously, if I wasn't such a history buff (specifically military) I wouldn't know a damn thing about the two world wars, much less any other conflict. I'm surprised at how little people really know. Very few I've met actually know the details of any war beyond whatever they've seen in movies.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
I'm jealous that you two actually got taught about the world wars in school. The only class I ever had that taught that subject was a specific university course entitled "Military and War in America." This went beyond the U.S., of course, but the idea was to teach military history that involved the U.S. somehow.

Seriously, if I wasn't such a history buff (specifically military) I wouldn't know a damn thing about the two world wars, much less any other conflict. I'm surprised at how little people really know. Very few I've met actually know the details of any war beyond whatever they've seen in movies.

agreed. however, that's a failing also on the individual as they can always pick up a book and read about what easily could be termed the greatest war ever fought in human existence.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.